1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The Tarheels

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by Wise One, Oct 5, 2008.

1. LClefty04

LClefty04 Full Access Member

You think UNC football has some type of national recognition? There are only a few teams in the country with national recognition, and UNC is not one of them. I will give you basketball but nowhere close in football.

USoCal, Texas, Miami, FSU, Florida are some of the teams with national recognition.

2. monstercat

monstercat Full Access Member

What a surprise...you missed the point.

3. monstercat

Well, according to most state fans, UNC gets all the hype, and always has. I never understood that sentiment either, to be honest with you. Things can change when you hire the right coach though. There was a time when FSU was debating whether to drop the football program or not, but look at them now.

4. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

Gray Set to Announce

He’ll choose from among Mississippi State, North Carolina, and Tennessee on Wednesday at 1 p.m.

“Those are three good schools that have shown me a lot of interest,” Gray said.

Of his finalists, Gray has only officially visited UNC. The 6-foot-3, 295-pound defensive tackle has, though, made unofficial visits to Mississippi State and Tennessee.

Gray took his UNC official this past weekend. Accompanied by his mother, he arrived in Chapel Hill on Friday afternoon and the exited early Sunday morning.

“It went pretty good,” Gray said.

Marvin Austin served as Gray’s player host for the weekend.

One of the main objectives of the visit was to discover whether UNC would offer Gray a scholarship or not.

“They offered me as soon as I got down there,” Gray said. “They said I have a lot of talent.”

With the offer now in hand, Gray hinted that he’s leaning in UNC’s direction.

“It’s a possibility that UNC is my favorite,” Gray said with a laugh. “[At UNC] I like the coaches and it’s a nice atmosphere.”

Additionally, Gray has developed a strong relationship in a short period of time with John Blake, UNC’s defensive line coach.

“He’s a great coach,” Gray said. “He’s one of the best defensive coaches – I put him in the category with [Nick] Saban.”

During the visit, Gray sat down with Blake.

“He talked to me about the school,” Gray said. “He thinks I’ll see some [early] playing time. I just need to get my technique down.”

Gray also received an opportunity to speak one-on-one with Butch Davis.

“He talked about academics because he’s strong on academics,” Gray said.

5. LClefty04

What does FSU dropping their football program have to do with this conversation? Paul Johnson was the right coach.

6. TheGame08

TheGame08 Full Access Member

It's also very likely that if it wasn't for the University of Buffalo that the top safety in the country would be committed to UNC. Weird situation.

7. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

I never read one of your posts anticipating a point.

8. monstercat

I thought the point was obvious. FSU football was nothing until they hired the Bobby Bowden. UNC football was horrible before Butch Davis showed up. This is a very simple concept.

9. monstercat

I just don't understand that situation at all. Why are they so mad about losing a TE's coach to UNC, when the guy was a UNC alum? That seems awfully petty to me. I could understand it if the two schools were in the same conference, but they're not.

10. LClefty04

Butch having a couple winning seasons at UNC is nothing compared to what Bobby did at FSU.