1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

yet another Redskins signing $30.0m

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

Redskins | Team to sign A. Carter
    Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:05:39 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Washington Redskins are in the process of signing free agent DE/LB Andre Carter (49ers) to a six-year, approximately $30 million contract.

2. finleye

finleye como say what?

they've got to paying players under the table...but even if they are, no one for hear about for another decade probably. Snyder could give two shits about any draft picks he might lose that far down the line...

3. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

The players they have signed aren't that great are they?

4. Sackem90

Sackem90 Misplaced Panthers Fan

I don't believe this for ONE second!

Gibbs: 'Skins aren't circumventing salary cap

Associated Press
    Posted: 3 hours ago

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - Joe Gibbs defended the Washington Redskins' aggressive approach to free agency on Wednesday, dismissing any implication that the team is somehow circumventing the NFL's salary cap.

"The thing I want to emphasize is this: We haven't done one thing that anybody else can't do," the Redskins' Hall of Fame coach said following a news conference to introduce free agent signing Andre Carter. "We have certain rules in the league. Here's the cap, here's the numbers, here's what you can spend, so everybody in the league can do what we're doing, it's just that they choose not to, many of them."
    Despite starting the month some $13 million over the $102 million cap that was set following negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement, the Redskins have once again been one of March's busiest teams.

Since Saturday, they have traded for San Francisco receiver Brandon Lloyd and signed five unrestricted free agents: receiver Antwaan Randle El, safety Adam Archuleta, tight end Christian Fauria, backup quarterback Todd Collins and Carter. Randle El and Archuleta alone were given contracts with a combined $21.5 million in guaranteed money.

"Each team's a little different, how they want to build a team. ... Certainly Pittsburgh is a scheme that works, they won a Super Bowl," Gibbs said. "If you watch their team, there are a lot of draft choices, they're real conscious about that. It remains to be seen how we'll end up doing, but we've chosen to be more aggressive in free agency."

The Redskins put themselves under the cap by cutting five expendable players on the eve of free agency, and they also saved $4.4 million in the deal that made linebacker LaVar Arrington a free agent. Since then, they've been cutting cap dollars by renegotiating contracts with returning veterans, giving the players upfront bonuses that can be prorated for salary cap purposes.

Owner Dan Snyder's overspending in 2000 caused then-coach Marty Schottenheimer to make drastic cuts in 2001, but Snyder's strategy since then has been to map out a cap strategy using what Gibbs said were "three- to four-year spreadsheets." The goal is to shift cap money around in a coherent manner that keeps the team from being forced to part with players it wants to keep.

It hasn't worked perfectly - coveted linebacker Antonio Pierce left for the New York Giants last year - but Gibbs' free agency upgrades helped get the Redskins into the playoffs last year, and the overhaul continues. Only five projected 2006 starters were with the team before Gibbs arrived in January 2004.

The best free agent additions under Gibbs have been linebacker Marcus Washington, cornerback Shawn Springs, defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin and defensive end Phillip Daniels.

"People say, 'Why would you go get the free agents?"' Gibbs said. "Well, look at the guys we wouldn't have on our football team."

The Redskins are able to afford huge signing bonuses because Snyder's marketing savvy has helped make the team one of the most profitable in sports, but Gibbs downplayed the connection between Snyder's fortune and the team's free agency haul.

"The biggest misrepresentation there is that (it's because) Dan's got a lot of money. That's not it," Gibbs said. "We've got a rule. Believe me, if we had no rules, Dan would spend some money."

5. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

Please stop posting this shit before I start to dislike Gibbs, I beg you, I really want to continue to like Joe Gibbs!

Thanks in advance!:banginghe

6. buck nasty

buck nasty Full Access Member

can you say "circumventing the salary cap for jesus"

7. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Not a good way to convince people you are not doing anything fishy.

8. Boo

Boo Cornholio

they do this every year and still end up around 8-8

9. Paladin

Paladin Full Access Member

I haven't really looked at it, but I suspect that most of it comes from restructuring, thus players better get their money early in a contract from the Skins.

10. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Full Access Member

Yeah, they should draft a WR in the first round every year instead. :imagestor