1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The Tarheels

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by Wise One, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

CHARLOTTE, N.C. --- Marquise Williams stepped to the podium on Saturday afternoon at the Mallard Creek High School gymnasium and announced his decision. He's a Tar Heel.

Williams, a 6-3, 215-pound quarterback, chose UNC over finalists Michigan and Virginia Tech.

He says he also received scholarship offers from Boston College, East Carolina, Florida, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Louisville, NC State, Notre Dame, South Florida, Syracuse, UCLA and Wake Forest.

Williams is rated a four-star prospect and the nation's No. 15 quarterback by Scout.com. Inside Carolina's Don Callahan ranks Williams the No. 4 overall prospect in the state of North Carolina.

Williams is North Carolina's second highly regarded quarterback commitment for its 2011 class, joining Myrtle Beach (S.C.) High's Everett Golson.

Last season in Mallard Creek’s spread offense, Williams accounted for 40 touchdowns, while accumulating roughly 2,000 yards passing and 1,500 rushing yards.

He is the cousin of former Tar Heel Robert Williams.

2. BUCKO

BUCKO Full Access Member

Is he going to play QB in college? I saw him play a couple of times last year and he struck me as someone who was athletic enough to play college football, but probably not as quarterback.

3. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

with "Williams accounted for 40 touchdowns, while accumulating roughly 2,000 yards passing" I would assume they'll try to plug him in as QB. He and the other 4* commit, Golson will have to battle it out.

4. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

5. BUCKO

BUCKO Full Access Member

I was kind of thinking he might be another Quan Sturdivan situation. He's got the physicality to play defense, so I thought they might be thinking of moving him over.

6. monstercat

monstercat Full Access Member

For right now, anyway, it looks like Williams is a QB. They definitely need the depth, because it's just Yates and Renner right now, and Yates is gone next year.

7. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

He's got a better arm than Quan did.

8. Elric

Elric Citizen of the Empire

Butch seems on the ball with recruiting this season. We need a stud RB back badly. I'm hoping one of these guys recruited steps it up this season. That and that Yates doesn't kill us again.

9. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

4* OG, Landon Turner just committed to UNC. "My name is Landon Turner and I'm a Tar Heel"

10. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

from ESPN

QB situation gets crowded
    9:17
    AM ET
    North Carolina Tar Heels TopEmail

Butch Davis' team may have the most stacked (in terms of NFL talent) defense in the country this fall, but the coach is starting to pull in more offensive talent as well. Despite North Carolina's already having one QB committed for the class of 2011, four-star QB Marquise Williams of North Carolina announced on Saturday that he will also become a Tar Heel.

Williams' other finalists were LSU, Michigan and Virginia Tech. As we've told you, the Tigers are in need of another signal caller, but both the Wolverines and Hokies have some depth at the position.

The commitment leaves UNC with three QBs spread among just two classes, as potential starter Bryn Renner is a redshirt freshman. However, either Williams or four-star ATH Everett Golson of South Carolina (No. 136 in the ESPNU 150) very likely will redshirt, and there is also the possibility that one or both changes positions. (Scouts, Inc., says that Williams would make an excellent TE prospect, and that Golson could be a WR or S.)

If Renner is as good as the folks in Chapel Hill believe he is, then it's a pretty good bet that both Williams and Golson will end up at other spots, though one of them may not move for a season or two until the Heels get another backup in. (Unless they aren't sold on sophomore Braden Hanson, the only other QB on the roster.)