1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Sports Center ranking the positions

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

PantherPaul,

Michael Bennett was certainly considered to be good value at his position, and other teams are reportedly still interested. He's been slowed by injuries over the last three years, but he made good on some opportunities last year. If he's put in the right system, such as Houston, he's definitely capable of 1200 to 1400 yards, assuming he's the lead guy.

2. Fred Smoot's Father

Fred Smoot's Father the future is bright

Weinke is good. He's not great, but he's a solid, experienced #2. Many teams do not have a solid, experienced #2.

And WTF has Schaub done? Torched New England's depleated secondary, and fared nicely vs. our 3rd team defense in January. He played miserably vs. Minnesota, and had one so-so game vs. Seattle in 2004. He gets a ton of hype, and maybe he deserves it. But right now, his rating is in the 60's, right there with the Winkster.

This is all subjective bullshit. You'll have a handfull of folks that will claim that Vick is better than Delhomme, or that Delhomme is better than McNabb. Apples and oranges.

I will say, w/o a doubt, that we are in a pretty damn good spot at QB. Top-4 in the league, I'd say......subjectively, of course.:trophy:

3. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

If you mean good value for the veteren minimum then I concur. He was brought in to be McCallisters BACKUP not the primary guy. The only reason other teams are showing interest is because they know the Saints will no doubt drop him to save cap room as Deuce and Reggie will get 90% of the carries IMO

4. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

As far as back-up QB's go, we stack up fairly well against the rest. Weinke has been in this system longer than any other QB on our roster, which is a big plus. Throw in Delhomme and LeFors (who is capable of being a good backup down the line), and we're in solid shape at the position.

5. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

He was going to be what Bush is going to be, before they thought they could get Bush. They also don't want to phase Stecker out, because he's probably capable of doing things that Bush is not, at least not at this point (route running, blocking). Bennett can be a productive player. A knock on him with the Vikes was that he didn't always seem willing to stick his nose in and block, which surely cut down on his carries. If he goes to a team where someone else can be that guy, he has a chance to be more productive.

6. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

per nflpa Bennetts salary is 700k, the minimum for a guy with his tenure is 585k. Backup There was a lot of rumors going around he was to be dealt to the Titans. If I was him I would be doing all I could to get out of NO. They won't keep him at 700k to be the 3rd or 4th RB

7. HAVEPSL

HAVEPSL Full Access Member

How 'bout
    Tampa Bay: Simms/Rattay/McCown
    Chicago: Grossman/Griese
    SD: Feeley
    SL: Ferotte

8. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

I'd say that there's an outside chance of him staying. They could see him as the short term back-up for McCallister, and cut him after the season. His contract allows that to happen without taking much cap damage. But I do expect him to be traded. Tennessee sounds kinda odd, because they're trying to get rid of a similar type of running back. I could see Houston being interested, as well as Miami.

9. Fred Smoot's Father

Fred Smoot's Father the future is bright

That's all fine and well, but I still put Delhomme ahead of any of the aforementioned team's starters. I would also say that there's not a significant dropoff from any of the aforementioned QB's and Weinke. In fact, I'd take Weinke over Feeley and McCown, and possibly Rattay.

If your basing it on "total" QB situation, I'd say Carolina's near the top of the league. Hard to quantify it, but you could argue top-5, and not look stupid doing it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  10. sockittome16

sockittome16 Full Access Member

Chris Weinke is still playing? Wasn't he 35 when we drafted him :eek:D