1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The Phillies

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by PantherPaul, Feb 8, 2009.

1. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Just great
    ESPN SC MLB - Phillies swept by Braves, enter break at 37-50; 5-time defending NL East champs lost 60 all of 2011

2. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

I heard the tv guys say that Victorino was a late gameday scratch because he was unhappy being put in the 7 spot and complained to Manuel about it.:dunce2:

3. PantherPaul

More Update on a potential Hamels trade. Says Hamels wouldn't mind a short term trade and would welcome coming back to Phillies after the year. Sounds like he wants to test the market no matter where he is pitching in September. Sounds like if he's traded the team had better be ready for him to "potentially" leave. I say throw the Cain contract at him NOW and see if he signs. Texas seems to be a favorite and they have a great 3rd base prospect in Michael Olt as a starting point

Also From Insider
    Left-hander Cole Hamels and the Philadelphia Phillies do not figure to get a new contract done by the trade deadline, fueling speculation that the club will try to trade him to a contending team within the next few weeks. Hamels spiced things up Sunday, telling Leslie Gudel of CSNPhilly.com that he's open to re-signing with the Phillies after the season, even if they trade him this summer.

This could be the best route of all for the Phillies, who hit the break out of the races in the National League East and for the two wildcard spots. Trading Hamels and then bringing him back over the winter nets the Phillies the player they'd like to keep, plus the trade haul they'd get in return, not that a long-term contract is a slam dunk.

The Los Angeles Dodgers figure to be major players for Hamels in free agency, and could be the highest bidder by a wide margin, especially with the Phillies lacking payroll flexibility.

Other clubs that could look to trade for Hamels include the Texas Rangers, Detroit Tigers, New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, and the St. Louis Cardinals, Washington Nationals, Los Angeles Angels and Cincinnati Reds shouldn't be ignored, either.

4. Collin

Collin soap and water

They should trade him to the Rangers for Mike Olt and maybe some low level minor leaguers. Olt is blocked in Texas and is more or less a major league ready third baseman.

5. PantherPaul

I seriously doubt a team would give up multiple players without a signed contract for Hamels for more years. But if he is intent on testing the waters AND Texas will let a player who doesn't have a major league position open just maybe they would make the trade. I would put a contract in Hamels hands as he walks out the door with a mutually agreed upon figure. From what I've read Hamel's loves Philadelphia and has done a lot of charitable work there and would give the Phillies a strong chance to resign him. Who knows. Polanco's contract is up as is Blanton's I believe so move Victorino for some OF or middle relief prospects and only if they have to trade Hamels. No one outside Papelbon is safe in the pen

6. PantherPaul

wow, so this is what winning a series feels like :dunce2:

7. PantherPaul

8. PantherPaul

Well Hamels signed his deal. 144 million over 6 years. Second only to CC Sabathia's deal in 2008 at 162 mil? If Hamels is worth 144 mil Verlander ought to get CC money if not more. Oh well glad that's done albeit overpaid

9. PantherPaul

10. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

I hope he has better luck against the Nationals than he did against the Braves.