1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What people are saying about our draft

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by PantherPaul, Apr 26, 2003.

1. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Gil Brandt:
    Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
    1 8 Jordan Gross OT Utah
    Pat Kirwan's Analysis
    Best left tackle in the draft. You see his former tight end athleticism in his pass blocking, and it was the worst-kept secret in the NFL that the Panthers wanted him.

50 Bruce Nelson C Iowa
    Pat Kirwan's Analysis
    I had a chance to watch him play in the Orange Bowl. He is a solid center who could start in this league sooner than later. Coach Ferentz does an excellent job with his offensive line and makes them ready for the NFL. The USC defensive tackles came off the field every series and told me how good Nelson was during the Orange Bowl.

76 Mike Seidman TE UCLA
    Gil Brandt's Analysis
    Seidman is an excellent athlete that played as a true freshman and really is one of the size/speed guys. He weighed 250 pounds and ran a very good time as well as succeeded in all the jumps. He's a good target because of his size, and I think he will really grow into the position.

82 Ricky Manning CB UCLA
    Gil Brandt's Analysis
    His only negative is that he is not tall. He's another guy who spent time in the minor baseball leagues. A good cover corner.

2. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

thanks pp. i needed something to make me feel better.

3. rake

rake Need one of these

Yup. If Brandt doesn't know players no one does. I a little better too. Especially about Nelson. He and Gross might be the future left side of a solid O-line.)

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    they're good players. Are they good value? Are they effectively getting all our needs? I'd say no, and then yes. The Manning trade saved the idea of need.

5. HM3

HM3 Junior Member

considering the stellar draft records of our by-gone coaches, i think, and of course hope, that this bunch knows whats up. i think the picks were right on. and as already stated, none of us know who will or will not produce. you know, 31st offense and a line that's, well, not very good.

i'll keep the faith/trust until they show me it's misplaced.

6. rams12bb

rams12bb Full Access Member

I think a lot of people have forgotten how bad our past drafts have been. Fox and Hurney did very well during last years draft. They don't pick the flashy names this year and everyone is starting to say how bad the draft is and jumping on them. We have drafted the flashy players before. Anyone remember Biakabatuka? How about Collins, or even the DE that kept having neck surgery and had to retire. The previous coaches didn't do their homework very well and look where it got us, 1-15. I think this staff is drafting safe players that fill needs on the team. OL, TE, Secondary Depth, have all been addressed. While they may not be the players a lot of people may want, they are picks that fill holes and will improve the team. Some other teams passed several of the players that we did also. Maybe there's a reason for that???

7. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Timmy B was a good pick that couldn't get healthy... but when he played, he played VERY good...

Kerry Collins... has been to one more SuperBowl than the Panthers have.

8. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

>> Some other teams passed several of the players that we did also. Maybe there's a reason for that???

yeah, but they also didn't pick the players we picked. maybe there's a reason for that too??? only kidding. ;)