1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The Tarheels

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by Wise One, Oct 5, 2008.

1. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

what

2. wolfpac

wolfpac Full Access Member

LOL

3. TheGame08

TheGame08 Full Access Member

WHOOOOOOOSH

4. DirtyMoBaseball

DirtyMoBaseball Full Access Member

I am his dad and a UNC fan, but either the tuition I have been paying has made him way smarter than me, or or has strained his brain, but either way I don't understand that post either.

5. LClefty04

LClefty04 Full Access Member

TheGame08, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

6. wolfpac

wolfpac Full Access Member

Billy Madison LOLLER!!!

7. kickazzz2000

kickazzz2000 CURRENTLY ON THE CAN

its....its..all gone.

Attached Files:

8. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

back to topic

Davis’ Imprint On Team Grows Stronger
    CHAPEL HILL — Butch Davis has drawn heavily on his past to plot a course for North Carolina’s football future.

But Davis was quick to dispel thoughts this spring that in two seasons under his watch the Tar Heels have reached the level of the Miami Hurricanes he coached back to prominence from 1995-2000.

“The concepts and philosophies are obviously the same,” Davis said. “But we’re still not a program that has the overall team speed or the kind of depth where our second- and third-team guys are every bit as talented as the starters.

“I do think we’re moving in that direction.”

The progress was evident on the field in 2008, as UNC went from 4-8 in Davis’ first season to 8-5. The Tar Heels were actually in contention for the title in an admittedly weak Coastal Division well into November, and they eventually earned the school’s first bowl berth since 2004.

Off the field, the first part of a three-phase, $50-million expansion of UNC’s Kenan Stadium that Davis sought is under way. A new level is being added to the Kenan Football Center under Phase I, and it should be complete by the 2009 season opener, on Sept. 5 against The Citadel.

The Tar Heels also had five players selected in the 2009 NFL draft, a number that tied Maryland for the most among ACC schools. Three of those draftees were wide receivers, including the school’s all-time leader, Hakeem Nicks, who went in the first round to the New York Giants.

But the fact that the Tar Heels aren’t panicking in the wake of such significant losses is another sign that things are developing in Chapel Hill.

To replace those receivers this spring, Davis rolled out the state’s former No. 1 prospect (Dwight Jones), a U.S. Army All-American Bowl participant (Joshua Adams) and a former USA Today All-American (Greg Little). More help could arrive this summer in the form of touted incoming freshman Jheranie Boyd, who was one of the top 50 overall prospects in the country for 2008, according to Rivals.com.

Jones (6-4), Adams (6-4), Little (6-3) and yet another potential contributor to the receiving corps, sophomore Rashad Mason (6-5), are big targets who should be easy to spot in traffic.

“They’re big, physical guys,” Davis said. “They’re big targets, and they’re strong enough to get off jams. That’s sort of the prevalent body type these days for (the NFL).”

The Tar Heels also experimented this spring with junior Johnny White at receiver. White began his UNC career at tailback and led UNC in rushing as a freshman. He shifted to cornerback as a sophomore but saw his most extensive playing time as a kickoff return man. The 5-10, 205-pounder shifted back to offense this spring, this time to the receiver position, where he was impressive.

“Johnny White is a very good athlete,” Davis said. “There are roles and things he can do to help this football team to win. You want to find something for him to be a significant contributor.”

Junior quarterback T.J. Yates was impressed with what he saw in his first experience with the receivers, young and old.

“Josh Adams is one of the most polished wide receivers as a freshman coming in that I’ve seen,” Yates said. “Dwight can run the long routes better than anybody I know. And Greg Little is kind of our old guy who knows more about the offense than anybody else.

“You don’t replace guys like Hakeem Nicks, but I believe we’re going to be just fine at receiver.”

The Tar Heels also are doing “fine” on the defensive front, where they are closest to becoming Miami-like in skill and depth.

All four starters are scheduled to return in 2009, along with seven other lettermen and former Oklahoma signee Jordan Nix, who will be eligible after sitting out last year under transfer rules. Only two in that dozen, starting tackle Cam Thomas and reserve tackle Tavares Brown, will be seniors this fall.

“I remember, not too far back, when we struggled to keep fresh bodies in the game,” Thomas said. “Now, we have enough to play two teams, and there’s no dropoff from the first group to the second group.”

The Tar Heels are not so fortunate at several other positions. Although most of their front-line players are solid, depth could be a problem in the immediate future at quarterback, on the offensive line and at cornerback.

The transfer of quarterback Cam Sexton (Catawba), who essentially saved UNC’s season last year when Yates went down with a foot fracture in the third game, left a major void behind Yates for 2009. Heralded recruit Mike Paulus struggled when given an opportunity last year, and rumors abounded in the offseason that he might transfer. Paulus, though, stuck it out through spring practice and progressed enough for Yates to consider him legitimate competition.

“Out of anybody on this team, Mike is not going to lay down and stop,” Yates said. “The kid works harder than anybody I know, and he’s been pushing me every day.”

One of the major adjustments for the Tar Heels this spring involved the coaching staff.

Three coaches departed for other positions following the 2008 season: special teams coach and defensive assistant John Lovett departed for a promotion to defensive coordinator at Miami, tight ends coach Steve Hagen took a job with the NFL’s Cleveland Browns, and linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen left for a huge raise at Auburn.

The loss of Thigpen was somewhat surprising and the most significant of the departures. A former UNC linebacker, he had helped develop potential stars in Bruce Carter and Quan Sturdivant, and he was a stellar recruiter.

To fill the gaps, Davis hired Troy Douglas from South Florida to coach the defensive backs, 25-year veteran Art Kaufman to replace Thigpen with the linebackers, and former UNC tight end Allen Mogridge to work his old position.

It appeared at one point during the winter that Davis also might have to replace John Blake, the most important member of his staff. Blake wears a variety of hats at UNC. He’s the associate head coach, tutors the defensive linemen and serves as the recruiting coordinator. As the latter, Blake is considered one of the best in the nation.

Blake’s name surfaced briefly in December as a possible candidate for the head coaching position at Syracuse. But the rumor that concerned most UNC fans emerged in January, when it seemed that the New York Jets were targeting Blake to coach their defensive line.

Fortunately for Davis and the Tar Heels, Blake expressed little interest in either job.

Hanging onto Blake is essential as Davis continues to stockpile talent that he hopes one day will turn UNC into a championship-caliber program.

“We want to try to build a fast, athletic defensive team that can run,” Davis said. “We want a lot of depth in the defensive line. We would love to have playmakers at all five of the skill positions on offense, and we want to be able to run the football.

“Hopefully, we’ll continue to recruit good kids, and we’ll get there some day.”

Just like he did at Miami.

9. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

way to ruin one of the most stupid threads ever Franchise:thumbsdown:

10. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue