1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Where the hell is Leonard Laye?

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by metro, Sep 30, 2003.

1. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

Actually Larry, sds might be on to something... what is the coverage of other events and news on the campus besides sports? I see some wire story almost weekly from there in my newspaper.

2. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i dunno. i don't read the observer. you think they are missing out on campus news? those stories are boring and predictable -- i see them all the time here in a college town: students upset over tuition hikes, not enough dorm rooms for the students, students complain about lack of parking, school names new faculty head, blah, blah, blah...

3. LarryD

but i did see your point. however, sds used "pro teams" in reference to competing coverage. he was talking about the athletic aspect. it pisses me off greatly when people STILL call it uncc and not the charlotte 49ers.

HEY, SDS -- IT'S THE CHARLOTTE 49ERS. they changed that YEARS ago. get a freaking clue!

4. HighPoint49er

I didn't mean those type of stories Larry. I meant stories about research and what is going on at a large university in Charlotte and a major employer in Mecklenburg County. I get this info (some useless I admit) from mailings since I was on the Board of Governors a few years back but this is the kind of stuff that isn't everyday news.

Something certainly could be written about what is going on here other than the usual University media release that might be good reading in a technology section...

September 23, 2003
    UNC Charlotte receives first half of Department of Defense $5 million appropriation for optoelectronics center

CHARLOTTE— The University of North Carolina at Charlotte has received $2.5 million of a $5 million appropriation from the Department of Defense that will help accelerate the university’s ongoing research and support instrumentation at its Center for Optoelectronics and Optical Communications.

N.C. Congressman Robin Hayes was instrumental in securing the appropriation, which was announced last October.

Chancellor James H. Woodward explained that the funding will help the university obtain leading-edge equipment that is needed to conduct the highest quality research, particularly in the area of smart integrated optical devices and optical metrology. “That infrastructure is absolutely critical to ensure the growth and success of our program – and the generation of intellectual capital – that will help attract new companies to this region,” Woodward said.

Optoelectronics and optical communications is a significant emerging technology in the Carolinas that will spur technological and economic expansion in the Southeast. Photonics and optoelectronics are widely considered to be future core technologies in such areas as communication and computing. The fields involve the generation and harnessing of light and other forms of radiant energy. A key capability is the transmission of information via light waves.

The Center for Optoelectronics and Optical Communication is one of three centers in the Charlotte Research Institute at UNC Charlotte.

5. mediafreak

mediafreak Freak me

actually

speaking as a native chicagoan, depaul is an afterthought. there are 2 D-1 schools in chicago, and neither get the coverage you're asking for. usually a short 5-inch blurb heading into the weekend and an occasional feature.

Check it out. Last year's Tribune special section featured the guard from Marquette on the cover (granted, he was from the suburbs).

Both the Trib and Sun-Times focus more on the Big Ten than any other conference/school, despite the presence of DePaul and UI-Chicago and even Valpo and Notre Dame. The Sun Times tends to do less on college sports and more pro stuff and high schools.

can't speak for the post-dispatch, journal sentinel or the enquirer.

6. LarryD

yeah, those stories are thrown in the mix, too. fsu has a huge magnet lab here. one of the largest in the world. yawn.

but still -- getting research grants? boring to read.

7. HighPoint49er

Not the grant, the research... how will it improve life?

8. LarryD

nice to know, but boring to read.

9. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Cleveland papers cover Ohio State over the local universities (most notably Cleveland State). I think that Cincy papers have a lot of OSU coverage too. Pretty sure Greensboro does the same for ACC schools over the hometown teams. Indianapolis papers cover Indiana (don't know if there is a D1 team in Indy though). Chicago primarily covers Illinois. DC papers generally favor Maryland. NYC papers give quite a bit of coverage to Syracuse. Most VA papers cover UVA first. You want me to go on?

What y'all seem to like to ignore is that over the long term, the ACC has offered the highest quality college basketball. This has naturally generated interest in the programs - therefore they get covered more.

UNCC is not of this caliber - sorry the truth hurts - so that is why they don't get the coverage. Just like those smaller schools above that don't get the same level of coverage in their hometown papers.

10. HighPoint49er

Site of the institution matters vp. The schools in Greensboro are dwarfed by NCSU and UNC. I don't think Greensboro College and Guilford College are looking for it. But NC A&T gets a lot of front page coverage in the News & Record. UNC Greensboro arguably has received as much coverage in the N&R as the 49ers have in the Observer with 1/10 the overall program. High Point U gets as much front page coverage as do the Big 4 in the Enterprise, but they all come in behind racing and even preps sometimes.