1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Whatcha readin'?

Discussion in 'TV & Movie Discussion' started by mathmajors, Jul 6, 2003.

1. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

Digital Fortress is cool if you like hackers, computers, tech stuff. It's basicly the same formula though. Deception point involves a big deception (duh). It was his first book, so its kinda sloppy at times. After you get through all 4, aside from the settings, the plots all run together, cause they're all really similar.

I don't mind that much though. It's brainless escapist reading. I do read Clive Cussler & James Patterson, after all. Same thing.

2. CelticCat

CelticCat ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Anyone read/reading "Flag of our Fathers". Just picked it up, read a couple pages so far.

3. articulatekitten

articulatekitten Feline Member

Sounds fascinating, HB. I'll put that one on my list.

I really, really liked that book. I was intrigued by the premise--the narrator being autistic.

My grandson is autistic also, & since we got his diagnosis I've been amazed at the huge numbers of people affected & the wide variations in the symptoms among those with it. This fictional work gave me some good insights into how an autistic person might view his world. It's a really good book whether you're interested in autism or not, though.

For anyone else who's interested in autism, I recommend 2 excellent nonfiction books: Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin, & Songs of the Gorilla Nation (the author's name escapes me at the moment). Both these authors are autistic themselves.

The last couple of months, since I've moved, I've re-read Good Omens (still the funniest book I've ever read) & Dancing Naked on the Edge of Dawn (great chick-lit). Also read Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead for the first time--awesome work! Trying to pick a few easy reads for the next few weeks while I'm learning my new job--escapist stuff. Might just re-read something I've enjoyed before, I don't know.

4. A German

A German yearning to breathe free!

5. CelticCat

Ever seen "The football factory" or "Green Street Hooligans"?

6. A German

A German yearning to breathe free!

First no, second yes.

7. CelticCat

That book sounds alot like GSH, american journalist hangs out with a Firm.

The Football Factory kinda lacks the story of GSH but its more realistic (at least in the acting department). GSH was very Americanised. If you enjoyed GSH check out TFF. I saw TFF first and thought GSH was a total ripoff of TFF.

8. Freakshow

Freakshow Fuck you guys.

I liked all of them. Probably DF was better than DP. Both are good. Similar...lots of twists...takes place in a short amount of time...hectic pace...puzzles.

I agree on A and D. Better book.

9. 40Whiners

40Whiners Full Access Member

reading it right now....just picked it up on saturday. i saw it advertised in USA Today and it looked interesting. so far, so good

10. 40Whiners

40Whiners Full Access Member

also read that it is going to be made into a movie.