1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

You know the drill: draft

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Feb 3, 2004.

1. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

doesn't woods run like a 4.7 40

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I'm gonna set out three basic assumptions and fill them from there

Assuming resigning Grant, James or fill their positions with FAs as typical; FA corner

31. Vilma, LB - I really don't think it's the huge need. But certainly, Fields; as well, I think that Witherspoon could play strong side if necessary.
    63. Keary Colbert, WR - the type receiver I'd like to bring as a 4th guy for the time being. He can learn the finer points of the game for a year. Technically sound.
    95. Travelle Wharton, OT - one year project. Mean, a gamer. Should be a good fit with this O. Another one year wait and learn player.
    127. Jeremy LeSeuer, CB - nickel candidate as well as punt returner
    159. Shannon Snell, OG - depth with pass blocking skill
    191 Kris Wilson, TE - at this point, just damn frustrated at not being able to find a TE of value at a pick

Assuming we neglect FS altogether:
    31. Sean Jones, FS - got lucky.
    63. Kelly Butler, OT - best value from the remaining needs. Keeping Steussie means getting to develop this player. Huge frame, has a lot of experience in pass blocking, needs to refine run blocking but has the ability. Kinda raw. 6'8, 320.
    95. Kendyll Pope, LB - raw, somewhat playmaking backer who can cover, provide depth.
    127. Randy Jordan, CB - size project.
    159. Darius Watts, WR - great value. Tall, but somewhat thin, player with deceptive deep game.
    191. Adrien Clark, G - road grater whose limits might be less exposed here. Depends on whether he can pull.

Assuming we resign Grant, James, Howard; add vet TE, cut Steussie without replacement (keep Tuten, Willig)

31. Deangelo Hall, CB - good chance of starting, can return kicks
    63. Nat Dorsey, OT - the moral of this story? Don't sit and wait and expect that the first rounder will just be exactly what you need and will be good value. Sometimes, a playmaker will come about, and you'll be deciding whether to take the defender who could add the missing piece to the D, or reaching for a tackle. Dorsey is another somewhat raw RT type.
    95. Rod Davis, LB - yeah, a guy who's somewhat of a middle to some guys. Just like him better than Pope, and I think he's got the coverage skills and versatility/size.
    127. James Newson - I don't really want the posession type so much, but he's a good prospect and good value here. The hope is that he can be Proehl in 2005 and Moose after that.
    159. Shawn Johnson, DE, Delaware - 6'5, 270 supposedly. Don't know his speed measurables but a somewhat polished pass rusher who can be developed as a backup. Some special teams ability.
    191. Rob Droege, OT, Missouri

Assuming we resign the above or fill with FA; cut Steussie and Muhammad without replacement (keep Proehl, return Dyson); sign TE, G.

31. Rashaun Woods, WR
    63. Dorsey, OT
    95. Pope or Davis
    127. Jeremy Williams, DT
    159. Kirk Chambers, OT
    191. Arnold Parker - raw player with size at 6'2 who might be able to help out as a backup CB or FS

And finally, if every worthwhile Panther retired today leaving the team with just scrubs, NFLE, and had to build a team from amongst these players (i.e., my favorite picks regardless of need) and leaving us only enough money to sign a random near-starting level RB, QB, and left tackle:

31. Rashaun Woods, WR
    63. Stuart Schweigert, FS
    95. Rod Davis, MLB
    127. Carlos Joseph, OT
    159. Shannon Snell, G
    191. Brandon Kennedy, DT
    223. Nick Newton, G

What would happen if Fox and the defense were out sick those two days:

31. Vernon Carey, G/T
    63. Dorsey, OT
    95. Jason Peters, TE (6'5, 320)
    127. Carlos Joseph, OT
    159. Jeb Terry,G
    191. Adrien Clarke, G

:D

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

No real need for Dockett unless we deem Buckner's knee shot. Burton's a starter waiting. Depth wouldn't be bad, but if we're drafting a project I'd rather it be an end.

Starks didn't have a good Senior Bowl. He does seem like he needs someone to whip him into shape. Would be a good pick here, but there are enough RTs out there we don't have to take that chance. The OTs and WRs seem top heavy, where most of the other areas are really, really deep.

Woods is kinda slow, but 4.7 is on out there as well. He's not a classic burner but the guy still schools people in college, so he should be able to train for speed and get into that Marvin Harrison type game.

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Nah. Not realistic enough. It makes it a lot easier to just go down for need, and basically say what position you want to fill first. In this, if you need an OT, and one's not there, you have to decide whether to reach or get a better player somewhere else. I don't dig that. When you pick, you know what's gone.
    Woulda been great if Ben Watson had lasted a few more spots, though. An absolute theft in the 3rd.

5. rams12bb

rams12bb Full Access Member

31 DeAngelo Hall CB 5'11 200
    63 Kelly Butler RT 6'8 320
    95 Rod Davis LB 6'2 245 or Kendyll Pope LB 6'2 225
    127 Tommy Kelly DE 6'6 295
    159 PK Sam WR 6'3 195
    191 Kris Wilson TE 6'3 240

6. Durden

Durden Full Access Member

31. Vilma - LB
    Can backup all three spots, smart, fast, good tackler.

63. Nat Dorsey - OT
    A little knock-kneed and that worries me. I think he is a 1st round talent. Sits for a year backing up Steussie and then takes the RT spot.

95. Matt Ware - CB/S
    Right...this would never happen. While I am not as big of a fan as some, too good of a value to pass up here.

127. James Newson - WR
    If we loose a reciever now, we are in trouble. Big enough to play ST, and block. Would start if a starter went down.

159. Cody Pickett - QB
    How the mighty have fallen. Peete looks destined to become a QB coach and we could use a long term project QB. The tools are all there. Who knows if he wants it bad enough.

191. Jeff Dugan - TE
    Slow, OK hands, blocks really well. Sounds like our kind of TE!

7. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

no PK sam and no kendyll pope.

blech.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Pope? Spill.

9. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i can't recall any big play that pope has ever made. but i do see him getting his ass run over a lot.

10. cathead

cathead Full Access Member

Pope's got the X for injured. What's with that. Dockett has the legal L.