1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The Tarheels

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by Wise One, Oct 5, 2008.

1. monstercat

monstercat Full Access Member

I don't know what those ESPN scouts are talking about because Golson is a QB, plain and simple. In fact, from the clips I've seen of Golson, he's more of a passer than a runner.

2. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

For the second consecutive recruiting class, North Carolina has secured a verbal commitment from a highly touted Indiana offensive lineman. Kiaro Holts, Scout.com's No. 5-ranked offensive tackle in the nation, verbally committed to UNC early Friday morning, according to his assistant coach Greg Brookey.

Holts, a 6-foot-4, 266-pounder from Indianapolis (Ind.) Warren Central, selected UNC over fellow finalists Cincinnati, Florida, Oregon, and Virginia Tech. Nearly 30 schools offered him a scholarship, including all five finalists.

Over a year ago, James Hurst, a five-star offensive tackle hailing from Plainfield (Ind.), verbally committed to the Tar Heels. He went on to enroll at UNC last January, after playing in the Under Armour All-American Game.

Outside of their state of residence, the one constant in both Holts’ and Hurst’s recruitment is their primary recruiter, UNC offensive line coach Sam Pittman.

Earlier in the month, Holts made his first and only visit to UNC. He also visited Cincinnati, Florida, Indiana, Louisville, Purdue, and Virginia Tech.

3. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/blog...go.com/ncf/blog?name=feldman_bruce&id=5322140

1. Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina Tar Heels
    This defense is overflowing with freaks (Mel Kiper thinks so too), but it's Carter -- a three-year starter at OLB who has led the nation with five blocked kicks -- who merits top freak status this year. He's part of the country's fastest linebacking corps. Carter's workout numbers are every bit as impressive as his football stats. He has set UNC linebacker records in the power clear (374) and the vertical jump (40.5 inches). The 238-pounder has also been clocked at 4.39 in the 40 and bench-presses 440. Asked which of the testing numbers he's most proud of, Carter says it's his power clean, which is tied for tops on the team with DE Robert Quinn and Zach Pianalto. "It measures the explosiveness the most," said the former high school quarterback. Perhaps the biggest freak quality of all about Carter goes back to this: We got to talking about his eating habits when I interviewed him.

"How strict are you about diet?" I asked.

"Well, not very. I eat a lot of McDonald's and fast foods, but I do work out real hard."

"Like how much McDonald's?"

"Almost every day. I usually get three double cheeseburgers, medium fries, large tea and a six-piece McNuggets. I don't think eating healthy as far as eating salads and that stuff really works for me."

Apparently that McFeast does, though.

4. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

Why did you decide on UNC?

“The coaching staff is really good, I liked the players I met, [and] I just felt at home when I went there.”

You visited UNC earlier in the month. What role did that visit play in your decision?

“It played a big role – getting to see the athletic trainer, the facilities are great, [and] the equipment that they get. And meeting Coach [Butch] Davis had a big part. I just felt at home my whole time in Chapel Hill.”

Before that visit, how much were you considering UNC and how much did the visit initially change those feelings?

“When I went in there, they were probably like top ten. And then when I left, they were top five.”

When did you know UNC was the place for you?

“When I left [Chapel Hill].”

What role did Sam Pittman, your primary recruiter, play in your decision?

“He was a big part. He’s just showed me a lot of love – way more than everybody else. He treated me better. He treated me like a football player, but also as a person.”

What affect did James Hurst, who – like you – was a highly recruited offensive tackle from Indiana, have on your decision?

“[Him being from Indiana] helped a lot. I talked to him a lot, too. He pretty much recruited me, too.

“Mostly, we didn’t really talk about football the whole time. We just talked about how college is and how good it is to be a Tar Heel.”

When did you actually tell Pittman the news?

“This morning - at like 3 o’clock in the morning. I just wanted to wake the coach up and let him know who I was picking so he could have a good day.”

What did he say when you told him the news?

“He was really happy. He was really happy that he was going to be able to coach me. He said we have some big plans for me.”

What is the plan for you once you arrive on campus?

“He said I have a good chance of competing for a starting position.”

