1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

WOLFPACK WINS!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by AlphaWolf, Mar 20, 2005.

1. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

BTW, GREAT post on your board about midway through our game:

Same old, same old. We're soft and we always lose physical games. That game was a case study in our strengths/success versus our weaknesses/falures. At the beginning of that game, State played regular defense and got torched, and not just by Plav. Withers gave that frosh a facial on the baseline.

State started playing rough and mugging our guys. Refs, as they ALWAYS do in the NCAAs, let it go. We absolutely lack the capacity and some of the skill to play those rough halfcourt games. Mitch drove the lane once and got mauled. Didnt drive it again all game. Withers got mauled a couple times and started drifting outside to receive the ball. He simply does not possess the ballhandling skills to dribble through a clutching, grabbing defense. He turned it over several tims to create the final margin of victory for State.

We have got to start recruiting and learning how to play this style of halfcourt ball. The NCAA tournament is not a basketball game, it's a wrestling match. We recruit finesse players on par with the top 25 teams, but not enough bangers, scrappers, and hard-nosed defenders. Until we do, we're gonna flameout, every year.

And I'm not slamming NCSU for playing us rough. The refs let it go, so we have to adapt. They arent the only team that did that to us. It's the great equalizer. That's how ECU beat us, and frankly, how Cincy, UL, UAB & Memphis have beaten us in the past. Snatch, grab, push, and forearm shove. We have to learn how to cope or suffer repeats, every year.

We're soft.

2. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Full Access Member

Yea having my moment. Fuck you. Yea we been down.....missed the fucking tourney for TEN YEARS, count them TEN YEARS ......and guess what we are making our 6th trip to the sweet 16 since your "successful" program's last and ONLY apperance. You see last month you were throwing up that big game in Raleigh back in 2000. Shows how far we've both come since then, I guess. As for State being mediocre.....Yea they were when they were without Bethal, Bennerman, Watkins and B-rack hit the wall. But by gosh they played thru it when the could have folded like a Lutz team in March and now like it or not they are a damn good basketball team. Shows what holding together, working hard, and playing in the toughest damn league in the country will do. The players and Staff should be proud and I'm proud of them. Tony Haynes made a great point yesterday......These guys have been in the back ally's, the mean streets and bar room fights. Playing the teams they have this year(including Washinton and West Virgina in their cream puff non conference schedule) they fear NO ONE. On to Syracuse and the sweet 16!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  3. TurdFerguson

Heres the niner fan refered to. FYI

4. HardHarry

You should get a job writing hallmark cards and fantasy novels.

5. chris

chris Full Access Member

Let the UNCC thing go man. It's time to move on. Who cares about that team? We got bigger things on our plate right now. I pray to god we can win this game. It would be great to have a UNC-State Elite 8 Championship game. It would be great for both teams, and the ACC.

6. TurdFerguson

Agreed Chris. Shit Can't believe I said that. You know the prospect of playing UNC again for a birth at the final four doesn't even faze me. Honest to god just "glad to be here"

7. HardHarry

Now, that's not the same as not good enough to be in. He had a point. Your body of work was not impressive, and neither was Hodge's this season.

I have got to learn though, and the Illinois game should have taught me, that the regular season and the tournament are two completely different things. It's not just a "new season". It's a new game. It's more football than hoops. The dozen or so games I watched this weekend were all like that. Rough play all over the court.

I watched some ESPN classic recently and saw the Pack, I think during the glory season, playing UNC in the ACC tourney or some other big stakes game. It was enlightening. The game those players played and the game the players played this weekend might as well be two different sports. You didnt even dare touch another player back then. It was pretty boring by comparison. I think present day teams like the Niners would torch those teams simply because of how soft defenses were.

8. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Can't ya'll feel the love??

Nice way to throw in the ol' FU at the beginning. Speaks to your education. Anyway, where was all this you talk of about a month ago with all the fire Herb crap going around. Every fan I talked to, including a former State quarterback wanted Herb fired. Enjoy the rest of State's season. Next year you guys will want him fired again.

9. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Yep, that was me. State sucked most of the year but is peaking at the right time. I'm not the only one that thought so. fireherbsendek.com