1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Steve Beuerlein a Panther again??

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by The Brain, Jul 9, 2004.

1. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

It's a good way to build the history of a team. Steve B almost singlehandedly led us to two postseasons with nothing on the O-Line and even less on defense. I love Steve B and would welcome him back, in another role other than a player.

Besides, it would piss off our friends in J-Ville. They took our coach, we took their qb and turned him into a statue (I don't think he's statue worthy, but he's as close as any offensive player not named Kasay).

2. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

What I would like to see is Bline back as our number three QB. We could move Weinkie up to the #2 spot and dump Peete. That way we save some cap space by replacing Peete with Bline at the minimum. Bline had a lot more success in his career and would probably be more helpful to Jake and Chris. He seemed to help Plummer come along last year. If worse comes to worse and we had to play him I would rather have Bline in there than Peete.

Bline woudl retire after this season and we would draft a young guy to groom for the future to be our number three. I was actually hoping we would spend a late rounder on a QB this year to take Peete's place.

Why in the world is Peete still higher on the dept chart than Weinkie?

3. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

Just speculating, but I am thinking Rod Rutherford might be the #3. Either Weinke or Peete is gone. Hell, dump them both and sign Beuerlein.

4. Piper

Piper phishin member

I'm less sure of that. Rutherford may be more of a pratice squad type initially.

5. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I would love a depth chart of

1. Jake
    2. Weinkie
    3. Bline

It would:

1. help build a team history and reward Bline for his efforts here in the past
    2. provide a better teach for Jake and Weinkie that Peete
    3. provide a better player on the field in the event we have to use our #3 guy

6. buck nasty

buck nasty Full Access Member

i watched him play last year and he didn't look very good. looked like he couldn't quite get the ball where he wanted.

7. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

I thought he was going to sign with CBS ?

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Agree. Especially with the 7 man roster now. I think pretty much everyone will keep a QB.

If he really comes lights out with some decent stuff, he could hang at 3 this year, but honestly I don't know if he will bring the A game right up front and they're damn sure not getting rid of Peete.

I do think that it's finally the right atmosphere to start developing a QB. Over the years, we've either immediately put a young player in a position of too much responsibility or had no other choice but to play him, making the best work of limited time worthless. Hell, even Fasani could've developed into a decent QB given 3-4 years of sitting, but the first second he didn't suck half the fans called to start him (were he accurate, or able to stay in the pocket, I might've agreed to a point).

9. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

It makes the most sense to have Jake as our starter and have a young guy to groom as our QB of the future. Jake probably has a good five years left but it takes a few years to get a young guy ready. I guess we have a year or two before it has to become a priority but it needs to happen fairly soon.

Beyond that we need a capable back up in the even Jake goes down. Peete has nothing left, to be honest Bline does not either. I would love to have Bline back just for its own sake. I do not see him ever playing. That being said either they need to decide Weinkie is able to be a capable back up or they need to drop him and sign someone else. I would feel better with a journeyman type as our back up than I do with our situation now. A Gus Ferrotte or Jeff Blake would be much better than Peete as our backup IMHO.

#1 is set with Jake
    #2 is up in the air to me, either Weinkie grabs it or we have to find a guy
    #3 is for a young guy to groom or for an old guy to mentor (see either Bline or a young guy we find)

10. cathead

cathead Full Access Member

I think Steve will make a good sportscaster. I hope he does the Panther games on TV, but I would really like to hear him do the radio commentary. Mabe do some segments like Kragen use to do.

His playing days are over. All those sacks he gathered in a Panther uniform have caught up with him.