1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

WR screen

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

That stupid WR screen (the one I like to call "mag's right & mag's left") will be picked off and returned for a TD if we try and use it in the regular season.

we've gone to that well to many times.

that is all!

2. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I think the point of it is to both discourage the pad corners give, and also encourage press coverage. I think the QBs make a call at the LOS to use it if the coverage is loose.

Also, I think the team WANTS press coverage because they believe the receviers can beat them at the LOS and get big play opportunities.

So - I think it serves a purpose. They use the shit out of it, though, and it didn't work Saturday.

3. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

:agreed:
    I have never liked that bubble screen shit.

4. Malapoo

Malapoo Full Access Member

And the reality is, unless you have someone with Smith's abilities to cut sharp and fast to make the defender miss, you don't gain any yardage anyway. And yes, it always scares the ever lovin crap out of me much like Efrem's punt fielding.

5. CelticCat

CelticCat ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

That play looks alot different with Smitty on the receiving end of it.

We almost had one of those picked last year, but weve still managed to get away with it so far. I think we use it WAY too much tho.

6. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

I think you also have to execute the play correctly for it to actually work. The way the NFL teams diagram the play dosen't give a receiver a chance unless he is a Steve Smith type receiver. Tory Holt when he played at NC State perfected the "bubble screen". But the key to that was that the Wolfpack executed the play better by having Holt take a step back, run parallel to the line of scrimmage and then catch the ball in motion and turn up field.

7. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

The corner needs to be afraid of the wideout for it to work. Guys are afraid to get up too close on Steve Smith so they give him a lot of cushion and therefore the play works. If they are not afraid of the guy and play up on him then they can get there in time to make the tackle or possibly pick it off. I would not run it to anyone else though unless they just play way off for some reason. Smith is that rare receiver that can make the first man miss.

8. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

I think we're gonna set people up with the threat of it and do something else.

9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    it's a gimmick. You check at the line to get it going, and you get the ball there quick. You don't come to the line with it, drop 3 steps and look at the guy.

10. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

It works well for Smith with his punt returner abilities. He can usually make the corner miss if the ball is there quickly enough. Once he does then he is going to gain some nice yards.