1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

y2b is Frank Garcia, former Panthers center

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Purrsy, Oct 29, 2012.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    You talk for a lot of people who don't really ask you to speak for them, and "this was said in chat" isn't really working out well either. The thing is, I'll take %completions, % per route, yards per route, QB rating over stuff that people have decided long ago.

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

I'm surprised you haven't learned your lesson about lying by making up fake quotes. I can't even remember the last time I was in chat, but it's been over a year I'm sure. The stuff people have been saying about Gamble is posted all over these forums. If I missed someone besides you trying to paint Gamble as one of the best corners in the league then I will gladly admit my mistake, so please find those quotes, otherwise don't make bullshit excuses when I point out that no one else sees him like you do.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

chat's actually broken, too. Sorry about that*. I was probably referring to "so and so said in a game thread". Sourcing a statement to chat sounds more like last year.

I don't know. This, like everything, is somehow personal, but that's why something like PFF is useful. They don't give a shit about that. They chart games, and they output statistics. I like that a lot more than just INTs and PDs, and that's a ton better than the awful shit Garcia was talking about (hashtagging #statsareforloosers was interesting) or other hearsay and "well this person agrees with me". I have no reason to doubt PFF stats, and they don't have any axes to grind in this.

FWIW, they also have him missing a shitload of tackles, though not more than the safeties over the last few years obviously, which is something I'd more or less forgotten about.

*OMG HE CAN'T EVER ADMIT BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH

4. Playa

Playa The coach is a near

I'm going to set my guess a little low here and go with 5 pages.

5. Mills51

Mills51 Full Access Member

Have you found a way to get more than 20 posts per page?

6. finleye

finleye como say what?

I do. And regarding stats in general, many make the mistake of misinterpretting stats, or overvaluing what it is the stats actually say. I did major in math as an undergrad, worked as an actuary for a number of years, and am generally qunatitatively inclined, so I'm probably better trained than most...but the ability to distinguishing the signal from the noise is somewhat of an art ...a skill that is quite useful on message boards as well, ironically enough.

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

I don't think PFF has any intention of making Gamble look better than he is, but subjective analysis is subjective. No matter how much they attempt to quantify cornerback play or line play, football is still a far too nuanced and complex game to be distilled down into discrete numbers at most positions. Obviously you don't believe that Gamble is the best corner in the NFL even though PFF's statistics list him as such. I don't ignore them entirely, as I accept that they indicate he's done a good job overall, but I've also watched the games and noticed with my own eyes that he gives up easy completions past the sticks on third downs. I still like Gamble and want him on the team, but I am sternly rejecting the notion that he is "fantastic."

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Really doesn't bother me if you don't like my adjective, but again it's very bizarre to rely more on offhand statements you also attribute to other players (and determined more or less by the coverage/coaches in general) like "he plays off" than "subjective" stats like completion percentage or QB rating. Stats might not be exactly where you want them, but they're definitely better than "seems likes" and honestly things said in the heat of the moment.

9. y2b

y2b King of QC

so what's the actual number on missed tackles?

10. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

good lord