1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

WR screen

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Purrsecutioner

Purrsecutioner Full Access Member

No kidding. I like the play---in moderation. But it sure doesnt work when the mechanics are as you stated.

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

Carter can do it too, although I agree that Jake checks to it too often.

3. Fred Smoot's Father

Fred Smoot's Father the future is bright

Carter took a smoke route 30+ yards just before half in the playoffs vs. Chicago. Colbert has proven that he can handle that route, in moderation.

But, yea. When we're tossing it to Karl Hankton, we're just being stupid.

4. SixMileDrive

SixMileDrive Junior Member

I love the play honestly.

Carter has had some sucess with it and Colbert picked up like 8yds on it in the first drive of preseason. Jake's arm is plenty strong enough to get the ball there fast enough when the corners are off. Its pretty much a guaranteed 5+yds.

The main purpose though is to prevent cbs from playing 10yds off. If they are closer to the LOS it gives Carter or Smitty a much better chance of beating their man deep.

5. CelticCat

CelticCat ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Agreed, Carters done it a few times for real. His size and speed make him a possibility. Like the end around where he broke one off too.

Incidently, anyone else notice how much stronger his legs look this year.
    Looks like a full year healthy really did him some good.

Mags, about the gimmick. Is it really a gimmick because it seems more like a staple play of ours. They always refer to it been the equivalent of a short run when it only gains 3-4 yards. I dont think we'll ever get rid of it.

Im just worried we use it so much even the scrub players will be more clued in.

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

True, but I worry about better corners baiting Jake into making that throw by playing off when he's checking coverage and then darting up before the snap. As CC pointed out, we almost had one taken away last year but Smitty out-wrestled the guy for it.

7. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Dhall, I think.

Yeah - they'll start disguising coverages to bait us.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    If we ran a flea flicker 5 times a game, it could be considered a staple play, but that doesn't make it less of a gimmick. Higher exaggeration, but same idea. If we were worried about the short pass in general, running the 5 yard slants and outs, then I'd be less likely to label it a gimmick. That, and it was labeled a gimmick in 02 when everyone copied Gary Crowton's success with it in 01.

9. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

I like the play too, for the reasons given. Just like every other pass Jake throws, it could be a disaster, or be overused. But it mostly works in the game plan(Although the play itself may not work every time.)

10. Malapoo

Malapoo Full Access Member

Yeah it was Hall who almost nabbed it and then couldn't adjust to grab Smitty. I remember the big fuss about don't make a play for the ball unless you know someone else is RIGHT there to get the guy if you miss the ball.