1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Yearly "DE that's gained muscle/weight" thread

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Apr 18, 2010.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    this year, it's Everette Brown. I remember the yearly "McC(g)lover has finally bulked up" threads, and there was one all the way back to Rucker. Maybe Peppers escaped it.

Panthers Brown growing into job, literally

We're going to have more on Panthers DE Everette Brown in the paper this weekend, but it's worth pointing out now that there's more of him.

When Brown arrived last year he looked, well, normal. Athletic, yes. But not like you'd think an NFL defensive lineman is supposed to look. Now he's added 10 pounds and he's going to have to find a tailor to let his jackets out, since it appears most of it is in his upper half. At 6-1, 260, he looks more like Dwight Freeney than Robert Mathis now, but said he doesn't think he's sacrificed speed for strength.

The hope is that it helps him hold up against the run better (although he was better than some expected at that last year), and avoid the midseason slump that marked his rookie campaign.

"I attribute that to a little time in the offseason, allowing my body to get well, but the biggest thing I changed was my diet, just eating better," Brown said. "I eat more, but it’s a better quality of food, better choices, and a balanced diet.

"I put on weight, but don’t feel heavy. The main thing for me is still speed, so I don't want to get too heavy and sacrifice my quickness. I've put on some weight, but I don't feel it when I'm running."

He's also growing in a mohawk, which looks out of character on the mild-mannered second-year end.

But to the credit of his offseason training, the mohawk's not nearly the first thing you notice when he walks in a room.

2. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Remember all the Fonoti articles about how he has lost so much weight? Keary Colbert always looked awesome early in the offseason.

3. The Special One

The Special One BALL HARD UNIVERSITY

You gotta admit, he's looking good!

[​IMG]

props to Shockers for this pic

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

he does look thicker.
    My first sentence and Thelt's out of character cynicism aside, he's the most talented guy we've had that needed to develop a little bit. I set Peppers aside because he never really learned some of the little things - the hard weight training, the technique, but this isn't a Peppers commentary thread.

So, if 10 lbs of muscle help him, at 6'1, 260 he's more dense than most ends that have his ability. He's got moves, a good array of them. A little weight now, maybe a little more later, he looks ready to play.

5. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

Still bitter about them cutting him?

6. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

Maybe if he puts some paint on his face and barks a little we can call him little dog/John Randall Jr. ?

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

I mean, it's not like Hurney was going to keep Fonoti just because he said some nice things that didn't turn out to hold water once he hit the field.

8. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

You don't want him to get that much heavier, though. He's light but that's his game.

9. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

Agreed.

I don't like the mohawk. Reminds me too much of Merriman.