1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Tweets of interest

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Jul 26, 2011.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    @EricStangel: NFL: The Carolina Panthers are going nuts in free agency. They just signed the Houston Texans...

PriscoCBS Pete Prisco
    by jcmahoney
    The Panthers have spent a ton of money. But on their own. That's the smart way.

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

Because you're such a complete homer, you can't even admit that it was a dumbass move to spend far more on Charles Johnson than anyone else was offering.

Actually, Hurney grossly overpaying players is something we've been bitching about for years. Delhomme, Gross, Wharton, Gamble, Wahle, Lucas, etc.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

I knew it was going to cost a fuckton, months ago, and said I'd be willing to put more in rather than lose him. I knew they were going to be aggressive. Why would I suddenly think something I didn't think a month ago? That's reactionary.

4. finleye

finleye como say what?

maybe I'm a homer too, but I'm with magnus on this. gotta keep CJ no matter what. And I wouldn't necessarily believe anything Atlanta says about their offer, its likely post deal spin.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Johnson himself said he was blown away. Carolina was the only one to actually put in an offer so the idea of what anyone else offered would be a fallacy. The last bit before FA started was that Atlanta wasn't going to go bigtime, preferring to keep their shoddy OL together. I think they got discussions because he's from there, and they were hoping for a discount. My guess would be that Denver put up a bigger fight.

if I were to look at the value of deals, his contract is in line with the top 5 salaries at the position (franchise tag cost). Is he one of the top 5 players at his position? No. Was he last year? Sure, and a top ten rush type guy in 08; for a free agent to receive a deal within this range isn't unheard of, however. Given that the deal won't escalate in value over time but the franchise tag will, if that's measure of value it will still be huge but

Same for DW. You can argue whether DW is a top 5 back or top ten, but there aren't realistic people saying he's far down from that. Running back franchise tag was $9.5 million; he got just a bit more than the 2010 tag of 8.15 million.

They both come under the idea of constant production, which is stating the obvious. If Williams stays relatively healthy, and continues to start past Stewart's contract, he can earn it.

6. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

RT @alexmarvez FOXSports.com NFL news: PIT releasing LT Max Starks. <<< the Steelers O-Line - always good 4 story lines.

7. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

FWIW, I don't think we had a 2-14 team, but as former fearless leader Fox says, you are what your record says you are. And I don't think he helped us much in that regard btw. Very shitty job while pocketing around 6 mil, IMO.

The $ game has changed. Salary floor. I know I keep saying it but there's good reason. They have to spend on someone. Devil we know, etc.

2-14, how do you get that turned around if you let your best players go? You have even less then. If we go 7-9 in '11, it looks good. 6-10 still gives hope. We can't do that if we sign scrubs, and again, we have to spend it on someone.

Collin, you topped CJ out at 65 mil I believe. It's one more mil a year more or less. 2 at most if we take your low end. I'm not crazy about it but we'll live.

On the whole, what we've seen so far, I don't agree with the numbers but I understand the thinking.

I still want Hurney out though.

Too tired to get into it more now.

8. liuliping10

liuliping10 Banned From TBR

9. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I also think this is part of the reason really high quality guys dont make it to FA. Teams keep their own. The panthers overpay to do it.

It may not be patriot-esque, but it beats Mount Rushmore.

10. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

To keep up fan support JR had to spend some money this year. I am surprised about he Mare move though. Most fans will not like letting Kasay go.