1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The Tarheels

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by Wise One, Oct 5, 2008.

1. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

That's pretty cool.

2. monstercat

monstercat Full Access Member

I actually believe UNC has a decent shot at hanging with LSU, but we will see.

BTW, shouldn't NC State fans be worrying about NC State instead of hanging out in a UNC thread all the time?

BTW, I would love for one of these "genuine" Tar Heel fans to tell me how that spring game wasn't a success. It was a beautiful day, the crowd was actually bigger than most UNC fans predicted, everybody got so see for themselves what all the fuss was about with Bryn Renner, some back up defenders stepped up and made plays, which is a big deal when you consider how many defenders UNC is about to lose after this coming season, and the most important thing of all, nobody got hurt. What's not to like?

3. kickazzz2000

kickazzz2000 CURRENTLY ON THE CAN

The crowd impressed me, especially considering the poor crowds in the past.

I know the south part of the stadium was blocked off, but the north stands looked quite impressive on TV. Simply by the fact that there were nearly 30,000 fans in the seats, i'd consider that a success when compared to previous years. Especially in the eyes of recruits.

Renner looked good...still not sure if that will make a difference this summer...just going to have to see what Butch and co. end up doing.

Mywan Jackson and Herman Davidson looked good at corner...some evidence that there is, indeed, some defensive depth behind all the headliners.

Now if only the damn offensive line could get healthy....

4. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

they should. both defenses gave up a combined 904 yards.

on a sad note, all fans were asked to donate a $1 up entering Carter Friendly, for the Kay Yow Spring game, 25,372 showed up and only $19,996 was collected.

5. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

That kind of offensive output has monsterpuss shaking in his underoos.

6. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

http://www.newbernsj.com/sports/stock-86701-bodycopyrag-chapel.html

UNC's Carter a future NFL prospect

CHAPEL HILL — The sounds of “Bruuuuce” echo through Kenan Stadium every time UNC linebacker Bruce Carter makes a stop.

For one final season, the collective chant will be heard on the Chapel Hill campus.

After some deliberation with his teammates this winter, Carter decided to stick around for his senior year instead of taking his talents to the NFL.

With future draft prospects like linebacker Quan Studivant, defensive tackle Marvin Austin, along with defensive backs Kendric Burney, Deunta Williams, Da’Norris Searcy and Charles Brown also returning for their final season, the Tar Heels’ defense is expected to be at the top of the Atlantic Coast Conference in the upcoming season.

Standing in the middle is Carter, who garnered All-ACC second team honors as a junior.

“I think it was more of a group decision with all of the seniors and my family kind of played a role,” Carter said. “I think it was a great decision to come back and get my education and then go pro.”

Carter, a 2006 Havelock grad, is approaching his senior campaign with high hopes. He is listed as the starter at the “Sam” linebacker position. His speed and explosiveness has helped him become one of the top linebackers in the country.

ESPN college football analyst Joe Schad believes Carter could be a second-round selection in next year’s NFL draft and still has a chance to improve his stock with a strong 2010 season.

“I have four players from the North Carolina defense on my preseason top 100 college football players to watch, and Bruce was one of them,” Schad said. “He is a great pro prospect and he is a complete linebacker.”

Currently, the banter of his post-college career is just an afterthought. His main focus is helping lead the Tar Heels to a BCS game.

Carter was third on the team with 65 tackles last season. He also recorded two sacks and returned an interception 41 yards for a touchdown against Georgia Southern.

His role this season, Carter says, is to be a complete linebacker, whether it’s defending the pass, rushing the quarterback or stuffing the run.

“I’m just going to go out and keep working hard,” Carter said. “With next year coming around, whatever happens happens. My main focus is on this season coming up, preparing my body and do whatever I can to help the team.”

As UNC’s spring practices concluded with its annual Blue-White spring game Saturday, UNC coach Butch Davis said Carter has been determined to get better. Carter had two tackles in the spring game.

