1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Whatcha readin'?

Discussion in 'TV & Movie Discussion' started by mathmajors, Jul 6, 2003.

1. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

Patterson/Cross & Clive Cussler are now my default reading. Light & formulaic, but fun.

2. Cattrax

Cattrax Senior Member

Finished Cat and Mouse, Pop Goes the Weasel and Roses are Red, Now starting on Violets are Blue.

All by James Patterson

3. Cattrax

Cattrax Senior Member

Pretty quick reads. I enjoy them.

4. articulatekitten

articulatekitten Feline Member

Just finished Kurt Vonnegut's A Man Without A Country. Essays/opinion pieces. Biting, as usual :)

First quote: There is no reason good can't triumph over evil, if only angels will get organized along the lines of the Mafia.

5. articulatekitten

articulatekitten Feline Member

Just finished a new book that I stumbled across--

Man Camp, by Adrienne Brodeur. Chick lit, I guess--really funny & enjoyable. Premise is 30-something single ladies in NY are bummed at how dismal their dates are. One of the gals is a scientist who studies how males of other animal species compete to win the females & keep their genes in the pool :) Too many guys have lost touch with their alpha-male primal selves, so she sets up a business to help these guys get back in touch, & therefore succeed more with women.

Capitalizes on all the modern-day sexual confusion in our culture. What the fuck do women want anyway? Be sensitive but still pursue & win us?

Well, yeah! I want to be respected for my mind; but I also want to be swept off my feet & ravished. Sorry, can't help myself!

Not deep, but a fun read.

6. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

I've started reading

"The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe"

so far it's kick ass! :bananalam

7. WilliamJ

WilliamJ SUPERMOD

the communist manefesto and freakonomics.

8. BigVito

BigVito Splitting Headache

The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us ~ Gregg McCrary

How We Know What Isn't So: The Fallibility of Human Reason in Everyday Life ~ Thomas Gilovich

9. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

how do you pronouce "Aslan"?

10. ECILAM

ECILAM Celebrate Diversity

Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult... a collection of essays and articles by leading voices in the occult world. A small sampling of these includes Phil Hine on magical initiation, Donald Tyson on the Enochian Apocalypse, and Boyd Rice on the connections between the biblical Leviathan and the mythic Dagon.

An entire section is devoted to the infamous Aliester Crowley, his life's work, and those who took his ideas and ran with them. Fiction writer Grant Morrison (The Invisibles) delivers his philosophy on modern magical practice as a lifestyle. Erik Davis discusses the fiction of H.P. Lovecraft and its significance to the practicing occultist. Tau Allen Greenfield debunks the popular history of "Wicca," and P.R. Koening exposes the fraudulent "Caliphate" Ordo Templi Orientis.

This book reprints an interview with late Church of Satan founder Anton LaVey by author/musician Michael Moynihan (Lords of Chaos, Blood Axis) and Dr. Stephen Flowers's essay "The Secret of the Gothick God of Darkness." Only Robert Mason's article on the "Ahriman Consciousness" seems strangely out of place; it reads more like a vaugely Christianized version of David Icke's conspiracy theories than the work of a grounded magician.

A total of 40 written pieces take up roughly 350 pages here. This is not commericalized, superficial reading. No love spells, vampire poetry or tips for naming your "familiar" (cat). This is a challenging and colorful collection on diverse and fascinating subjects, and comes highly recommended.