1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Week 3 Picks

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Piper, Sep 17, 2003.

1. FreakOnA_Leash

FreakOnA_Leash Full Access Member

Jets @ New England- JETS I smell upset
    K.C. @ Houston- K.C.
    T.B. @ Atlanta- TB I see them being revengfull
    Pitt. @ Cincy- Pitt
    Minn. @ Det.- Det. upset #2 of the week
    N.O. @ Tenn.- NO Tenn is hurt as usual
    Jack. @ Indy- Jax Need first win, good team to get it from
    St. L. @ Sea.- STL Faulk has his first good game of the year
    N.Y. Giants @ Wash.- NYG
    G.B. @ Ari.- GB
    Balt. @ S.D.- SD also get first win this week, Lewis gets shut down
    Clev. @ S.F. -SF
    Buff. @ Mia.- Mia
    Oak. @ Den.- Den Portis cannot be contained

2. lex

lex viking extraordinaire

patriots
    chiefs
    bucs
    steelers
    vikings
    titans
    colts
    seahawks
    giants
    pukers
    chargers
    niners
    bills
    doncos

3. PanthersReturn

PanthersReturn Serial killer of threads

Patriots over Jets by 10
    Chiefs over Houston by 14
    Bucs over Falcons by 3
    Steelers over Bengals by 1
    Vikings over Lions by 6
    Titans thrashing Aints by 17
    Colts beating the Jags by a field goal
    Seahawks by 5 over Lambs
    Giants over Skins by 10
    Green Bay by 21 over Cards
    Chargers by 7 over Ravens
    Niners beating the Brownies by 14
    Dolphins upset Bills by 3
    Oakland over Broncos by 5

4. El Bastardo

El Bastardo Who me?

Last week 9-7, 19-13 on the season. Week three winners:

Bucs
    Steelers
    Vikings
    Chiefs
    Colts
    Pats
    Titans
    Packers
    Seahawks
    Giants
    Ravens
    49ers
    Bills
    Broncos

5. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

Fish are favored by three

6. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

I find that hard to believe....

7. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

hmmm... good game to bet on there... may have to call Vegas... at the VERY least Bills cover the spread

8. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

9 - 7 again last week. I'm 18 - 14 for the year (56.2%)

Jacksonville @ IndianapolisINDAfter last week’s trouncing of the Flaming Thumbtacks, it would seem Dungy’s finally got both the offense and the defense clicking.

Kansas City @ HoustonHOUThis has upset written all over it. The Texans’ OL has finally learned how to pass protect, and Priest Holmes is hurt. Trent Green and Larry Johnson won’t be enough to carry the load against the solid Houston defense.

Minnesota @ DetroitMINCould the Vikes’ second greatest show on turf be back? Have they finally found a defense? Harrington to Rogers will make it interesting, but the Vikes should win easily.

New Orleans @ TennesseeTENBoth are teams with wounded pride, but the Aints are wounded on defense, too.

New York Jets @ New EnglandNEThe Pates are out to show that week 1 was a fluke, not week 2.

Pittsburgh @ CincinnatiPITNothing like a win against a weak division opponent to get back on track. Joey Porter’s return should give the Steelers’ D a much needed shot in the…

Tampa Bay @ AtlantaTBThe Dirty Birds will keep it close with a heavy dose of T.J. Duckett, but the Bucs are out for blood, and Doug Johnson ain’t Michael Vick.

Green Bay @ ArizonaGBEvery struggling QB in the league ought to get a shot against the Cardinals.

New York Giants @ WashingtonNYGSmoot got hurt in practice this week, and Collins is the best pure passer in the NFC East.

St. Louis @ SeattleSTLThese two teams are getting very, very close. Which Shaun Alexander will show up? If Martz finally uses Faulk the way he should be used, the Rams should be able to hold on for the win.

Baltimore @ San DiegoSDA contest of two great running backs and two young QB’s. Right now, Brees is better than Boller.

Cleveland @ San FranciscoSFErickson’s got the 49ers off to a surprising start. He should be able to get back on track against the struggling Browns.

Buffalo @ MiamiBUFThe Bills are hotter than South Beach at Spring Break, and the best defense on paper has been scratching it’s collective head since week 1.

Oakland @ DenverDENPlummer’s got a separated non-throwing shoulder, Portis is dinged up, and the Raiders still haven’t found any juice on either side of the ball. In one of the fiercest rivalries in football, I’ll give this one to the home team.

9. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

dang.....you're right, could be one of those ka-"bookie" things ;)

looks too easy.........watch out boys.

