1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Yankee ---Pizza

Discussion in 'Food & Drink Forum' started by chipshot, Nov 2, 2007.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    sugar, but you really can fuck it up going too much. Same with carrot or carrot juice. I really didn't do that much to it at all, including the acid. Could've done better there. But the good dough really brought it along.

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

a few pies to contribute...pics are from phone so crappy quality. I'm getting better at it, and mostly I just like the freshness and variety.

[​IMG]

mushroom, peppers, onions.

[​IMG][​IMG]

peppers, pepperoni. Mushrooms on one side.

[​IMG][​IMG]

this was marinated mozzarella. It got too hot too fast, partially because I cook at very high temps and partially because I was waiting on the wife to get home, and she drug it home a lot slower than I was expecting.

[​IMG][​IMG]

this was prosciutto and local smoked goat cheese. Still a mozzarella bed of course, the goat cheese was sprinkled. Was fantastic.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

made another this weekend ...this time I did prosciutto, basil, and fresh smoked mozzarella. I wanted to try the different smoked cheeses on it and smoked mozzarella made the most sense. Really tasty but the mozz doesn't want to shred well, and the other cheese was shredded so I figured that'd work best. I guess I needed to slice it instead. Of the three I liked using the smoked goat cheese most, as a crumble, because it held up but was different enough from the shredded mozzarella to stand out, the smoked mozzarella just blended in too much, was too homogenous.
    The smoked gouda shriveled up quickly but did have a very distinct taste.

Now I gotta come up with something new to try, I guess. Maybe it's time to work on making my own dough, but I'm really not that concerned with dough. For $3, why triple the amount of work I need to do?

4. jazzbluescat

jazzbluescat superstar...yo.

I think the taste of the dough is the main difference between frozen pizza and not frozen. just saying

Get with the dough, Mag. And toss that thing up in the air!

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Using fresh dough from a local place already. The next step in that process would be to make my own - I do fresh sauce already - and my guess is that i'd come out behind in both time and money making my own dough.

6. El Bastardo

El Bastardo Who me?

Get the ready made dough balls at Trader Joes...just dump it out the bag...toss in the flour a bit and roll out. They're like $1 and are just as good as if you made it from scratch.

Pardon my ignorance Mags, but wouldn't smoke mozzarella technically be called provolone?

7. HollyB

HollyB Iz Lives

Try one with sun dried tomato, gouda cheese and roasted garlic. Really good.

8. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

especially with alot of pepperoni and meatballs....

9. HollyB

HollyB Iz Lives

:toetap05:

and Magnus, I meant to say smoked gouda not reg gouda.

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

wish I had a Trader Joe's nearby. I do already have a good source for fresh dough.

No, that's not provolone. Just fresh mozzarella with a smoked flavor to it. I'm not terribly impressed with smoked mozzarella, but I'd like to retry it with slices or trying it as the base cheese. Marinated mozzarella was better, left an herb taste in the cheese that would be tough to get otherwise and had just a bit of heat in it as well. Either way, using fresh mozzarella really kicks the price up a good bit, $5-6 for cheese by itself.

I could also just switch things up a good bit and start making stromboli. I'd feel a little more festive using pepperoni, sausage, etc doing that. I could do something with peppers and onions to go with fresh sausage, that'd be something I haven't done. Just doing it margherita or neapolitan is always solid, but I like to mess with it.

Might do that. Could also do a white pizza, pretty close I guess.