1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Whatcha readin'?

Discussion in 'TV & Movie Discussion' started by mathmajors, Jul 6, 2003.

1. philcantspel

philcantspel Full Access Member

ooo good one. I read the entire thing in two sittings. Make sure you read it all.

2. Willy

Willy Full Access Member

I thought it was over-rated. I had always heard a lot about it, so I read it last summer... For me, it didn't live up to the hype.

3. Toll Booth Willie

Toll Booth Willie Welcome to Wusta!

Awesome book! I've read that and Ender's Shadow. Probably going on to Speaker for the Dead next. Very good series!

4. ECILAM

ECILAM Celebrate Diversity

Lords of the Left-Hand Path; A History of Spiritual Dissent by Stephen E. Flowers, Ph.D.

This is a comprehensive rundown on all the major Left-Hand Path movements in recorded history and the personalities that shaped them. Here is a literal textbook showcasing not only the histories, but the actual beliefs and teachings of ancient cults, forbidden religious sects, medieval heretics, Faustian libertines and modern occultists.

Dr. Flowers clearly defines the difference between the benign white-light mysticism of the Right-Hand Path and the more volitile realm of the Left-Hand Path, and devotes his emphasis to the latter. Philosophers of the dark side, Satanists, even the Nazis themselves are examined with unheard-of objectivity and detail.

With extensive bibliographical notes and numerous useful diagrams and illustrations, this book strips away the cloak of confusion and mystery surrounding these highly controversial subjects with tremendous clarity and insight.

Perhaps the most "disturbing" aspect of this book is not its subject matter, but the disparity between the lurid myths attributed to its subjects and the reality discovered under the light of diligent scholarship.

This book is useful anyone and everyone with the slightest interest - or morbid curiousity - on these subjects. It's essential to horror writers like me who want to protray the occult with as authentic a foundation of knowledge as possible. Occultists will find much of interest they're not likely to find in the "New Age" section of modern bookstores. And apologists of traditional religion concerned about the influence of these mysterious ideas will find no better, more accurate compendium of undiluted Left-Hand Path background information.

Highest possible recommendation.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  5. articulatekitten

articulatekitten Feline Member

That's for sure!

I wasn't too interested in the Harry Potter books at first, but too many adults told me they were awesome for me not to explore them. And they are wonderful! I'll get to #6 eventually.

Card's "Ender" series is great. I just finished "Speaker for the Dead," & enjoyed it thoroughly.

Martin's "Song of Ice & Fire" series is my favorite fantasy series to date. Incredibly well-formed characters, great adventure & intricate plotting. If I remember correctly, #4 comes out around August 23. I have one reserved already :)

I've heard terrific things about "The Life of Pi," and the premise is intriguing. Hope to get to it before too long.

"Lords of the Left-Hand Path" sounds fascinating. I've focused on the Right, & must say I had tons of misconceptions about other paths before I started reading your posts, ECILAM.

I recently read "Freakonomics." I always despised anything to do with economics--it seemed dry, boring, too intricate to hold my interest. But this was fascinating. It showed the side that I wanted to know about--societal influences in all sorts of surprising ways. And the writing is not at all the droning crap I feared it might be--very well done.

The last one I finished was an erotica collection edited by N.T. Morley: "Master/Slave." It's done in the form of two books that you flip over. 30 stories from each point of view. All hetero with male masters & female slaves. Some of the hottest stuff I've EVER read!

I'm focused on erotica right now because that's what I'm writing (interspersed with some poetry). Currently reading "The Pearl," the collected editions of an underground Victorian England magazine that featured the bawdiest of stories, serialized novels, limericks & poems & songs. It's a hoot, & pretty hot in a lot of ways, too. :D

6. Nytdreamer

Nytdreamer Ex-pizza Slut

I've been waiting for "Feast For Crows" to be released since like september last year :( They keep pushing back the release date and it's driving me NUTS!

7. articulatekitten

articulatekitten Feline Member

Yeah, me too! Since I work in a bookstore I keep looking up the release date now & then. It's been maddening!

But I expect that once we finally get it, it will be worth the wait :)

8. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

Just finished Tom Clancy's "Without Remorse", for the umpteenth time. Man, I love that book. :mushy:

I'm about halfway through "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", which I'm re-reading in preparation for "Halfblood Prince", which HG44 is reading now.

9. Nytdreamer

Nytdreamer Ex-pizza Slut

Argh! The end to "Chainfire" was unsatisfying :( now I have to wait for the next book in the Sword of Truth series... *bangs head on desk*

10. Lainey

Lainey Barbie Girl

"Painted Shadow" the story of T.S. Elliott's first wife. Man, what an amazing story.