What position does Pittman project you at?

“Left tackle.

Why did you opt to make this decision now?

“I just wanted to go ahead [and] commit somewhere, so I can focus on my season. We want to win the state [championship] again, like we did last year.”

How firm is this commitment? Will you visit any other schools?

“I’ll probably visit one more school for an official – if [UNC] lets me. I don’t have a school in mind.”

Do you plan to help UNC recruit other prospects?

“I’m going to start by recruiting one of my teammates, Nick [Temple], to come there. I want to try to recruit, since I’m the No. 5 tackle in the nation – that should tell [other recruits] that they should come [to UNC].”

5. monstercat

Thanks Franchise. You gotta love what they're doing with this O-line. It's amazing how far that unit has come since TC last year when they were having to rob the D-line just so they could have one back up guard who had played in a college game before.

They are really setting things up nicely for when Bryn Renner takes over the offense.

6. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

hopefully that will be in the 2nd quarter vs. LSU

7. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

4* OT commits

Jamar Lewter contacted Scout.com just moments ago to let us know about his decision to commit to North Carolina.

“I just wanted to let you know I am committing to North Carolina,” said Lewter.

Lewter had multiple offers from schools around the country. Scout.com will have more details about Lewter’s decision to follow.

8. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

Huggins, a five-star running back from Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter’s Prep, narrowed his list to Florida, Georgia, Miami, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Stanford and Wisconsin.

"I am honored to announce a top 10 list of schools as I get ready to head into the fall season," Huggins said. "It is a great privilege to have so many top programs show interest in me and I appreciate the time and effort coaches have spent getting to know me and letting me get to know them."

While no time table for a decision has been set, Huggins has recently said that he will likely make a decision live at the Under Armour All-American Bowl in January.

He discussed each of his ten finalists ...

Florida – "I like the coaching staff and they know how to win. They’ve won national championships over the past couple of years and they’re changing the offense to a pro-style offense now that they have a quarterback to fit that style to go with a pro-style running back. Emmanuel Moody will be graduating this year as well, so there will be spots open for playing time."

Georgia – "Coach Richt is a very spiritual guy and Georgia is known for their running backs. I have a good relationship with the running backs coach and think the entire staff are good people. I’m still learning about them right now."

Miami – "They run the ball down there a lot and they’re “Running Back U”, so I like that a lot. They also have a lot of swag and I’ve known Coach Jeff Stoutland for a long time and we have a great relationship as well."

North Carolina – "I like Coach Davis and the rest of the coaches a lot and the program is really on the rise toward an ACC Championship right now. My family is also from around that area and that does play a role in it not only for me, but my parents as well."

Notre Dame – "The name speaks for itself and they have a very good coaching staff. I feel like Brian Kelly will turn them around right away and when Coach Charlie Molnar explained what my role would be at running back it answered a lot of questions I had and made me feel more comfortable with them."

Penn State – "Coach Dick Anderson and the Penn State staff are very old school, but they know how to get the job done."

Pittsburgh – "They have a very good coaching staff and I’m very comfortable with every single one of them. I have a good relationship with a lot of the players there and liked it a lot on my visit out there."

Rutgers – "I’ve know Coach Schiano since my freshman year, I know all of the rest of the coaches on the team and the players on the team are already like a family to me, so when I visit there it’s like being at home already. It’s also right in my own backyard."

Stanford – "Coach Shaw and Coach Harbaugh are great coaches and I think they’ve gotten to the point where they’re about to contend for that Pac Ten championship this year."

Wisconsin – "I know Coach Jackson and I relate to the staff well up there. They also run the ball a lot up there and I like that a lot, point blank. I liked my visit a lot up there too."

9. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

http://www.sportingnews.com/college...n-clock-sns-preseason-top-100?obref=obnetwork

There is one irrefutable fact about preseason rankings: It is easier to attack the rankings of other people than propose and defend your own. It that spirit, let’s take a look at the Sporting News Top 100. Here are their ACC Coastal Division rankings, along with my commentary.

