1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The Tarheels

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by Wise One, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

James Hurst
    OL | 6-6 / 290
    Plainfield (Ind.) HS
    Scouting Report: Hurst has good footwork and keeps his feet when engaged. He is a dominant run blocker who drives his man off the ball. He could play with better knee bend, but has good quickness and above average athleticism. He does not have many weaknesses, he just needs to continue to refine technique and get stronger. -- Scout.com
    Watch Video
    Bio: Considered the No. 3 offensive tackle in the nation by Scout.com and by ESPN recruiting analyst Tom Lemming • Was the overall MVP at the U.S. Army Junior National Combine • Competed in the Under Armour All-American Game and was named the game's most outstanding offensive lineman by Scout.com • Rated Indiana's No. 1 player by Scout.com • Younger brother of Nelson Hurst, a tight end for the Tar Heels • Graded out at 98 percent as a senior at Plainfield High School • Coached by Brian Woodard • Earned first-team all-conference, all-area and all-state honors as a junior and senior • Earned area player of the year honors as a senior • Also saw some playing time on the defensive line • Played all four years on varsity • Helped team advance to the third round of the state playoffs all four seasons • Son of Tim and Susan Hurst • Born Dec. 17, 1991.

2. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

T.J. Leifheit
    OL | 6-7 / 300
    Wilmington (N.C.) Hoggard
    Scouting Report: A plodding and powerful lineman at the point of contact, Leifheit loves to use that strength as often as possible. He's best when head up on a defensive lineman or downblocking; he's not yet best when trapping and pulling, as he has some trouble with stunts when he has to change direction. -- Scout.com
    Watch Video
    Bio: SuperPrep All-America • Considered the No. 10 offensive tackle in the country by ESPN recruiting analyst Tom Lemming • Ranked the No. 4 player in North Carolina and the No. 23 offensive tackle in the country by Scout.com • Nominated for the Offense-Defense All-America Game • Ranked the No. 4 prospect in North Carolina by The Charlotte Observer • Helped lead Hoggard to the state playoffs all four seasons, including the state title as a sophomore • Three-time all-area selection • Coached by Scott Braswell • Member of North Carolina's Shrine Bowl Team • Played final three years at Hoggard and freshman season at Topsail High School • Named all-state, all-region and all-conference as a senior • Was all-region and all-conference performer as a junior • Son of Terry Leifheit and Alicia Williams • Born April 2, 1991.

3. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

Brandon Willis
    DT | 6-3 / 255
    Duncan (S.C.) Byrnes
    Scouting Report: Willis has a lower center of gravity and can grow into a college defensive tackle. He displays excellent hand quickness, which allows him to gain inside position and establish leverage. Moves feet well and can re-establish the line of scrimmage, and has a good motor. -- Burke Hayes, Scout.com
    Watch Video
    Bio: Enrolled at Carolina in January, 2010 • Considered the No. 4 player in South Carolina by The Charlotte Observer Ranked the No. 8 defensive tackle in the country by Scout.com Rated the No. 5 defensive tackle by ESPN recruiting analyst Tom Lemming • Played in the prestigious U.S. Army All-America game in San Antonio • Earned first-team all-state, all-region and all-conference honors his final two seasons in high school • Named the conference defensive lineman of the year as a senior • Made 127 tackles, including 13 sacks, as a senior • Had 144 tackles, including 24 tackles for loss and 13 sacks, as a junior • Coached by Chris Miller • Son of Gary and Wanda Willis • Born Aug. 5, 1991.

4. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

Tre Boston
    DB | 6-1 / 185
    North Fort Myers (Fla.) HS
    Scouting Report: Boston has been extremely productive on both sides of the ball in high school. He has terrific hands and is just a natural play-maker who produces. He has the size to play WR, CB, or S in college. He has better speed than appears on film and has proven to be a tough, durable player. - Geoff Vogt, Scout.com
    Watch Video
    Bio: Ranked the No. 8 athlete in Florida by the Orlando Sun-SentinelRanked the No. 37 player in Florida by Scout.com • Posted 41 tackles with 16 solo stops and four interceptions as a junior • Also caught 43 passes for 736 yards and five touchdowns • Named first-team all-area at defensive back his final two seasons • Ranked among the top 100 players in the country at his position by Rivals.com • Was named MVP of the John Carrigan Rotary South All-Star Classic in Ft. Myers in December, 2009 • Scored 17 touchdowns as a senior, including 11 rushing, five receiving and one on defense • Led his team with 103 carries for 841 yards, an average of 93.4 yards per game • Also had 24 receptions for 364 yards • Picked off six passes for 119 yards and recovered one fumble • Coached by Barry Goettemoeller • Son of Iris Mota • Full name is Jayestin Tre'von Boston • Born June 25, 1992.

5. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

Nick Appel
    OL | 6-6 / 310
    Arlington (Va.) O’Connell
    Scouting Report: For his massive size, Appel is a very fluid athlete. He’s raw, but is potentially versatile enough to play any position along the offensive line. He has experience pulling and blocking moving targets. He blocks with excellent leverage and consistently drives his feet upon contact. – Don Callahan, InsideCarolina.com
    Watch Video
    Bio: Two-way starter on the offensive and defensive lines as a senior • Named a Top 60 player by DCSportsFan.com • Started three years at offensive line and two on the defensive line • Played several different positions along the defensive line • Started at right tackle and was named second-team all-conference as a junior and senior • Ranked among the top 50 players in Virginia by The Roanoke Times • Earned All-Arlington County honors as a junior and senior • Coached by Steve Trimble • Competes in the shot put for the track and field team • Son of Susan Appel and Reginald Bouknight • Born Jan. 21, 1992.

“I’m excited to sign the papers and finally be a Tar Heel,” Appel said. “I’m excited about getting down there this summer and see what it’s all about.”

Upon receiving a scholarship offer from UNC in mid-August, Appel, a 6-foot-6, 300-pound offensive lineman from Arlington (Va.) O’Connell, verbally committed to the Tar Heels.

“It has been a relaxing time knowing where I was going,” Appel said. “I made my decision pretty quickly, because I thought it couldn’t get any better than UNC.”

UNC has put together a solid offensive line recruiting class. Aside from Appel, the class includes All-American James Hurst (five stars), T.J. Leifheit (four stars), and Russell Bodine (three stars). With a two-star ranking, Appel is often the forgotten piece.

“I know I’m under the radar, but I’ve always put my best foot forward and worked hard,” Appel said. “I can’t make any promise as far as what I can do and what can’t do. But I’m going to try my best and work hard in the weight room. I’ve been told by coaches as long as I keep doing that I’ll be fine.”

As a senior, Appel started at right tackle in O’Connell’s double-wing, run-heavy offense. He played left tackle during his junior season.

Coming into his UNC career, Appel isn’t exactly sure where he’ll play.

“[Offensive line coach Sam Pittman] said to me he was going to try to get me on the field as quickly as possible – whatever position on the line that is, whether it’s center, guard, tackle,” Appel said. “It’s probably going to be guard or tackle.”

For the spring months, Appel said he is debating between focusing on the weight room and participating in the shot put for O’Connell.

6. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

Jabari Price
    CB | 5-11 / 171
    Pompano Beach (Fla.) Ely
    Scouting Report: Price is a pure CB that has the height, instincts, and speed to excel at the BCS level. He can elevate and make plays on the ball. Physically he needs to get stronger, when that happens he should develop into more of a force closer to the line of scrimmage. Ely has a rich tradition of quality DBs and Price fits right into that mold. - Geoff Vogt, Scout.com
    Watch Video
    Bio: Named an All-American Scholar by the United States Achievement Academy • Played in Florida's annual Dade vs. Broward County high school all-star game in January • Rated the No. 83 cornerback in the country by Rivals.com Opponents only threw his way 23 times all season and he made five interceptions and broke up 12 passes • Played cornerback and free safety • Finished his senior season with 39 tackles and five forced fumbles • First-team selection on the Sun-Sentinel Class 6A-5A-4A All-County team as a senior • Named All-Broward county as a senior • Helped lead Ely to an 11-2 record and the state 5A regionals, where they nearly pulled off an upset of St. Thomas Aquinas, the nation's No. 1 team • Coached by Rodney Gray • Son of Portia Williams and Lalanda Price • Born Aug. 31, 1992.

“What’s going through my head is I’ll be going to a school that is best for me and my family,” Price said. “I’m confident in my decision and look forward to the future.”

In early November, Price switched his verbal commitment to UNC from Minnesota. The 5-foot-11, 171-pound cornerback from Pompano Beach (Fla.) Ely committed to the Golden Gophers a month prior after officially visiting Minnesota and Purdue. As a Minnesota commitment, Price officially visited UNC.

“[UNC] has the perfect balance of academics and football,” Price said. “Most schools have football with no academics or academics with no football. It’s basically an advantage for North Carolina over other schools.”

Despite his commitment to UNC, during the recruiting process Price listened to other schools pitches and even scheduled an official visit to Kansas.

“I just was thinking about taking a visit,” Price said. “I didn’t take the visit. I just wanted to make sure that North Carolina was the best thing for me. I just wanted to check it out.”

Shortly after scheduling the visit, Price canceled

“[I called off the visit because I would be] putting in jeopardy the [UNC] scholarship,” Price said.

Troy Douglas, UNC’s defensive backs coach, and Everett Withers, UNC’s defensive coordinator, are Price’s main contacts at UNC. Price says he that he speaks to them once or twice a week.

