1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Whatcha readin'?

Discussion in 'TV & Movie Discussion' started by mathmajors, Jul 6, 2003.

1. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Update on "Da Vinci" Movie

Maybe the French can do something right.....

"Da Vinci" To Film in Louvre

By Josh Grossberg

The Code will be unlocked—in the Louvre.

French officials are close to giving Oscar-winning filmmaker Ron Howard the final go-ahead to shoot scenes of his big-screen adaptation of author Dan Brown's best-selling thriller The Da Vinci Code in the famed museum, according to published reports.

"There is really a very strong desire to see the movie for this book, which has world renown, shot in the Louvre," the Louvre's director, Henri Loyrette was quoted as telling France-Inter radio. "It is a yes in principle from our side."

As just about everyone knows by now, The Da Vinci Code follows globe-trotting Harvard art historian, Professor Robert Langdon, on his quest to decipher clues found in Leonardo Da Vinci's famous paintings that unravel a centuries-old conspiracy that threatens to bring down Christianity.

Tom Hanks signed on to play Langdon in November and Howard's production team has since been busy gearing up for the shoot.

According to the daily newspaper Le Parisien, producers have been scouting exterior locations around Paris as well as interiors in the Louvre's Grand Gallery where the novel opens.

Plans are also in place to roll camera in the room that holds the Mona Lisa, Da Vinci's most heralded work, which plays a critical role in Brown's mystery.

As the Louvre houses France's most prized art collections and is one of the country's most visible symbols of its rich cultural heritage, permission to film there isn't granted to just anyone.

"The Louvre is not a movie set. It is a place that receives an average of 20,000 visitors a day," added Loyrette. "That means the times really available for shooting are Tuesday closing day and nights."

Officials rarely let a bunch of grips, lighting guys and other film crew types get anywhere near its monuments and masterpieces for fear of endangering them. However, exceptions have been made in the past.

The last film allowed to shoot inside the Louvre's hallowed halls was the 1999 French ghost story, Belphegor (aka The Phantom of the Louvre), about a spirit that's taken up residence in the museum and has a penchant for swiping old Egyptian artifacts.

In the case of The Da Vinci Code, the novel has become something of a phenomenon with the book-buying public thanks to Brown's intriguing mix of math, religion, Christian mythology and secret societies that has woven a story of a conspiracy that purports to hide the truth that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were actually married and gave birth to a child.

Aside from spawning a cottage industry of tomes attempting to debunk its controversial theory, Brown's book has spurred fans to visit the Louvre to try and crack the secret codes Brown claims are hidden there. As a result, numerous independent tour operators have begun offering guided tours specifically catering to Da Vinci tourists.

With the huge boost in attendance the Louvre is expected to receive from wannabe code-crackers well beyond the movie's targeted U.S. release date of May 19, 2006, allowing Howard access makes good business sense for museum officials—that is, if all the details can be worked out.

First however, they must approve the scenes to be shot from Akiva Goldman's script and based on proposed storyboards that the Apollo 13 helmer has submitted to them.

"All the discussions must be taken up with the production because it is bound to be a busy shoot, with financial implications," Loyrette told France-Inter radio.

In related Da Vinci news, French Website, Film Deculte, reported that one of the country's biggest stars, Sophie Marceau, has been cast in the part of Langdon's partner, Sophie Neveu, the gifted cryptologist who helps crack the code.

Marceau, of course is best known Stateside for her role as the Queen in Braveheart and playing a Bond babe in The World Is Not Enough. Additionally, Jean Reno is being eyed to play hard-headed cop, Bezu Fache.

Howard and producing partner, Brian Grazer's company, Imagine Entertainment, which is supervising production, declined to comment on any aspect of the film given the controversy surrounding the project.

2. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

I'm about halfway through the last 'Dark Tower' book. Eddie just got popped.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Anna Karenina

4. dollface

dollface Goddess Of Drama

Right now: Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi.

5. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Davinci Movie Casting Update...

Brits Ian McKellen and Alfred Molina are joining Tom Hanks in Ron Howard's big-screen adaptation of "The Da Vinci Code," according to Variety. Molina, last seen as Dr. Octopus in "Spider-Man 2," will play zealous Bishop Arigarosa, who's keeping a close eye on the investigations of Robert Langdon (Hanks, as you all know). McKellen will play Sir Teabing, a wealthy man who is a resource for Langdon, even as he shows his own ambitions to uncover the Holy Grail. Production will begin in June for a May 19, 2006 release (pushed back from a previous release date of March 2006).

Ian McKellin
    [​IMG]

Alfred Molina:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  6. Willy

Willy Full Access Member

I hope The DaVinci Code movie is as good as the book. Tom Hanks should do a good job.

I also really liked Deception Point (also by Dan Brown). It would make a great action movie.

7. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

Started Angels and Demons yesterday. Starting off good.

Will go from there to The Case for Christ.

Might pickup The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy as I have never read that.

George RR Martin is an asshat.

8. Willy

Willy Full Access Member

I read the first two books in the series last year. It was not what I was expecting at all, but I did enjoy them. I plan on reading the other three before seeing the movie. Has anyone seen the movie btw? I heard it was terrible.

9. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

I prefer it to DaVinci. Better overall story.

Quoted for truth. Is that new book of his gonna make it press before 2050?

Why do I even care? I didnt bother finishing the last one.

10. Patti

Patti ~

Samuel L Clemens autobiography.