1. Miami (4th nationally) – The Hurricanes sure are getting a lot of love this year, as Phil Steele also picks them to win the Coastal and ACC titles. I am not sure if this is just another way to trash the image of the ACC, because there is no way the ‘Canes finish 4th nationally. They lose too much on the offensive line (3 of 5 starters) and the defensive backfield (2 of 4) to improve on their 2009 record, and no matter how great they say their new and unproven running backs are, Javarris James is in the NFL and Graig Cooper is recovering from knee surgery. I like Jacory Harris, but he did throw 17 interceptions last year with Jason Fox protecting his blind side. Factor in their road schedule (at Ohio State, at Pittsburgh, at Clemson, at Georgia Tech, etc.), and finishing 4th nationally is a stretch.

2. Virginia Tech (12th nationally) – Isn’t this about where the Hokies always finish? The last five years they’ve ended the season ranked 10th, 15th, 9th, 19th, and 7th, one of the most remarkably consistent programs this decade. Virginia Tech can’t complain that they are being underestimated, at least not lately. The last time they finished higher than their preseason ranking came five years ago, when they finished 7th after a preseason 8th ranking by the Associated Press. The last two years the Hokies have finished three spots lower than their preseason ranking, indicating they are starting to become slightly overvalued as a program nationally.

3. Georgia Tech (18th nationally) – The defending ACC champions aren’t being picked to repeat by any preseason ranking I’ve seen to date. I think the Yellow Jackets are being a little undersold. Last year they won 11 games with one of the youngest teams in college football. They lost some big names in Demaryius Thomas, Jonathan Dwyer, Derrick Morgan, and Morgan Burnett, and combined with getting schooled in the Orange Bowl by Iowa, they ended up ranked lower than the Hokies, despite being the ACC champs. What prognosticators are overlooking is that they bring back a ton of starters and, overall, a much more experienced squad.

4. North Carolina (23rd nationally) – Preseason pubs and prognosticators seem uniformly afraid of UNC stock. They are willing to put their defensive units (Steele and Athlon) at the very top of the FBS Division, name players as the best in the ACC (ESPN Blogger, Robert Quinn No. 1 overall in the ACC), and otherwise heap praise and platitudes on the Tar Heels – they’re just not willing to go out on a limb on their overall record. The reason is no secret – despite having almost everyone back on offense, the jury is out on how much the Tar Heels can improve on their 108th total offense ranking.

5. Virginia (68th nationally) – There are plenty of folks willing to move the Cavaliers to last place in the Coastal (including Phil Steele), but I agree with the good folks at The Sporting News on this one – Virginia may be at their lowest point since George Welsh took over a pitiful and downtrodden Cavalier program in 1982, but they still have more left in the tank than Duke, even under David Cutcliffe. Defensively the Cavaliers have some players, including probably the best corner in the nation in Ras I-Dowling, and a decent defensive line anchored by Matt Conrath and Nick Jenkins. This team will take its lumps simply because it is so far down, but I suspect that they will win a game or two no one expect them to win – maybe one of those games won’t come on October 16th.

6. Duke (70th nationally) – It is not a sarcastic insult to say that Duke’s 70th ranking nationally is a credit to the admirable job being done in Durham by David Cutcliffe. Perennially this is one of the worst programs in the FBS Division, a program that celebrated an average attendance of 26,314 per home game in 2009. With senior quarterback Thaddeus Lewis gone, plus some of the biggest names the Blue Devils have ever signed on defense (literally and figuratively), in Vince Oghobaase and Ayanga Okpokowuruk, also lose leading tackler Vincent Rey, their best corner in Leon Wright and best safety in Catron Gainey, it will be surprising if Duke can improve on their 5-7 2009 record and fulfill Cutcliffe’s bowl quest. (It is a certain sign of the Apocalypse that TSN has Duke ranked one spot ahead of Michigan).

10. monstercat

Thanks for the info, Franchise. I just can't believe the O-line talent they are bringing in lately. I don't know how good UNC's offense will be this year, but they are definitely poised to improve significantly over the next couple of years. If Bryn Renner is as good as everybody thinks he is, the sky is the limit in 2011 and 2012.