10. Turbo

Turbo Freakin' Awesome

Last week's record: 9-7. Season-to-date: 19-13

GAME OF WEEK: BUCS (1-1) AT FALCONS (1-1)
    Line: Bucs by 4.
    Last meeting: Bucs won 34-10 at Tampa Bay on Dec. 8, 2002.
    Key stat: Bucs have beaten Falcons five straight in last five years.
    Players to watch: Falcons' key free-agent acquisition, Peerless Price, has only four catches the first two weeks. Bucs' Brad Johnson has thrown 7 TD passes vs. 3 interceptions in last three games vs. Falcons.
    The buzz: Key early-season meeting of NFC South favorites goes on without injured Michael Vick, as replacement Doug Johnson tries to get the ball to Price more. Bucs struggling on offense, Falcons don't have enough to do much against an overpowering defense.
    My Pick: Bucs 20, Falcons 17.

Vikings (2-0) at Lions (1-1)
    Line: Vikings by 3 1/2.
    Last meeting: Vikings won 38-36 at Detroit on Dec. 29, 2002.
    Key stat: Vikings have won six of last seven meetings.
    Players to watch: Daunte Culpepper has thrown 9 TD passes vs. 5 interceptions in last five games vs. Lions. Detroit rookie Charles Rogers had two TD catches in opener and could have big day vs. Vikings' secondary.
    The buzz: The Vikings have won at Green Bay, but could they lose at Detroit? They could, but . . . Vikings showed last week they can win even without a big game from their passing offense. Lions still trying to find a running back.
    My Pick: Vikings 27, Lions 20.

Chiefs (2-0) at Texans (1-1)
    Line: Chiefs by 7 1/2.
    Last meeting: This is their first meeting.
    Key stat: Chiefs were 2-6 on the road in '02.
    Players to watch: Houston's David Carr has completed just more than half (34-of-67) of his passes as the Texans opened with two on the road. Chiefs' Priest Holmes is averaging 4.7 yards per carry, but will his injured hip slow him down?
    The buzz: Chiefs' fast start at home has made them a playoff possibility; now they must show they can win on the road. Winning at Houston wouldn't be a huge accomplishment, but a loss might prove to be telling. Texans will struggle vs. NFL's No. 1 rushing defense.
    My Pick: Chiefs 30, Texans 20.

Saints (1-1) at Titans (1-1)
    Line: Titans by 4 1/2.
    Last meeting: Titans won 24-21 at New Orleans on Oct. 17, 1999.
    Key stat: Under Jim Haslett, Saints are 16-9 on the road.
    Players to watch: Derrick Mason, the Titans' only reliable weapon so far, leads NFL with 20 catches, 1 TD. Saints' Joe Horn has 17 catches, also 1 TD.
    The buzz: Saints have more offensive versatility with Horn and Deuce McAllister, who is averaging 4.6 yards per carry. Titans need solid games from end Kevin Carter and linebackers Keith Bullock and Jevon Kearse.
    My Pick: Titans 21, Saints 20.

Jets (0-2) at Patriots (1-1)
    Line: Patriots by 6 1/2.
    Last meeting: Jets won 30-17 at New England on Dec. 22.
    Key stat: Jets have won five of last seven meetings.
    Players to watch: Jets are 6-0 vs. Patriots when Curtis Martin, averaging 3.2 yards per carry, rushes for 100 yards. Kevin Faulk leads Pats with 85 yards, 5.0 yards per carry.
    The buzz: Patriots opened with two on the road and came home at .500. Jets are on the verge of falling out of playoff picture quickly. Can Vinny Testaverde outplay Tom Brady? Pats' defense goes without Rosevelt Colvin (hip).
    My Pick: Patriots 24, Jets 20.

Jaguars (0-2) at Colts (2-0)
    Line: Colts by 7 1/2.
    Last meeting: Colts won 20-13 at Indianapolis on Dec. 29.
    Key stat: Colts going for first 3-0 start since 1996.
    Players to watch: Jaguars need more than 3.9 yards per carry they're getting from Fred Taylor. Edgerrin James averaging 4.2 for Colts.
    The buzz: In Tony Dungy's second season as head coach, Colts have allowed only 13 points in the first two games. Plus, the matchups all presage a good day for the Peyton Manning-to-Marvin Harrison act.
    My Pick: Colts 27, Jaguars 16.

Steelers (1-1) at Bengals (0-2)
    Line: Steelers by 4 1/2.
    Last meeting: Steelers won 29-21 at Pittsburgh on Nov. 24, 2002.
    Key stat: Steelers have won five of last six meetings.
    Players to watch: Chad Johnson an emerging star for Bengals with 14 catches, 1 TD. Steelers' Hines Ward off to a fast start with 18 receptions, 2 TDs.
    The buzz: Steelers still blistering over 21-point loss at Kansas City but won't have any easy time making Bengals pay for it. If Steelers can't run with Amos Zereoue and Jerome Bettis, Bengals will have a chance.
    My Pick: Steelers 23, Bengals 20.

