1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

XP PRO

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by SandMan, Feb 3, 2003.

1. SandMan

SandMan A Man Of Trust

If I recall when you buy XP Pro you do not have to get that freakin code from Microsoft. Is this true? Also, If I understood it correctly you could load on more than one pc. (without breaking law - if that matters:). Is that true?

2. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

No.

3. BearBryant

BearBryant Full Access Member

you are allowed to to load the same copy of XP on a desktop and laptop. You have to call Microsoft.

4. barracuda

barracuda Provocateur Extraordinair

or make your own code :rolleyes: FUCK MS.

5. biggmark

biggmark Full Access Member

You're thinking of XP Corperate.

6. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

My XP Pro was successfully loaded on both of my home computers. I am adding a new one upstairs for daughter later this spring, are you saying I won't be able to do this?

7. BearBryant

BearBryant Full Access Member

I've heard the activation only last 120 days. After that you can install xp on another pc with no problem.

8. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

XP Pro Corporate has no Activation code... XP Pro retail does... I have a copy of each... I ACTUALLY bought one!! LOL... but since have gotten the Corp edition for my laptop... your best bet is to get the corp edition and load it where ever you want

9. barracuda

barracuda Provocateur Extraordinair

and you call yourself "the Brain"...

10. Bootay

Bootay Poppycock

Just the facts, ma'am:

Windows XP Home and Pro require activation with a license code, which is checked against a database that MSFT controls. You can use the same code twice, usually, without having to talk to someone to clear it. You can usually get by with additional activations in 2 seconds if you just talk to the person (if you wiped out the PC and put in substantial new hardware and need to re-install, if you buy a new PC and trash the old one, etc.).

Windows XP Pro OEM (Dell, etc.) come in a special edition that DOES NOT require activation. DELL's copy was released to the Internet fairly quickly, so some people have it. NO ONE should have it...

Windows XP Pro Corporate (Select) comes in a special version (yes, different bits) that can be setup multiple times with the same activation code, but it does require a code. That code was issued to a particular company, so it can be traced if it makes its way onto the internet, therefore these are not easy to find. And again, you need the corporate bits as well, as only the pair (corporate key + corporate bits) will work together.

Bootay the Magnificent.