1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What I learned tonight

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Aug 9, 2003.

1. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

QB
    Weinke - shocking. I was a doubting thomas about the camp reports but he looked good, confident, having fun out there. Looking off defenders, looking and throwing to the left. Good decisions. Liked his scramble. Like to see more of him going to his left to be convinced ... but there's suddenly hope again.

Peete - disappointing. Worrisome that he may be our starter. Thinking he made a couple of ill looking desperation passes, which are unacceptable from a vet, especially one with little arm.

Delhomme - Looking good. Gives you that bootleg option, which could come in handy in the redzone. Good presence. Looked the field over really well and found the open receiver. I like him. Hope he starts next week.

RB
    Davis - love what I saw. But can he carry the offense alone?
    Hicks - Did not impress. Doesn't bust it up inside quick and hard enough.
    Brown - continues to look good but nothing exciting.
    Smart - is a strange bird.

We need Foster to have any high hopes.

FB
    Didn't take notice.

WR
    No surprises. Pretty much disgraceful.

Moose was Moose.
    Proehl - Looked good and he improves us.
    Young - Disappreared. Very disappointing.
    Baker - was the lone wr to impress the shit outa me. But he's so small.
    Hankton caught the ball.

TE
    Liked the looks of Seidman - good hands and balance. Looks like he will be a solid and can start right away ... but didn't pay attention to his blocking. Wiggins -- fumble didn't help but he's got some ability and good hands.

OL
    Pass protection from first string was great.

Gross - damn strong. Greatly improves pass protection and running game. Don't know that I agree with Mags but don't have a tape to check. I thought Gross pretty much handled his guy on that play. Impressed the shit outa me on one of the sweeps. Very quick, good decisions and puts a good pop on a guy. Passing game will look better as QB will have more time.
    Brezinsky - sucks. You can go ahead and cut his ass.
    Nelson - Takes over at backup center. Looked solid. Would like to see him some at guard.

DL
    What to say? They are probably the best in the league with excellent depth.

LB
    Starters looked very good. W'spoon looked very strong and like he may be the biggest surprise this year. Could he pull a Jenkins on us?
    Allen - Surprised me and looked good out there.
    Depth looks good.

CB
    Still the weak link. Lots of 'skins were wide ass open. Manning is an impressive little shit. Got good quicks and ups. Good bunch of youngsters for depth and competition. Hampton and Franklin both looked good to me (against 3rd stringers). Be nice if we had that stud shut-down corner.

S
    Minter still concerns me with his pass coverage skills. J. Cooper looks smarter than he has in the past. He probably needs to be on the field more.
    Branch - looked pretty good. What are you hearing Ide? Not another R. Anderson I hope.

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    HC brings up something I really didn't say much of anything about so far. I saw it the first time but it looks a lot better on tape -
    Proehl's the real deal. He possibly could challenge Smith for time as a starter, because he does everything consistently and doesn't seem to be slow. Smith's explosive, but I've always felt that kind of explosion combined with that inconsistency was better left on the bench and used liberally - but situationally.

Not that I really think we'd start Proehl, but any problems Young is having is negated by the open hope that Proehl gives me as a 3rd WR.

3. Reznor

Reznor Sunspots

the same Minter that lead the team in picks last year is the Minter that concerns you in pass coverage? I also don't agree that our WRs are "disgraceful." That's pretty harsh considering it's most likely the best and deepest unit we've ever fielded.

4. HPCatFan

HPCatFan Senior Member

Things I saw from the game
    No tape to examine, etc, just a fans thoughts.

Davis - Hell yeah. Nice to see a Panther RB hit the middle of the line and actually see him come out the other side. He'll make Dan Hennings look good (is that good or bad?).

Moose - possessed. Caught just about everything thrown his way, and almost made that fingertip catch. Is this a contract year for him? (just kidding, sort of). He looked really good though.

QBs - between the top 3, I can't say any one outplayed the other. Peete looked like he did last year (solid), and Delhomme had one nice pass to Proehl. Weinke's passes looked sharp. Then again, Del and Winky were playing against 2nd stringers. Fasani......well.....

Gross - couldn't see him all the time, but the times I did see him he looked like he was holding his own. First start as a rookie, not bad at all, tells me the guy has a great future.

Defense in general, line play especially - continuing where they left off last season. Dominating. Coops hit was incredible.

Bad thoughts:
    First quarter we walk away from the red zone with two FGs. I suppose in a real game we'd have the play book open, but still....that's alot like last season too.
    Fumbles....way too many. They'll be working out with that arm-slapping machine this morning for sure.

5. Trashman1962

Trashman1962 Full Access Member

I could not agree more with this. Davis needs to produce enough that teams are concerned they have to stop him first and foremost. Then the offense needs to mix it up some and take what the defense gives. I am praying Delhomme wins the qb job because I still feel like Peete misses big play opportunitites because he locks in to tightly on his 1st option. I saw it a lot last year, and I saw it some more Saturday night.

6. Sleehrat Nation

Sleehrat Nation Full Access Member

I too was pleased about a lot of things I saw Saturday night. The only thing I questioned was using Michael Bates at goal line situations. Not sure why he was the RB when we were trying to punch it in. Is Bates really higher in depth chart than Skip Hicks? I would have rather seen Hicks trying to punch it in (like he did in the 4th) than Bates. I love Bates and all, but only a a ST guy. The only reasoning I could come up with is that Fox wanted to see if Bates could be a back. As you get down to cut time, its the guys who can contribute on special teams, as well as fill a backup position, that will make the team.

7. VOR

VOR OnlyU CanPreventRelection

Actually Peete's greatest value to the team would be as the 3rd stringer. We already know that when there is no current film on the guy and the opposing defense has not prepped for him the guy wins. Fox should end the chrade and let winky and delhomme knock each others block off and let peete coast through this. Earning what he is making and sitting on the bench would have to look good to him.

8. ColinG

ColinG Just Football Please

Bates is fighting for a roster spot with Rod Smart and Skip Hicks. I believe they put Skip lower so they could get good long looks at Dee Brown, Michael Bates, and Rod Smart.

If you take into account fumbles, I'd say it is a push between the three. Bates runs the edges but they called him up the middle in goaline to see what he'd do. Rod and Dee are edge runners too but can take it up the middle when not in goalline situations. I say it's a push because Rod and Dee both had fumbles and Bates didn't get any yards.

However, as much as I hate to admit it, I see Bates gone.

RB: Davis, Foster, Hicks, w/ Dee and Rod ST mainly. Davis and Hicks are similar while Foster, Dee, and Rod are similar. Goings is a bit of a crossover between the two but he and Bates will be gone.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2003
  9. ColinG

ColinG Just Football Please

I agree but I also see this year's contract as a bit of a payback for Peete's last year performance. I mean come on, when you sign on to be the backup mentor and you put your body through hell and operations for the team, you deserve a bit of a payday. And if it isn't killing the team financially (read as cap) to do it, why not?

10. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

I haven't heard anything, which concerns me more than anything, I guess. I only saw him on one play. My comments were pure speculation based on very little, so I'll be watching him with everyone. I hope he does real well.

I have not heard anything negative at all.