1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

yet another draft exercise

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Nov 27, 2003.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    may as well, at the 3/4 mark of the season

using this and including the standard rotating pick schedule, you get the Panthers picking at 26, 57, 92, 123, 154.

Only pick at or below the position: for instance, Marcus Tubbs at 26 is pickable but Rashaun Woods, unfortunately, isn't. Sucks, but randomizing the value list makes you be more creative.

I'll put in a rider on this one: You can pick any of the juniors at 26 that are listed. Explanations are welcome but not necessary.

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

All of the below assume keeping Grant, James, and Donnalley and offering to all our RFA and one impactive FA move.

Assuming only a WR upgrade in FA:

26. CB Dunta Robinson - And then I saw his game, now I'm a believer. Without a trace, or doubt in my mind, yeah.

57. Rod Davis, LB, Southern Miss. For one, the team locks onto picks, and then reaches for a similar when the first goes right above them. Vilma gets locked onto, they pick Davis, who might not be terribly fast for this defense but could lead it from MLB when he makes it to the field. Honestly, a four LB rotation that puts Fields out there at some points, Morgan at OLB at some points, and takes Davis out of the game for the extra DB and Morgan isn't bad. I will admit to really thinking that Davis is a special player and might not be a perfect fit.

92. Darius Watts, WR, Marshall - Panthers-type receiver who can get downfield a little bit, doesn't make mistakes, and won't make many plays. Won't get in the way and will replace Proehl in the basic things he does.

123. Will Poole, CB, USC - good value here. Athletic, instinctive, but lacks bigtime experience because he jumped around thanks to a hairy set of character problems.

154. Rob Droege, OT, Missouri - typical Panthers pick - smart, leverage player, with good technique who'll probably take some time to see the field.

For shits and giggles, a 6th rounder - Sean Ryan, TE, Boston College. Big target, good blocker, poor athleticism, decent routes. Typical Panther pick, being totally unconcerned with being able to have a TE faster than I am.

Assuming only a corner upgrade in FA:

26. Dontarrious Thomas, LB, Auburn.
    WR really sucks right now with Clayton, Woods, and Jenkins all going right above us, helplessly watching. But would we really take a first rounder with our priorities? Sadly, no, and this plays into that. Thomas is the active player I'd want, though it's a best player thing that brings him to this pick, a pick that suggests that Witherspoon might be filling in on passing downs and being the 4th linebacker until needed. There really aren't many other options on the board - I like Lee Evans, just not that high, especially with his injury past. Sounds silly but you take a chance on that guy ten picks later. Outside shot would've been Vernon Carey.

57. James Newson, WR, Oregon State.
    Nothing extremely special, but has some big play ability and can be consistent. Seems to be the type player who can get downfield without being a downfield-specific player.

92. Travelle Wharton, OT, SoCar - the typical USC lineman who plays too finesse, but light enough on his feet and raw enough that he can still become a punishing run blocker. Should be able to protect the right side in a couple years, and has that four year starting experience I like to see in linemen.

123. Isaac Hilton, DE, Hampton - sleeper DE pick who has speed, plays with leverage and works his hands well.

154. Alex Wade, FB, Duke. It happens every year, they draft a FB who

6th rounder - Derek Abney, Kentucky - the next O'Brien Pro Bowl return guy

3. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

Good list.

That was a good list to use as they have a top 150 far differnt then most,

26. Dunta Robinson CB. S.Car. agree here he's the best fit.

57. Kerry Colbert WR. USC. bad value according to the list, but wtf he's my guy and I have little use for value. besides he's a damn nice fit in our offense.

92. Brandon Chillar LB. UCLA. staying with the UCLA connection and has nice versatility. hits like a truck. nie coverage skills.

123. Arnold Parker DB. Utah. looked hard at Dexter Reid here but I just like the versatility that Parker brings.

154. Kirk Chambers OT Stanford. just found out about him, he's a nice fit in round 5.

4. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

From http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/mockdraft.htm

26. Carolina Panthers - Nathan Vasher - Texas (CB)
    2nd rd
    26. Carolina Panthers - Cody Pickett - Washington (QB)
    3rd
    26. Carolina Panthers - Jerricho Cotchery - N.C. St. (WR)

5. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

6. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

Assuming a CB in FA

26.Dunta Robinson CB-completes the needed upgrade

57.James Newson WR-best of the second tier guys

92.Travelle Wharton OT-can develop into a starter at RT

123.Dexter Reid FS/Lewis Moore LB-the pick here depends upon Grant's return.

154.Tyson Clabo G-time to groom some one to replace Donnalley

7. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Um, we're not at the 3/4 mark until after Sunday.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Two days difference over four months? It's still week 13, yes?

I don't see a 4th round pick replacing Grant, but noted him returning for this scenario.

9. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

LSU -(and vasher)

Michael Clayton wowed me today in the LSU game as did Corey Webster.

Vasher was a bit of a disapointment but did have a nice int, in the back of the end zone of the fade, and he certainly has the career numbers, just seemed out of position quite a bit today.

Webster moved ahead on my board.

10. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Well, if we lost 2 of our safeties or linebackers to ACL injuries this week against Philly, I'd say it would make a difference.