1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

why we are 120 rpi

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by metro, Dec 9, 2003.

1. metro

metro Charlotte49erfootballfan

our opponents are 12-16 combined:rolleyes:

2. Chisox17

Chisox17 Resident Niners Fanatic

A&T is definitely gonna kill our rpi. however syracuse and george washington will help it out a lot. GW has a hell of a team this year, and im not just saying that because they beat us, they have been surprising some really good teams so far. also Souther Illinois should have a good year

3. 49erpi

49erpi Full Access Member

Here we go again. Why is it waaaay to early? Then again, don't answer. I don't want to go through this again on another board.

4. metro

I agree its early, but I favor what Pi is saying. We are over 1/2 finished with our OOC schedule. Luckily CUSA is sixth right now overall which is the highest its been maybe ever. If CUSA holds that 6th spot, we can help ourselves in conference play.

here is a killer site, the best IMO, for RPI. www.kenpom.com

5. YINZER

YINZER Snooper Bowl

Please share 49eRPI

6. LutzFan

LutzFan Full Access Member

don't get him started :)

7. ninermike

ninermike Junior Member

Worrying

RPINiner or whatever his name is...simply likes to argue. Our eventual RPI is something to worry about but he will argue with anything anyone says regarding the subject.

Our RPI ranking right now is starting to shape up...but as Jerry Palm himself says....it doesn't really mean much until the end of December when the entire field has played 10 or so games.

49ers definitely need to put away a few more quality teams this year to get into the NCAA.....

8. TheReal49er

TheReal49er Full Access Member

Best guess on "way too early call". The OOC schedule is important, but it will change immensely with league play. What happens on Jan. 5 with our RPI is totally different than what happens on March 5.

Having NC A&T on our schedule isn't terrible. They are, but Syracuse will carry a lot of weight as will Alabama (because of the SEC slate), But I think GW and Rhode Island will also help. SIU looks like the real deal again. I'm assuming Delaware State will hurt, too.

If we balance a good league finish with certain, strongs wins in league play, we'll be fine.

If we win 20 against this schedule, it won't matter who we play.

If we win 18, it will mater who we beat.

9. metro

what will be interesting is how much the new realignment hurts us in RPI. in the ol' days we got Cincy, Marq, UL, and the best RPI teams twice a year, now we have to play the bottom feaders Calipari bitched about the last 5 years, and not the stud teams twice, except Cincy-the mirror game.

10. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

Let me clear 49er-egotist's ridiculous proposition up real quick.

I interviewed Jerry Palm on air in Tennessee about this exact fucking subject years ago and he explained why, as Jeff Sagarin will tell you too, it doesnt fucking matter early on:

THE RATINGS ARE NOT MEANINGFUL UNTIL ENOUGH GAMES HAVE BEEN PLAYED TO CREATE THE LEVEL OF CONNECTIVITY NECESSARY TO VALIDATE THE FORMULA.

Until then, the RPI is relatively inaccurate. The numbers actually move quite a bit until about mid January. In Sagarin's case, he actually builds a bias into the formula based on the previous year's results (to supposedly adjust for that factor) that he doesn't remove until about that time.

Get a statistics or math major to explain it to you if you want the specifics.

But of course, 49erpi will argue with anyone, especially me, and remain blind to the obvious. Expect a lengthy retort that completely ignores the facts but spews buckets of his personal bile. :rolleyes: