1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What I learned tonight

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

That's me behind his left shoulder. I was wearing a white T-shirt and holding a #1 up! Woot!

2. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I watched the replay and Delhomme is a better QB (at least in that game) than Peete is... what's sad is the play that most impressed me was when he tripped over his RB and started to fall but had the presence of mind to stand and throw the ball away without getting sacked or penalized for intentional grounding

3. VOR

VOR OnlyU CanPreventRelection

he shoulda been called on that one there was no one near the ball when it came down. the refs were in preseason form.

4. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

I was surprised at how fast the game went. About a good 3 hours and 20 mins total. I guess the referees are still in preseason form...:rolleyes:

5. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

Another thing for red zone offense,

we could have used Walls last night. He was our best option for the red zone and now he's gone.

6. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

I agree with you there. He isnt a starting TE. But he's not a disaster either. I just hate replacing a functional player until you know you have something better. I'm skeptical of Wiggins because of his history. That doesnt mean we shouldnt go with Wiggins, but he needs to show some strong stuff, IMHO.

I'm also afraid of going with just youngsters, because sometimes they are jsut overwhelmed at first.

So that's it. If Wiggins shows he can be the veteren, go ahead and cut Mangum. But if not, he's a reasonable backup who can play at a level that is better than nothing until Seidman, and maybe one of the others, is ready.

BTW, your explanantion of his failings was very good. And you're right. He has more against him than dropping some passes.

7. Trashman1962

Trashman1962 Full Access Member

The problem with our red zone offense in the past was the Wesley WAS our option, we had no other. With a power back like Davis, we will have multiple options. You can key on a TE when he's your only option, and Wall's abilities were obvious in that most still could not stop him. With a back like Davis, when you key on him other options will open up. The make-up of this team and the offensive approach will make it, imho a very potent red zone offense.

8. rake

rake Need one of these

I think you're on the money with the "multiple options" point.
    I would like to see us alternate pounding Davis and using lots of play action in the redzone. Moose and Proehl should be able to find holes and rooks Seidman and Young will hopefully learn some tricks from them. Throw in some playmakin’ from Steve Smith in the slot and Hoover at H back and we should definitely have enough diversity to score inside the twenty as long as Henning has the balls to start throwing some balls down there. This is where I think Delhomme will win the job. He’s smart enough to find the right option and has enough velocity to put the ball where it needs to be . . . I think:worried:
    Okay, I probably don't know shit but I do know that we should start exploring some options instead of running every down once we are inside the 20. Just because we have Davis doesn't mean we can afford to stay corncob conservative and expect him to single-handedly slam in a few TDs every game.

9. The Brain

nope VOR it was thrown towards Hankton... seen it with my own eyes... Rosiznski (sp?) even said it was thrown towards Hankton before he noted "No he's just throwing it away"

10. The Brain

I think redzone offense will straighten out actually after Delhomme gets a shot with the first team offense... he's not a major scrambler, but he's much better at that than Peete and that will provide another option... but the fact is you'll probably be seeing Davis (possibly Foster), Muhammed, Steve Smith, and Ricky Proehl. in those situations... with Hoover and a TE being the alternating piece... Proehl is a similar clutch reciever like Walls was and could be VERY good when using him and Steven Davis in play action situations... but one way or another if our first string O-line continues to gel get better from what they already have shown its only a matter of time before they become dangerous inside the 20 yard line