“They just touch base with me,” Price said. “I’ve been a commitment for a while. They keep me updated on things going on at UNC and the plan for when I get there.”

The plan is to provide Price a chance to compete for playing time immediately. If he doesn’t get on the field as a freshman, graduation will create plenty of opportunity for his sophomore season.

7. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

Giovanni Bernard
    RB | 5-9 / 192
    Ft. Lauderdale (Fla.) Aquinas
    Scouting Report: Bernard runs with great balance and he can break tackles, run through tackles, or make guys miss. He runs with a low center of gravity and is hard to bring down. He is not a burner, but is fast enough to get to the edge and to take it to the house. He is more of a power back first and looks for the opportune time to bounce it outside. - Chad Simmons, Scout.com
    Watch Video
    Bio: Ranked the No. 2 running back in Florida by the Orlando Sun-Sentinel • Ranked the No. 12 running back in the country Rivals.com and is the nation's No. 13 back according to Scout.com • Considered the No. 16 running back by ESPN.com • Member of the Rivals250 and Scout300 • Selected as the No. 13 player in Florida by the Orlando Sentinel • Ranked the No. 26 player in Florida by Rivals.comConsidered the No. 36 player in Florida by Scout.com • Helped guide St. Thomas Aquinas to consecutive 5A state titles as a sophomore and junior • As a senior, St. Thomas was 13-1 and finished No. 13 in USA Today's Final Super Top 25 • Ran for 1,528 yards and 18 touchdowns on 160 carries as a junior • Coached by George Smith • Older brother, Yvenson, was an all-conference tailback at Oregon State and is currently in the CFL • Son of Yvens Bernard • Full name is Giovanni Govan Bernard • Born Nov. 22, 1991

8. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

Brendon Felder
    WR | 5-10 / 175
    Monroeville (Pa.) Gateway
    Scouting Report: Felder is elusive in the open field and runs tremendous routes. He is one of the top deep threats that we have seen in this region. He played against very good competition. He excelled on special teams as a returner and can also play running back and defensive back as well. -- Bob Lichtenfels, Scout.com
    Watch Video
    Bio: Played his senior season for Gateway, where he helped lead the team to a 12-1 record as a senior, including a berth in the WPIAL Quad A championship game • Lined up at several different positions throughout the season, including wide receiver, kick returner, tailback and quarterback in wildcat formations • Accumulated more than 1,600 all-purpose yards and 20 touchdowns as a senior, including three punt returns for touchdowns and two kickoff returns for touchdowns • Named to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette's Fabulous 22 team • Also saw time as a defensive back • Played basketball and ran track • Attended Danvers (Mass.) St. John's Prep before moving to Monroeville for his senior season • Played in the Max Emfinger All-American Bowl Game Classic in Austin in January • Coached by Terry Smith at Gateway • Son of Aaron Felder and Wanda Laws-Felder • Born Dec. 29, 1991.

“I’m going to stop getting texts and calls from all these [outside] coaches and I sealed the deal,” Felder said. “I’m just going to get my mind ready for the career that is coming towards me – like the lifting schedule, the playbook, everything like that – and get on board and ready to try to participate my freshmen year.”

During a September official visit, Felder, a 5-foot-10, 162-pound athlete from Monroeville (Pa.) Gateway, verbally committed to UNC.

“[Separating UNC] was definitely the coaching staff [and] definitely the overall chemistry of the program,” Felder said. “I just see myself for four years being there. [I admire] the way they come together and the love they showed me when I was down there.”

Despite his pledge, schools like Boston College occasionally checked on Felder’s commitment status, while Notre Dame attempted to make a late push.

“I heard a couple things from Notre Dame,” Felder said. “Brian Kelly went over there from Cincinnati and I was real close with him.”

Regardless, Felder never wavered.

“I’ve been solid with North Carolina throughout the whole process,” Felder said. “I just have that relationship with them and no one can ever change that… A lot of schools have contacted Coach Terry [Smith], but he’s been helping me out with [informing them I’m firm].”

UNC is recruiting Felder as a wide receiver. However, from day one he’ll compete for return duties.

“[Allen Mogridge] came up [to visit] and said they definitely need someone to come in and be that special teams guy and spark them in that area,” Felder said. “North Carolina was solid on offense and defense, but they need someone to spark them on special teams. They need that quick guy that can score from 40 [yards] out.”

Charlie Williams, UNC’s wide receivers coach, is recruiting Felder for UNC.

This spring, Felder plans to run track for Gateway and participate in the 100-meter dash and the 4x100 relay.

9. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

Russell Bodine
    OL | 6-4 / 290
    Fork Union (Va.) Military
    Scouting Report: Bodine has great footwork and is a natural center prospect. He reaches down his gap well, shows the ability to trap off the snap easily, and knows how to finish blocks. He's real good awareness of the second level, surprisingly adept at pulling, and pretty strong at the point of attack. - Miller Safrit, Scout.com
    Watch Video
    Bio: Rated the No. 8 center in the country by ESPN.com • Started at both offensive guard and defensive tackle as a senior • Had 42 tackles and three sacks on defense • Ranked the No. 15 player in Virginia by The Roanoke Times and SuperPrep • Named first-team all-state at the highest of three private school divisions for two straight seasons • Team advanced to the state playoffs as a senior and finished with a 7-4 mark • Played center as a sophomore and junior • Coached by Micky Sullivan • Son of Gail and Brian Bodine • His father, Brian, is a teacher at Fork Union • Born June 30, 1992.

“It’s obviously a big deal making everything official,” Bodine said. “But as far as I was concerned, it’s been official since June when I committed.”

Bodine, a 6-foot-4, 278-pound offensive lineman from Fork Union (Va.) Military Academy, committed to UNC during an unofficial visit eight months ago, selecting the Tar Heels over scholarship offers from Boston College, California, Duke, Northwestern, Rutgers, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest.

“Honestly, I was just ready for the whole recruiting process to be over,” Bodine said. “… I never felt anything was going to change my mind about North Carolina. It’s a well rounded school – an up-and-coming football program, great academics, and a beautiful campus.”

After committing, outside schools ceased recruiting Bodine – as he had hoped. The one exception was Tennessee, which called Bodine a few times before Lane Kiffin bolted for Southern Cal.

The quality that attracted UNC the most to Bodine was his extensive snapping experience. He started both his sophomore and junior seasons at center for FUMA. However, he was moved to guard for his senior season.

“They’re going to lose at least one center [to graduation],” Bodine said. “So they’re looking at me to play early. Now how early, from what they’re saying depends a lot on me and how ready I am to come in and play. But they’re certainly looking for someone to come in and contribute.”

With his football season over, Bodine’s focus is on FUMA’s track team. He’s currently participating in the shot put and anticipates partaking in both the shot put and discus during the spring. His personal best put is 52 feet.

10. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

P.J. Clyburn
    LB | 6-2 / 215
    Statesville (N.C.) West Iredell
    Scouting Report: With Clyburn's size and athletic ability he could be a hybrid linebacker/safety in college. Excellent change of direction, great hips in pass coverage, and very aware of the ball in both pass and run situations. Willing to come into the box and explodes into the ball carrier. Needs to get more reps near the line of scrimmage. - Miller Safrit, Scout.com
    Watch Video
    Bio: Ranked the No. 37 safety in the country and the No. 16 player in the state by Rivals.com • Rated the No. 82 outside linebacker in the country according to Scout.com • Rated among the top 25 players in North Carolina by Rivals.com and Scout.com • Member of the All-Charlotte Observer first team as a kick returner • Ranked the No. 16 prospect in North Carolina by The Charlotte Observer • Considered the No. 18 athlete in the country by ESPN recruiting analyst Tom Lemming • Had 65 tackles and an interception as a senior • Also averaged 40 yards per return on 14 chances with four going for scores • Coached by Mark Weycker • Son of Montobia Gray and Patrick Clyburn • Born March 19, 1991.

“It feels great [to sign with UNC],” Clyburn said. “It’s been my dream school so it feels great.”

Clyburn, a 6-foot-1, 202-pound athlete from Statesville (N.C.) West Iredell, had some academic question marks, which prevented UNC from offering him a scholarship until late November.

“It was kind of frustrating, because I had been talking to them for a long time and they couldn’t offer me because of my academics,” Clyburn said.

Roughly ten days after receiving the UNC offer, Clyburn verbally committed to Butch Davis during an in-home visit.

"Like I said, it’s my dream school," Clyburn said. "I love the atmosphere, I love the relationship I’ve built with Coach ‘Mo’ [Allen Mogridge], and I fit in well [there]."

UNC is recruiting Clyburn as a linebacker. He played wide receiver and safety in high school and also returned kickoffs.

The NCAA Clearinghouse requires three approved math courses. But the UNC system requires four math courses for enrollment.

Clyburn, who is short a math course, said he is currently taking the missing class online.

Following his senior football season, Clyburn had surgery to repair a torn meniscus. He says he’s now back to 100 percent and the injury isn’t something he’ll have to worry about in the future.

“I didn’t even have to go to rehab,” Clyburn said. “They said I had so much muscle in my leg that I didn’t have to go.”

Because of the surgery, Clyburn didn’t participate in a sport during the winter season. He will run track in the spring, participating in the 100- and 200-meter dashes, and 4x100 and 4x200 relays.