1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Whatcha readin'?

Discussion in 'TV & Movie Discussion' started by mathmajors, Jul 6, 2003.

1. jge1968

jge1968 Full Access Member

Just started reading A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin. It is book four his series titled: A Song of Ice and Fire. This guy is one of the best authors I have ever read, I have read a lot, and this series is very engrossing. If you like the fantasy genre you should check him out. There may have already been a post about him, I didn't read all of the previous posts, sorry if there has been.

2. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

yeah there have been a few posts around here. I got a copy for Christmas and read it. It is an awesome series. Can't wait for Book Five - hopefully we don't have to wait five years.

3. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

Franny and Zooey - JD Salinger

4. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

I finished The Great Divorce in less than a week. Interesting read. It's like a cross between The Five People You Meet in Heaven and What Dreams May Come. The theme of the book is an insight into the perceptions and thought processes of those who would choose hell over heaven. It's almost as fascinating and captivating as The Screwtape Letters.

I just started Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis by former president Jimmy Carter. Good read, so far. I don't agree with everything he says, but I do agree with most of it.

5. jge1968

On Martin's website when he announced that he submitted A Feast for Crows he said that he was about halfway finished with the next installment which if I recall correctly will be titled A Dance with Dragons. So maybe it will only be 2.5 years before it comes out. I got my copy for xmas as well but I was trying to hold off as long as possible to read it because it will be so long before the next one comes out.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  6. singlesrvngfrend

singlesrvngfrend dork extraordinaire

just finished reading mark haddon's "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time" very interesting, unique type of writing.

whoever was reading dean koontz's "hideaway" but stopped... you really should finish it. yes it's pretty rough going in the beginning, especially when you first read about the hideaway, but you'll be stunned by the ending. koontz's most spiritual work.

somebody else was reading "a tale of two cities" but couldn't get into it. for dickens, i recommend reading "great expectations." it is much easier to get in to, and i think is the book that most qualifies dickens as a classic and great writer.

since i finished haddon's book, i don't quite know what to read next, although i'm thinking about some fitzgerald, either "last tycoon" or "tender is the night."

7. jge1968

Just finished A Feast For Crows, outstanding. Can't wait for the next one. Just started Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan, which is another good series. I also read today that he has a rare blood disease that is pretty serious and is often terminal. Here is a link if anyone is interested:
    http://www.westeros.org/ASoWS/News/Entry/1487/

8. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

I just finished (it takes a while only reading an average of 2 chapters a week). I learned a lot about our country reading this book, most of which I really hoped wasn't true.

I'm a registered republican, and I would challenge any republican who still backs President Bush to pick up a copy of this book and read it. I think anyone who does so with anything close to an open mind is going to have a seriously hard time flying Dubya's flag anymore.

But it's not just about the Bush administration and foreign policy. It's about what's happened and what is happening now in our culture. America is a very different place than most of us want to see or believe. In particular, former President Carter -- an evangelical Baptist -- calls out the Southern Baptist Convention in unapologetic terms. He also shines a spotlight on the new religious right, and what an enoromous influence that movement is starting to have on American politics.

In short, this book is full of things I didn't want to know, but I'm glad I now do. I still don't agree with all of what he had to say, but I agreed with most of it, and I have a great amount of new found respect for President Carter.

9. jge1968

Wow, thanks for the review. I am going to make that the next book on my list to read. We he ran in 1976, he was the first President that I "voted" for in the Weekly Reader. I voted for Gerald Ford and when I told my parents they gave me a lecture on the "evils" of the Republican party which went right over my head. Funny, I haven't thought about that in almost 30 years.

10. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

Just started a series by Greg Keyes. The book is called the Briar King and the series is called The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone. Comparissons to George RR Martin are inevitable but suffice it to say, if you enjoy his books you will likely enjoy these as well.