1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The Bronze Issue

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by rake, Aug 24, 2004.

1. rake

rake Need one of these

It’s probably going to be a good long time before the bronze version of Mills has company. A sentimental favorite might be buddy Mark Fields if he has another sparkling year this year. There is of course “that little cancer thing” that the two of them have in common. It might be fitting to have 51 and 58 side by side, but then does it become a cancer shrine and constant reminder of a hideous disease that is arguably too lucrative to the world of medicine to find a cure for? Aside from the cancer factor Fields would probably be grouped along with several others who just had a couple of big years here (and only with close to a repeat of his 2002 performance). Are relatively “short-term” guys like Beuerlein, Lathon, Greene and Barrow (just off the top of my head) really statue worthy? If so there is eventually going to be a shortage of bronze and some two year wonder in a parking space. I know that Mills didn’t play that long here either but his case obviously stands as an exception. There are a lot of great components that make up Sam Mills and only one of them happens to be the tenacious undersized linebacker that wore #51.
    That brings up the point, is it a popularity contest? It wouldn’t be a crime IMO if that was a big part of it. If Wesley Walls was as popular as Sam Mills would he already have a statue? Walls was particularly consistent for the 7 years that he was here and if he isn’t statue worthy for his contributions as a player then no one is. WW had a reputation as a whiner and complainer though and he wasn’t nearly as popular as guys like Mills, Minter and Kasay.
    John Kasay has been mentioned for consideration before. Aside from one lousy super bowl kick off his career has probably been about as Canton worthy as most top kickers today (not that any of them will be inducted). However, wouldn’t some see it as a knock to a teams history to have one of the few statues standing guard at their stadium be a kicker? Jan Stenerud is the only kicker in the HOF and it has been argued that lil’ ol’ kickers aren’t worthy of the Hall (QB Blanda PK’d too but he was forgiven for it). Anyway, to my knowledge there is no statue of the ski-jumping Norseman gracing Arrowhead.
    Kasay has been a very important fixture since the beginning and brings up the question, should longevity be an important factor? Tenured contributors like Muhammad, Rucker and Minter have been around a good long while too. Let’s face it, the knock for packin heat and weed is probably enough to keep Moose out of bronze no matter how many records he might break in future super bowls. Richardson has made it crystal clear that his part of the bible belt will have a nice shinny buckle. The last three years have probably put Mike Rucker in the running. If he manages the double-digit sacks that he is expected to have over the next couple of years I’m sure he will get some consideration. Mike Minter seems to me to be the most likely candidate. He’s a popular team leader, well thought of in the community, and he remains a vital cog to the machine on the field. If any other Panther is bronzed Mike Minter seems to be the current frontrunner.
    There are a batch of future possibilities who appeared on the scene or emerged with a blinding flash last year like Jake and Smitty who if they keep it up will definitely be in serious contention one day. Unless Stephen Davis is drinking from the same fountain as RBs (like Marcus Allen) who played effectively well into those golden 30s he might not be around long enough for statue time. Then there’s Morgan, Manning JR, Jenkins, Peppers, and Gross in the “not very sexy” OL category. Speaking of which, Jeff Mitchell should get huge props but having the statue of a center is even less sexy than having one of a tackle.
    I think it would be wise to save the whole statue thing for only the most all-round extraordinary men like Sam who have shown greatness above and beyond simply playing the game. Part of Sam’s inscription reads “gentlemen” and many of the NFL greats (even in the Hall) are not worthy of that title. Maybe instead of statues we should be considering something similar to “the ring” in Texas Stadium, or banners of honor, or something less weighty than a statue to honor more great contributors on the field who are “less weighty” than Sam in other aspects.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  2. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Vinny Ciurciu, Chris Slade, Lamont Green, Kinnon Tatum, Jamal Fountaine, or Duane Bickett??

3. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

Kasay, Minter and Rucker are all ok in my book, Kasay should retire as an original Panther and that has to count for something when you look back at the history. and his stats won't hurt the effort.

4. The Brain

I speak of this #50 we are to honor

5. rake

rake Need one of these

:shakehead

Yeah, I've screwed up the mans # before and I'll probably do it again. I'll get over it, can you? I gotta hand it to you Brain - you are nothing if not consistent with the nit-picky smart-ass corrections of the trivial. Can you get beyond some of that long enough to add instead of subtract? Or, don't you have anything thats actually substantial to add much of the time? It's gettin old.

6. The Brain

Nice attempt to try to be a smart ass to me. It was only my way of pointing it out. Then again I'd hae thought most people would notice that every damn one of our players had a shirt that said 51 58, and most of the fans in the stands as well, and instead of taking their major fuck ups in stride they try to make others look nit-picky. Should I apologize for your foolishness. I've gotta deal with my own enough so I'll pass on yours.

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Full Access Member

Wesley Walls.

8. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Fuck statues.

I will defile it with feces.

9. rake

rake Need one of these

pm coming

10. GoPanthers

GoPanthers Full Access Member

Gotta be Kasey, shouldnt matter that he is a kicker, he still plays on the team and has been one of the most influential players on the team, and the leading scorer all time :applause: :applause: :applause: