1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Sosa caught with cork in his bat

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by K-Town-Yankee, Jun 3, 2003.

1. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Whats the first thing you think of when you say Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry? Spit ball. Did he throw it everytime? Of course not. Both are Hall of Famers but both cheated. He will have to bare the scrunity for the rest of his career IMO. Like someone said on the radio, why is it almost humorous when I pitcher gets caught cheating, but a hitter cheats he is all but attacked? Strange

2. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

I think you're way off here Paul.

Sosa's homers aren't tainted.

and NOBODY wins anywhere close to 314 games throwing an illegal pitch every game.

3. Piper

Piper phishin member

Actually Perry threw the spitter all the damn time, pretty much every game. And he never, ever got caught, or rather umps didn't care, which was the funny part. He actually showed how he cheated to TV cameras before he retired.

Mike Scott was another one. Never got caught, but them were some messed up balls he threw.

This is more like when Neikro got caught with the file. Foriegn objects seem to be more scandolous, and less funny, than an old man throwing spitters. For whatever reason.

And like I said, I think if he'd used it before, he'd have gotten caught. But even still it doesn't do a damn thing to his home run totals. 2 oz doesn't make up for losing 3 feet in distance.

4. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Wossa, you honestly don't think Perry threw a spitter on occassion whenever he took the mound every game? Hell from what I have read he threw it SEVERAL times during a game. I don't attribute a corked/altered bat to Sosa's homers, hell he is a strong man and didn't need to do what he does in BP or any other time. I just think that he screwed up ROYALLY. Everytime he hits a homer some fans will say "cork" If he cheated once and was caught some will doubt it's/his legitamacy

5. K-Town-Yankee

K-Town-Yankee Full Access Member

Sosa has been in a major slump lately and he just got desparate.He knew exactly what he was doing.He should take his medicine(8 games) like a man.

6. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

I heard on ESPN radio this weekend that there was a "C" on the handle of the bat he used. Couple that with the fact that none of his other bats was corked and, for me at least, the evidence seems to point to the fact that Sammy had a corked bat he used for BP and that bat somehow got mixed in with his normal game bats. At the very worst, he decided to try to use that bat in order to break out of his slump, but that would still make it an isolated case. And he wouldn't need a bunch of corked bats for BP, cause you don't break bats in BP.

7. K-Town-Yankee

K-Town-Yankee Full Access Member

I've broken a few bats taking batting practice in years past.Long before the aluminum bats became fashionable.So it can happen.