1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The Tarheels

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by Wise One, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Wise One

Wise One No Doubt

It looks like a Tampa Bay Buc reject

:ack2:

2. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

3. monstercat

monstercat Full Access Member

And that's the only thing that really matters. This is just one more way to put the UNC brand out there and get that attention of those big time recruits. BD knows exactly what he's doing.

FWIW, I like it too.

4. Elric

Elric Citizen of the Empire

I hope it's a one shot deal. That's fugly...

5. karlrocket

karlrocket Full Access Member

6. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

“I committed [Sunday],” Thorpe said. “It was one of those things where I talked to the coaches Friday and let them know my thoughts. [Sunday] I just wanted to pull the trigger on it.”

Thorpe, a 5-foot-11, 165-pound athlete from Durham (N.C.) Jordan, selected UNC over scholarships from Duke, East Carolina, Georgia Tech, NC State, South Carolina, and Wake Forest.

“For me, it was one of those things where I just had to really go with my gut,” Thorpe said. “I know all the schools that offered me were really good academically, which was most important for my family and I. But what separated [UNC] for me was just the feeling I had when I went over there. I had [a feeling] with other schools, but it wasn’t as strong [with UNC] and it wasn’t ‘Okay, this is where I see myself – this is it right here.’ The more and more I talked to the coaches the more I was like ‘Okay, this is it. I can feel it.’”

During Friday’s visit, Thorpe spent time with UNC’s coaches and players. He describes the stay as a “relaxed day” that included a lot of conversation and some film watching.

“Mostly we just talked about how I was going to go through with [committing] and just how I was feeling,” Thorpe said.

UNC coaches’ have made it clear that they are recruiting Thorpe as a wide receiver and will give him a chance to contribute as a returner. During Friday’s visit, they went in-depth about their plans for him.

“Basically, they spelled it out for me,” Thorpe said. “Greg Little, he’s graduating after this year – he’s also from Durham. They want me to help fill his shoes.

“I was told, they see me as a Brandon Tate type player. [They want me to] go inside, go outside, catch the short route and turn it into something long, kickoff returns, punt returns, rushing – everything.

“That’s what I want to do. That’s what I’m looking for. I haven’t found an offense that put me in space like that. It should be such an easy transition from high school, because it's stuff I’ve already been doing. So all it is, is just building on it and perfecting it.”

Before Friday’s visit, Thorpe was considering visiting a couple of other schools. He now doesn’t plan on visiting any schools, outside of UNC. He will regularly drop by Chapel Hill and figures to camp there this summer.

Thorpe plans to help UNC with its recruiting efforts, including talking to his close friend, fellow Durham native, and UNC target Vad Lee.

7. monstercat

monstercat Full Access Member

Thanks for posting this. And FTR, Rivals has him at about 6' 180 something and running a 4.4 40. I never really know who to trust when it comes to these measurables, but there it is.

8. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-assistant-coaches-in-college-football#page/6

Withers had a rather unimpressive debut as defensive coordinator in 2007. His Minnesota Gophers team gave up a mind-boggling 440 points to the opposition and finished dead last in the country. Even still, Butch Davis saw fit to give the Carolina native a shot on his team as the DC—the gamble has paid off.

In just two seasons at the helm, Withers has improved the Tarheel defense from No. 66 in 2008 to No. 6 in 2009. Playing in the ultra-competitive ACC, where the Tarheels name is more synonymous with basketball than football, Withers has managed to make the defense one that is well-respected throughout the conference.

Wins over both Miami and Virginia Tech in 2009 showcased his talents well. His name is definitely on the rise and, if his good works continue, it won’t be long before his name begins to draw attention as a head coach.

9. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I like Withers, but thinks he gets too much credit.

10. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

I agree. We will see how he is 2 years from now