1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

UNC to the Final Four

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by The Brain, Mar 27, 2011.

1. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

or the way UNC beat Duke at Chapel Hill. :hammer:

The expectations were higher for Duke I'd say as they were preseason #1 but WTFever. Both teams season ended with a loss so whatever. Especially after the festering turd season Carolina had last year I'm satisfied. Hopefully it makes Barnes want to stay around a while longer

2. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

We all know Dukes expectations hinged on Irving. I'd say they did just fine without him and should of not tried to mix him back into the starting lineup during the NCAAs. Duke was firing on all cylinders after the ACC Championship game.

Both Chapel Hill and Duke had great seasons. CH especially after their personnel issue. I think Williams did a great job coaching this season.

3. Johnny Rebel

Johnny Rebel BBBD

I forgot, a couple years ago sly told me dook had the better season because they won the ACC championship. Even though UNC won the NC...

4. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I would say they had about equal years. Duke won the ACC tournament but UNC got further in the NCAA. I would give a slight edge to Duke since they won the season series 2 games to 1 and were ranked higher all year.

5. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

There is no way that you can say that dook had the better year. They had most of their team coming back from last year's championship run and added in one of the best recruits in the nation.

UNC had a great, yet unproven, recruitung class coming in to a squad that barely made the NIT last year, had an unbelievable amount of change even during the season and went to the elite 8.

6. Fred

Fred .........

Duke had a good early season- Carolina struggled. UNC lost for Minnesota for God's sake!

UNC got their shit together mid-season and caught up with Duke.

7. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

You honestly consider an Elite 8 better than an ACC Championship and a winning record head-to-head and a Sweet 16 (remember when UNC used to cherish those? I do)

UNC had a fine season and achieved more than some thought after last year, but they didn't accomplish more than Duke. Expectations don't factor into results. Duke didn't get the results they were looking for, but they got more results than UNC.

Like I said earlier, if UNC had made the FF I would agree that I would take that over an ACC Championship. But even that is arguable to some. But no one takes an Elite 8 over a Conference Championship (especially when you consider Duke made it to the Sweet 16 on top of it.)

8. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Based on expectations, absolutely. dook had higher expectations coming into this season than UNC and underperformed based on those expectations.

Remember Hansbrough's senior year? Anything less than an NC would have been a disappointment. I would think that dook should have felt close to that this year. Assuming everyone comes back, then next year the pressure is on UNC and not dook.

9. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

Being more disappointed at a lack of a title doesn't mean that Duke accomplished less as a team. We're arguing two separate points.

Anyway, I'm old enough that I never count on a title. Too much can go wrong in a one and done scenario. Most you can ever 'count' on is a Final Four imo.

Now, Duke 2002, there was a disappointment. I'll always view 2010-11 as a 'what-if' season and not a disappointment. But 2002 we brought back the whole team but Battier. And we screwed around all year and it caught up to us. 1999, there was a disappointing year.

2011? Not really. We may have underachieved but no real fan ever expects an undefeated season. And anyone paying attention knew our FF/NC hopes took a serious hit on the 8th game of the season. Kyrie Irving coming back late doesn't negate the fact that his injury had a huge impact on the whole season.

10. Fred

Fred .........

Minnifuckinsota!