“I think he’s been very focused and be very serious this spring,” he said. “He really has started to recognize the importance of preparation because he has played enough in games. He tries to take them in game speed and game tempo because he knows it is making him better.”

Carter’s biggest desire is to bring UNC a leadership role. When New Bern grad Kevin Reddick took his official visit to Chapel Hill in 2007, Carter served as his host.

Now, the two Craven County natives are staples as linebackers in the Tar Heel defense.

“It’s been fun playing with Bruce,” Reddick said. “We joke around a lot together. He is like an older brother to me. He helps me out a lot. I use him to make me better.”

7. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...linas-giovanni-bernard-be-the-next-cj-spiller

Could North Carolina's Giovanni Bernard Be the Next C.J. Spiller?

It seems we as a college football nation love to pronounce a player the next something.

Everybody seems to be the next great big thing these days. We love using comparisons in order to put as much pressure as we can on young athletes. We have to make sure they how know great they have to be, right?

Joe McKnight was supposed to be the next Reggie Bush, Andre Debose is now supposed to be the next Percy Harvin, Jake Locker is the next Steve Young, and so and so on.

Well, I figured if everyone else gets to do it then I get to throw one out as well.

Giovanni Bernard = C.J. Spiller

Bernard, the superstar back from St. Thomas Aquinas, has committed to Butch Davis and the North Carolina Tar Heels. So could he follow in Spiller’s footsteps and turn out to be the next big playmaker in the ACC?

Only time will tell, but judging from the way Bernard runs, he’s got as good as shot as anybody.

There are some terrific running backs in the ACC this year, but none (not even Ryan Williams) can match Gio’s top trait.

His balance.

It’s a characteristic that every truly great running back possesses. Speed can get you far, but having top-notch balance can set you apart.

Spiller had it, Harvin had it, Bush had, and Bernard has it as well.

He does not have the raw speed of those kind of players but Gio’s never-go-down mentality and tackle-breaking ability allow him to bust off the same type of big runs.

His balance allows him to bounce runs and elude tacklers.

Which is something his brother Yvenson did a lot of at Oregon State a few years ago. The younger Bernard could actually be even better though. Don’t be surprised if Giovanni turns into a faster, stronger version of Yvenson.

Even though Giovanni was hurt most of his senior season with a hamstring injury, if you go back and watch him as a junior, you’ll see an elite running back prospect.

He rushed for 1,578 yards while scoring 18 touchdowns for an Aquinas team that went 15-0. Bernard was one of the main reasons the team finished ranked as the best in the nation. He was one of the most feared offensive weapons in the country.

It’s that tape that made him one of the most coveted prospects in this recruiting class. It’s why schools like Florida, Alabama, Miami, Notre Dame, and Tennessee all lined up for his services before he ultimately decided on the Irish.

That is, until Charlie Weis was fired. He followed that decision from Notre Dame with a decision of his own. He was switching from navy blue to Carolina blue and becoming a Tar Heel.

It might just turn out to be the best possible fit.

Bernard brings a fresh set of legs to the “thunder and lightning” backfield of Ryan Houston and Shaun Draughn.

At 5'9, with a body more thick and packed with strength than a normal 200 pounder, look for the young Florida back to bring a lot of value to the Tar Heels over the coming years.

Bernard doesn't come into college with many labels attached. He isn't considered a breakaway threat, home run hitter, or a power back. He is just an all-around tremdous talent that doesn't need embellished descriptions.

He looks to let his running speak for itself. At times those runs can look punishing and out of the ordinary, but they always seem to get the job done.

Giovanni Bernard may not be the human highlight reel that C.J. Spiller was, but don’t be surprised to see him making big game changing plays in the very near future.

8. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

Benard reminds me of DW.

9. Wise One

Wise One No Doubt

Houston and Draughn = Thunder and Lightning.

That's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

:omg:

10. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

agree