Rams (1-1) at Seahawks (2-0)
    Line: Seahawks by 3.
    Last meeting: Seahawks won 30-10 at Seattle on Dec. 22, 2002.
    Key stat: Seattle has not turned the ball over and is plus-10 in turnover differential.
    Players to watch: Marc Bulger gets a chance to keep the Rams' starting job. Matt Hasselbeck has thrown 4 TD passes in the first two weeks for Seahawks.
    The buzz: Seattle has won its first two games by a combined score of 65-10, and Rams' offense has not been particularly impressive. Seahawks look like the class of the NFC West.
    My Pick: Seahawks 30, Rams 23.

Giants (1-1) at Redskins (2-0)
    Line: Redskins by 2 1/2.
    Last meeting: Giants won 27-21 at New York on Dec. 18, 2002.
    Key stat: Redskins going for first 3-0 start since 1991.
    Players to watch: Trung Canidate off to good start with Redskins, averaging 5.4 yards per carry. Tiki Barber getting 4.8 for Giants.
    The buzz:[I/] Giants will have to shake off stunning Monday night loss to Dallas as they prepare to play their chief rival in the NFC East. Steve Spurrier critics can't be happy--he has a team that can run with Canidate and throw with Patrick Ramsey (3 TD passes, 1 interception).
    My Pick: Giants 23, Redskins 17.

Packers (1-1) at Cardinals (0-2)
    Line: Packers by 7 1/2.
    Last meeting: Packers won 29-3 at Arizona on Sept. 24, 2000.
    Key stat: Cardinals are already minus-9 in turnover differential.
    Players to watch: Ahman Green averaging 5.6 yards per carry and leads NFC with three rushing TDs. Emmitt Smith averaging 4.4 yards per carry for Cardinals.
    The buzz: Cardinals have been outscored 80-24 in their first two games and now get to face Brett Favre. Unless Packers have trouble with the heat, they'll have a big day offensively.
    My Pick: Packers 34, Cardinals 17.

Ravens (1-1) at Chargers (0-2)
    Line: Ravens by 1.
    Last meeting: Ravens won 24-3 at Baltimore on Dec. 10, 2000.
    Key stat: Chargers have lost three straight regular-season home games, including one this season.
    Players to watch: What can Jamal Lewis do for an encore after setting NFL record with 295-yard rushing game last week? Against this defense, probably quite a bit. LaDainian Tomlinson averaged 4.4 yards per carry for Chargers.
    The buzz: If Chargers can slow down Lewis, they can stop Ravens. Rookie quarterback Kyle Boller isn't ready to carry the team. Can Drew Brees-to-David Boston work for Chargers?
    My Pick: Ravens 21, Chargers 20.

Browns (0-2) at 49ers (1-1)
    Line: 49ers by 7.
    Last meeting: First meeting since Browns returned to NFL in 1999.
    Key stat: San Francisco is second in NFL with turnover differential of plus-6.
    Players to watch: Garrison Hearst averaging 6.6 yards per carry for 49ers. Kelly Holcomb has thrown only 1 TD with 4 interceptions in first two weeks.
    The buzz: With Holcomb struggling in first season as a starter, Browns haven't generated much of an offense. Is that Tim Couch warming up? San Francisco can run, pass and play defense better than Cleveland. That should be enough.
    My Pick: 49ers 28, Browns 13.

Bills (2-0) at Dolphins (1-1)
    Line: Dolphins by 3.
    Last meeting: Bills won 38-21 at Buffalo on Dec. 1, 2002.
    Key stat: Home team has won 10 of last 14 in this rivalry.
    Players to watch: Bills' Travis Henry has averaged 126.7 yards rushing in three games vs. Dolphins. Miami's Jay Fiedler has thrown 8 TDs vs. 2 interceptions in four games--all victories--vs. Bills.
    The buzz: Pivotal early-season AFC East meeting that Dolphins can ill-afford to lose. Bills are among the league's most improved teams, but Ricky Williams can hurt them.
    My Pick: Dolphins 28, Bills 27.

Raiders (1-1) at Broncos (2-0)
    Line: Broncos by 5 1/2.
    Last meeting: Raiders won 28-16 at Oakland on Dec. 22.
    Key stat: Broncos have won seven of last eight vs. Raiders at home.
    Players to watch: In his last four games vs. Broncos, Rich Gannon has thrown 9 TD passes and 2 interceptions. In last four vs. Raiders, Rod Smith has 36 catches, 3 for TDs.
    The buzz: With Jake Plummer's shoulder injury an issue, Broncos will have to depend on the running of Clinton Portis. Raiders are struggling on offense, and Broncos showed some grit by opening with two road victories.
    My Pick: Broncos 24, Raiders 20.