1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What I learned tonight

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Aug 9, 2003.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I only saw him once, which was a good hit. Yeah, it's not easy to evaluate safeties on tape, especially with the camera work that we have to deal with in preseason. Unfortunately, endzone shots aren't useful to most people, but I lvoe them when Jaworski breaks them down.

The more concerning thing to me is that he's a better cover player (in theory) than Cooper or Richardson, should be a good run supporter, but he's third string. And as a third stringer you want to see him look like a man amongst boys, with his talent level.

Colin: Rod and Dee and edge runners too but can take it up the middle when not in goalline situations.

I disagree, at least on Dee. I know I prop him and defend him, but he did have some very good redzone runs for TDs last year, in limited time. So I think he could handle that. Rod could, but it's not his best suit naturally. But he's better than Bates. let's hope that it never comes down to Bates at the goal line.

One last note: Brain and a couple others have inferred that I might've said that Gross struggled overall. I don't find that to be true, but he wasn't sharp and he did get punked on that stunt.

I also found him to be, occasionally, dropping back really far before he contacts his man. It's curious, but I'm doing game notes this week and I'll try to ID it better so you tape warriors can look at it.
    One play, though, he does drop back almost as fast as peete. Strange.

2. Shocker

Shocker Full Access Member

Donnelly was schooled a couple of times. I would think that his position is up for grabs a bit. Gross looked good considering it was his first game in the NFL and he came from a small school.

Mangum continues to look average at best. Seidman looks like a keeper.

3. ColinG

ColinG Just Football Please

I don't like the amount of times Dee has put the ball on the ground at the 1 or 2 yardline but...even Davis did that last year as well...but I see your point.

If it is the play I'm thinking about, wasn't that pulling block by the center who didn't get there in time? Whoever it was that pulled, he tripped over Gross's feet getting to his man. Or are you thinking of another play?

4. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

How about some props for Emmanual McDaniel? Dood play one hell of a game deflecting passes and taking his man out of the game....

5. ColinG

Yeah he did. How many CB's do we normally carry?

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I think that's the one where Brzezinski was called on to pull right in pass protection? Ugly play. Not sure if that's the one, but I don't know that that protection will ever really work.

I'm thinking of the one where Peete ducked a rusher and flubbed a ball to the flat in the general direction of Wiggins. Gross was taking a bullrush and got knocked back into the backfield - he recovered and started taking him laterally to the left but the DT was stunting around him, Donnalley got picked by the end and the pressure came through.

7. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Actually I don't remember me saying it... but reguardless I actually agree with you.... when Gross was on run plays he pushed forward and pushed his man back... on pass plays he'd step back and catch his man after a first step... personally I think he started this as a reaction to playing Peppers in camp... it needs fixed because a Power Rusher could cause damage in that situation... plus though its only brief it is a way the defense could key in on our play calling

8. negoshe8er

negoshe8er 12 In A Row

I learned this thread is too freakin long to read all the way through.

On the game:

Awesome! 20-0 , Shut the f**k up Redskins fans!

On the season:

Too early to tell. Let the 1st team play atleast an entire half before assessing the possibilities.

9. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

I think that's the one he's talking about. Bates got in Brezensky's way. They did give up pressure on that alot last year. I guess it's play action, looking like the G is pulling to run.

10. ColinG

THAT'S THE ONE. I remember a running back being involved and, honestly, standing around like he was lost. So the pull was from the LG all the way to the right side??? What the hell for on a passing play? Hell, or a run even?

I can't blame Brezensky for that one.