1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

UNC-Duke game

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by UNCfever, Mar 6, 2005.

1. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

Still won't admit you are too stupid to logically follow an argument. Nice.

2. UNCfever

UNCfever Full Access Member

So if one winning % is higher overall, wouldn't that mean their overall competition was tougher, since they had a better success rate against those others teams and their teams?

3. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Ya'll hear anything about this??

Read towards the bottom...

HEELS OUTDUKE BLUE DEVILS

March 7, 2005 -- CHAPEL HILL — The unabashed bedlam that spilled out onto the floor of the Dean Dome at the final buzzer of yesterday's North Carolina 75-73 victory over Duke in the teams' epic ACC regular-season finale told you know all you needed to know about the angst that this game presented to the powder-blue-clad Tar Heels faithful.
    Based on the euphoric thousands of UNC fans who stormed the floor, you'd have thought the 26-3 Tar Heels, who did win the ACC title and clinch the top seed in next week's conference tournament with the victory, had just won the national championship on their home floor.

Carolina coach Roy Williams entered the game 0-3 against Duke as the Heels' coach, 1-6 lifetime. Duke entered the game having won 15 of the last 17 meetings between these two rivals, including a nail-biter at Cameron Indoor Stadium earlier this season.

So, with Duke (22-5) having come back from and eight-point deficit early in the second half to lead 73-64 over Carolina with 3:03 remaining in the game, you can imagine the queasy feeling that engulfed the jam-packed arena named after the legendary Dean Smith that sits high atop a hill of the UNC campus.

The final moments of this classic — a game so good from start to finish that it should have been reserved for an NCAA Tournament regional — all fell Carolina's way as the Heels scored the final 11 points of the game.

"I don't know about defining moments," a breathless Roy Williams said after being extricated from the flooded arena floor. "I believe in luck, the stars and moon and everything aligned. Sometimes I think some things should happen just because it's right."

"We played four games against Duke since we came back here and all four came down to the last minute. They were able to win three of those. Maybe the moon was just right and it was just our turn."

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski called it "a great game, a very intense game" and praised UNC.

That intensity spilled into the stands as Krzyzewski, livid when he heard a Carolina fan yell to him on his way off the court at the end of the half, "You've got (official Larry) Rose in your pocket," had security eject the fan from the arena.

The fan's name: Scott Williams, Roy Williams' son.

The No. 2-ranked Tar Heels took a 74-73 lead when Marvin Williams rebounded and stuck back a missed Raymond Felton free throw with 17.6 seconds remaining while being fouled. His free throw gave the Heels a 75-73 lead.

Duke (22-5) raced the ball down the court and J.J. Redick, the Blue Devils' best player who went scoreless in the second half after scoring 17 in the first, launched a 3-point game-winning attempt that sank halfway down the cylinder before bounding out with 5.8 seconds remaining.

"Down nine with three minutes to go, everyone thought it was over but us," said UNC's Sean May, who scored 26 points and had 24 rebounds. "I've never experienced anything like this before. This is something I'll never forget the rest of my life."

4. python

python It Happens

yup.

5. python

python It Happens

The Heels have twice the talent Duke does this year.Carolina has an excellent shot to win it all,if Duke makes the sweet 16, it'll be a great year for them.

6. RobAC65

RobAC65 By Grace Through Faith!!

gee wiz

good grief... ya know though last time unc beat us in the regular season was 2001... we went and won national championship.. im not saying we'll do that... im gonna be honest i think unc and illinois will make the final four.. the other 2 are the toss ups..

Whether Duke goes far or not will depend on what bracket they get in... i look for duke and carolina to play this weekend sometime maybe... or possibly unc be a #1 and duke a #2 or #3 in that same bracket and then play each other again...
    BEST RIVALRY IN ALL OF SPORTS!! AND YA'LL GOT US THIS TIME BUT WE'LL BE BACK OF COURSE