1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Who gets the NC State job ?

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by Wise One, Mar 21, 2011.

1. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

I've heard a good bit of speculation on Smart's success being related to Grant's players....not that means everything.

I've heard everyone from that list being talked up as on the list with the exception of Grant.

2. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Grant I think is only in his 2nd season at Alabama? Almost got them to the NCAAs this year. Pretty good for a historically football only obsessed school. Grant is going to be good. He has SEC roots and is being paid well. Can't see him leaving for UT and his SEC ties would probably keep him from heading to Raleight. Doubt State would throw $3 million his way. Besides, State fans would probably want a bigger "name".

3. TheGame08

TheGame08 Full Access Member

Hadn't thought about Marshall, but he's a good option. Thirteen years of head coaching experience and he has had only one losing season, one .500 season, and eight 20 win seasons. He went to the NIT twice and the NCAAs seven times.

4. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

I think Greg Marshall at TN should scare the shit out of the SEC.

5. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

6. Bunky

Bunky .

nothing to do with coaching, but fuller is my son's geometry teacher. the dude is tall.

7. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

I heard an interview with Miller last weekend. I know it's coach speak, but he sure didn't sound like he will be leaving Arizona anytime soon.

8. Odin

Odin Full Access Member

He'd be foolish to. You can't just jump to new coaching gigs every couple of years, or you'll become a coaching whore punchline like Larry Brown.
    He would be smart, however, to use any interest to get a raise from AZ.

Again, I hope State doesn't waste time getting raises for a couple of big name guys, while better candidates (Smart/Marshall/Grant) get hired by other programs.

9. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

What are the positives and negatives of the State job?

Positives:

- The chance to return a formerly great program to glory
    - Ability to compete against 2 of the top programs in one of the best conferences
    - Passionate - some would say delusional - fan base who desperately wants a winner again
    - Willingness to relax standards to get players into the school

Negatives:

- The chance to return a formerly great program to glory
    - Ability to compete against 2 of the top programs in one of the best conferences
    - Passionate - some would say delusional - fan base who desperately wants a winner again
    - Every recruit they would be going after was not born yet when State was last relevant

Anyone else have any to add?

I would love to see State be good again because the ACC is better when they are. But I just wonder if that will ever truly happen because they have a habit of running off coaches - even if they win the national championship.

10. Wise One

Wise One No Doubt

You raise some good points and I would like to see the Wolfpack be a Top 25 program again too. They need someone very, very good because K and Roy are not going to have many if any bad years. Roy had a hiccup last year but that was an aberration. Miller would be great IMO