1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

yet another FS thread!

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by rake, May 6, 2004.

1. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

2. Reznor

Reznor Sunspots

3. rake

rake Need one of these

Point taken Rez -

To throw one last shovel full of dirt on what appears to be an exhausted subject for now, we won’t really know what we have left at FS until the season is underway. It’s clear that most of us feel that we should have resigned Grant and whoever is left will be a downgrade. Even if we somehow got last gasp Bronson after June 1st is he as good for us as Grant? We could have paid Grant about what jax did and done without Meadows and Short too (as much as I do like Short). I think O-line is still a horse we can beat on for a while so in that spirit . . . Claridge seems like a good replacement for Donnalley and keeps us about even there. I think we could have gotten Stinchcomb for less than what Jeno would have wanted and had a bit of an upgrade. Not going after Stinchcomb and having him go to TB could really come back to haunt us. Stinchcomb is probably the best guard on all four rosters (Oakland, Tampa Bay, Miami, & Carolina). Then we’d just have to worry about settling on a RT. It sure as hell seems like it would be easier to find a vet lineman to replace what rookie Gross provided at RT than replacing a starting caliber FS.

4. Reznor

Reznor Sunspots

I wasn't trying to make a point, I just thought that site was funny given that so many of us here like to beat dead horses. :laugh1:

5. rake

rake Need one of these

This time of year there is nothing else to do but spank that carcass.

May is the longest month of the f'n year

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    >> we won’t really know what we have left at FS until the season is underway.
    :xyzthumbs

>>It’s clear that most of us feel that we should have resigned Grant and whoever is left will be a downgrade.

Probably on the last, but I'd say that about half of us didn't want Grant. Didn't necessarily seem to be for tangible reasons (example - willing to pay him $X, not wanting him at 2/3X once he signed). Some did suggest that a better corner wouldn't mean needing as good a safety.

>>Even if we somehow got last gasp Bronson after June 1st is he as good for us as Grant?

Maybe not. Would he be adequate? oh yeah. I feel so.

>>We could have paid Grant about what jax did and done without Meadows and Short too (as much as I do like Short). I think O-line is still a horse we can beat on for a while so in that spirit . . .

Possibly. We could've fit Grant into what we did, most likely. We're carrying a lot of backup money. Honestly, for what Richardson makes, we could fit Grant in.

....>>Then we’d just have to worry about settling on a RT. It sure as hell seems like it would be easier to find a vet lineman to replace what rookie Gross provided at RT than replacing a starting caliber FS

Yes. Though we could've done Meadows in our budget as well.
    Anyway, there were other options at RT - one could've assumed that a RT would be there at 31, but wasn't - but we could've done other things if we'd kept Grant first, and lost out on Meadows.