1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What I learned tonight

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Aug 9, 2003.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Starting D is as good as ever. Muhsin looks in regular season form.

Delhomme is better than Peete. As of yet I haven't seen enough of Weinke to remember much of what he did. But he's got a strong ball with OK velocity. Not as much as Delhomme (on velocity) but he's accurate. Which is a nice change.

Seidman's looking great third team.
    Wiggins looked good as a second TE but not great in that he fumbled. Three fumbles overall.

Despite the fumble, Brown's a good looking back. Davis? YOu could ask for no better. Plays in the passing game, plays in the running game. Shrugs off tacklers and has decent moves. Only one play that wasn't a major gain. 87 yards on 8 plays and only one was a pass.

Manning might be raw, but he stopped two balls near or in the goal. He's moving up.

Who didn't do well? I hope Bates didn't do enough to get more time at RB. He's got a roster spot, let's leave it at that. Again, where's Hicks?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2003
  2. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Brezinski did nothing to get the start.

3. DaveW

DaveW Super Moderator

Again, where's Hicks?

in the end zone

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    yeah, Hicks came in finally. And looked good.
    So why is he behind Bates and Smart? He'd be 6th string based on that, incl. Foster.

Brzezinski was adequate. Jeno looked a bit better.

5. DaveW

DaveW Super Moderator

the redskinns were pretty bad tonight, regardless. Sure is nice to show a little depth

6. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i learned that the redskins are going to start off 0-6.

7. Rick

Rick Member

What I learned

Delhomme and Weinke can play better than Peete.
    Walter Young is not Randy Moss
    Davis is a game breaker.
    Jarrod Cooper can hit like John Lynch
    We can keep a lead and win!!
    I like Ricky Manning.

8. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

What I learned:

- Jake Delhomme was solid, but didn't get enough passing chances. He only threw the ball 5 times. And don't get me wrong I don't think the offensive calls were bad while he was in I mean it in a purely evaluation standpoint only, but with fewer throws and a NICE run, he played better than Peete.

- Starting Defense was solid. Second team defense was solid. And 3rd team defense was bent but never broke.

- Ricky Manning impressed the hell outta me. He's raw he made mistakes but he's got the pure athletic ability to make up for some of them.

- Steven Davis... what can you say but DAYUM!

- Jordan Gross... I wateched him on every replay that I saw and he handled his man extremely well for a rook.

- Julius Peppers didn't get a sack, but was giving one of the NFL's better Right Tackles duck fits and he would have had a sack or 4 before the game was complete had he played the entire game. He's moved on from rookie Phenom to a pure force.

- My ranking of the running backs that played in this game: Davis, Hicks, Smart, Brown, and Bates. (I didn't really expect Michael Bates to be a huge RB force to be honest though.)

- Our O-Line as a whole seemed MUCH better the only QB that seemed to get constant pressure was Fasani. I know all the QBs got some pressure, but Fasani saw the much.

- Too many fumbles. Some people may have cost themselves a job with them.

- Mike Seidman looks like a better candidate to start at TE than Mangum does. I know he was playing with the 3rd unit, but I expect him to be playing with the 2nd unit during Friday's game. He'll continue to work his way up the charts if he plays like he did today.

- Wilkens is a NICE pickup as a Punt Returner and ran good routes.

- Eugene Baker is this year's Anthony Bright... I was expecting Marco Martos to be that guy, but Baker caught everything thrown in his direction and some that weren't.

- Moose played like a man possesed he caught EVERYTHING sent his way and made things happen when he got the ball.

- As a whole this team impressed me a LOT. I know its preseason, but the team looks DEEP. Furthermore the offense looks a HELL of a lot better... I mean SHOCKINGLY better. I'm just afraid that once the season gets here that Hennig will pull back the reigns and hold off more on the passing game... it'd be a huge mistake because tonight seemed to have a perfect mix of run and pass. HOPEFULLY he'll notice after this that it IS possible to pass the ball and have a clock control offense.

9. Panther_Fanatic

Panther_Fanatic Seeker of an NC Pro Title

Re: What I learned

Peete's still the starter. Delhomme and Weinke played admirably against 2nd and 3rd teamers, but they will need reps against the 1st team before I'm ready to anoint any one of them the starter over Peete.

Young quit on that fade route, a damning quality of Randall Moss. I think that was the only ball thrown his way, but he's young yet and will get more opportunities. However, the knock on the kid coming out of college was that he was lazy and didn't play to his God-given talent level.

Davis played like a game breaker tonight. He'll need to duplicate that performance against a neutral opponent next week in order to prove that tonight's performance didn't stem from revenge mode.

Yup, which probably reaffirms Mag's belief that he could challenge for a starting spot on some other team. Let's find away to keep him here past the season, although we do have the right of first refusal on Coop as an RFA.

Heh, yeah. We were up 13-0 inside the Washington 10 and I was thinking ''here comes the obligatory fumble return TD leading to our demise.'' Fortunately, it didn't happen.

Manning's a baller. He'll see extended time in the nickel package with tonight's performance against a primarily passing offense.

10. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

Front seven on D looked good, DB's still need to tighten up their coverages. The 'Skins had several guys open early, but drops and misfires from Ramsey saved their bacon. That our Front Four is legit two deep.

That I wish Manning were at least three inches taller so I wouldn't be so paranoid about him covering the taller WRs he'll be facing.

That Walls with one good leg would still be a better option than Mangum. Seidman should be the starter by midseason, if not earlier.

That Brzenzski looks like a bust as a FA signing. James will probably be the starter. That Nelson was definately a reach at #2. That three more weeks of facing Peppers daily will have Gross ready for openning day.

That Peete is almost out of gas and he passed the last station about 50 miles back. His passes took a while to get out to the flats and a couple of them were behind people. That it's probably Delhomme's job to lose and if he doesn't get completely stupid with the ball should win the job. That what's been heard on Weinke's performance in camp may be legit. He showed better decision making and better touch on his throws save the one deflection to Baker. He stuck a couple of throws in over the middle in traffic, made the screen throw to Wilkins without bouncing it, and had nice touch on the fade in the endzone. That Fasani may be more suited for Australian Rules Football than the NFL.

That both Smart and Bates are being looked at to contribute other than Special Teamswise to make the roster. That Hicks better pick it up if he wants a roster spot.