1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

WFNZ Ratings

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by RealMcCoy, May 8, 2009.

1. sfitz76

sfitz76 Junior Member

I'd rather listen to a local guy talk about nothing, than Mike and Mike talk about the Yankees for 4 hours.

2. kshead

kshead What's the spread?

3. sfitz76

sfitz76 Junior Member

Czaban's show is one of the best in the country. If you have Fox Sports Radio you should listen. You can listen on the internet for free.

4. Scottley Crue

Scottley Crue Junior Member

It certainly needs to have national talk, yes. Not every single second needs to be local talk. But there's not much point in having a local station if the top priority isn't the local teams. When there's not much going on, yes, the national stories can take more of center stage. But even in their off-seasons, there should be an effort to regularly update things about at least the Panthers and Bobcats.

Of course, none of this matters much if it's the current group FNZ has delivering it to you.

5. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

After the third time I got out of the shower to turn the Mac show off, I don't even bother to turn him on in the mornings anymore. There is absolutely nothing about that show I can tolerate....I really would like to listen to sportstalk in the morning.

Buc and Garcia......who can listen to them destroy the English language while talking over each other for more than 5 minutes.....While I'm in the car at lunchtime, it's Cowherd....

Packer's show is somewhat tolerable during the drive home from work. As a whole, it has gotten so much worse over the years.

6. Sleehrat Nation

Sleehrat Nation Full Access Member

So the question is, are the opinions on this board just a vocal minority or is this dominant opinion. Of course, you only hear the giddy callers make it on air. But we don't always hear the volume and content of callers emailing in with complaints. I did email Mac to complain and he was polite and contrite in response, basically saying that intellectual sports talk doesn't sell.

7. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

He is always contrite with his responses to critical emails. If he actually believes that intellectual sports talk doesn't sell, he's a larger idiot than what the popular belief is.

8. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

This is the vocal minority. The dominant opinion couldn't give a shit because they don't listen to sports talk to begin with. Which is why FNZ needs to cater to us. Without the hard-core fan their rankings have gone in the tank.

Funny that Mac says that, I'd love to know what he knows about intellectual sports talk. He's probably right though, that's why Gerry V used to kick Matt Pinto's ass way back when. Too bad cause Pinto's show was far superior.

9. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

best guy i ever heard was on one-on-one sports -- after arnie spanier, i think. bob kemp. can't remember his name. anyway, his show rarely had guests. it was always fact-based. he was excellent. always had fresh angles on everything. miss him a lot. it was pretty much the opposite of this "guy sports radio" crap.

10. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

excellent! found a link: http://workbench.cadenhead.org/bobkemp/oldbio.html

Biography of Sports Radio Host Bob Kemp

Bob Kemp, host on One on One Sports(Note: This biography was written before Bob Kemp aired his last show on Sporting News Radio on Feb. 1, 2002.)

I'm a huge fan of Bob Kemp, the overnight host on the syndicated radio station Sporting News Radio. Kemp, whose show airs from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. Eastern each weekday, talks sports to the exclusion of everything else, unlike a lot of hosts who turn their programs into "guy talk" with musical, political, and social topics.

The only subject on Kemp's show is sports, delivered by a person with a demeanor that is surly on his best day. Sometimes it sounds like the idiocies of the sports world have left him completely despondent -- there are times I believe I can hear Kemp taking a shotgun out of his mouth to respond to a caller, then putting it back in afterwards.

The show is as dry and plain-spoken as radio gets. Some subjects are banned for discussion because they've been talked to death or lend themselves to inane chatter (the current list includes Pete Rose, Dennis Rodman, the College of Charleston, Bowl Championship Series, and Super Bowl 35).

Another anti-stupidity rule is that no caller can mention the word "respect," as in "The Ravens don't get enough respect." Anyone who uses "the R word" is immediately cut off by Aretha Franklin.

I love Kemp with the kind of affection that pre-teen girls feel for Britney Spears. I recently requested an autographed photo, and when it arrives, I plan to display it in an embarrassingly prominent place in my home.

I started listening to his show in the early '90s in Dallas and it followed me to Colorado and Florida. Although my schedule no longer keeps me up in the middle of the night, I recently found Total Recorder, a Windows program that lets me record it for playback in the morning.

Kemp, a former newspaper sportswriter who worked in sports handicapping for a few years, is one of the only people on the air who studies sports. He reads dozens of sports columnists and reporters each week, occasionally bringing on his favorite sources for interviews.

Because he is so well-informed, Kemp is great at ferreting out a caller who doesn't know what he's talking about. Part of the charm of his show is the occasional caller meltdown -- especially if the person says something dumb as a result of being "rah rah" in support of a favorite team. Kemp feasts on that stuff like a shark on chum.

Kemp's show airs from 1 a.m. to 6 a.m. Eastern on Monday and from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. Tuesday through Friday. The call-in number is 1-800-777-2907.