1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Whatcha readin'?

Discussion in 'TV & Movie Discussion' started by mathmajors, Jul 6, 2003.

1. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Just read that over the weekend for the first time, too. Liked it enough to re-read DaVinci.

2. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

British Abbey rejects Da Vinci Code film plans

Looks like they'll just have to build a set or use another church.

Can't film here..

LONDON (Reuters) - Producers of the upcoming movie based on the blockbuster novel "The Da Vinci Code" were not allowed to film in Britain's Westminster Abbey after church officials denounced the book as "theologically unsound."
    ADVERTISEMENT
    click here

The 940-year-old London Abbey, where British monarchs are crowned, features in the international murder mystery by U.S. author Dan Brown which has been condemned by the
    Vatican and Anglican Church leaders for distorting the Christian message.

The novel alleges Jesus married Mary Magdalene and had children, whereas Christians are taught that Christ never married and was childless when he was crucified.

"Although a real page turner, 'The Da Vinci code' is theologically unsound and we cannot commend or endorse the contentious and wayward religious and historic suggestions made in the book -- nor its views of Christianity and the New Testament," the Abbey said in a statement.

"It would therefore be inappropriate to film scenes from the book here."

Last week officials at Lincoln Cathedral in eastern England said they had agreed to allow their building to be used by the makers of the forthcoming film, which stars
    Tom Hanks as the book's central character Professor Robert Langdon.

The statement from Westminster Abbey, which appears in scenes toward the end of Brown's novel, also insisted some of the book's details were factually inaccurate.

It said it would be providing the Abbey's marshals with information to clear up the mistakes for visiting tourists drawn to the church by its appearance in The Da Vinci Code.

"We are already receiving regular, daily inquiries related to the book and we expect these to continue and even grow in the next couple of years, even with no effort on our own part, simply because the book is so popular," its statement said.

3. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

For those who missed my other thread, George R.R. Martin's A Feast for Crows is "complete".

He says that he is not 100% percent done with the story he wanted to write but that the whole story would have been much more than 1400 pages and thus, impossible to publish. So he basically cut the book in half which will push the entire series to 7 books with 4 and 5 coming in rapid succession because he is still "almost done" with the whole story.

Feast will still be over 1000 pages.

4. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

:woohoo:

where did you read that sly?

I know there are a few fan sites on line but I quit reading them after I realized they were bigger geeks than Star Wars geeks could ever be.

In hopes that he would get Feast out some time this summer I started re- reading the series. I already read Game of Thrones and am about half way through Clash of Kings. I figure by the time I finish Storm of Swords and Feast For Crows I will have read over 4000 pages this summer.

5. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

Storm of Swords is brutal. This is the book where Martin ventures far into the Robert Jordan land of "nothing happens for 1,000 pages". I'm terrifically worried about this new installment being the same way.

The first two books were great though. Tyrion is one of the best characters I've ever read. Utterly believable and real. I think he'd actually translate to film incredibly well (with the right actor). You don't have to be a fantasy nerd to get him.

6. slydevl

His site www.georgerrmartin.com

7. slydevl

He'll end up king when all is said and done IMHO.

8. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Just finished the latest Lucas Davenport novel by John Sandford, 'Broken Prey'.

9. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

You think? I could see Martin offing him right as he's prepared to take the throne, just to keep his credibility.

I like how this series is a lot less about dragons & magic & such, and more about (human) characters - politics, war, lust, greed, etc. It's a gripping drama with a fantasy backdrop.

10. slydevl

He's the perfect anti-hero and Martin is taking care to keep him both hated but respected so that when it comes people will be shocked but not disappointed. Just a hunch.