1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

So how good are we?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Thelt, Sep 14, 2008.

1. kickazzz2000

kickazzz2000 CURRENTLY ON THE CAN

7-9

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

Yeah, there's reason to be optimistic, but then again look at the Giants last year. They looked like dog shit for most of the season before turning it on there at the end. Few teams maintain a level of performance throughout the season. There are times when we'll look good and times when we'll look bad, we just have to hope that there are more of the former than latter. But your point about waiting for the divisional games is well taken, as those will matter a lot more.

Moreover, I'm really becoming alarmed by our coaching and I'm wondering if it's going to hold the team back this year. Crossman continues to be a liability, but for all that talk about how we were going to be more vanilla this year, Trgovac keeps dropping Peppers into coverage. Meanwhile Davidson was better this week, but still not good enough. Running with Goings? Throwing that often on first and second down? It's no coincidence that our second half comeback coincided with an increased effort at running the ball. I understand the need to keep defenses honest, but while you mix things up some, you still shouldn't go completely away from what's working. Also, we need to junk those pulling plays. They're too slow to develop and we had a lot more success on basic dives and off-tackle runs today.

3. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

My brother and I were at the game, and we had the feeling that Fox might have been calling offensive plays in Q4. Doubt it, but he's done it before.

I like that we're 2-0. It's a results business. The offense should look more settled when we get 89 back this week. The running game is promising.

We had a shitload of coaching issues in 2003, as well, and won a handful of games just like this one. Crossman is fucking teflon man. Davidson is not calling great games, or even good ones. But it's the PENALTIES that concerns me. That's a player issue first, coaching issue second. They're all to blame, really. I mean, illegal formations? At home? C'Mon?

Peppers in coverage today--think you could attribute that to Chicago's quick slant heavy pass game. Pep had one deflection at the line that could have gone for 6, had he recovered it. Still, he's a rusher, and should be used as such.

We're 1/2 thru the 1st quarter, and are 2-0. I ain't complaining.

4. Collin

Collin soap and water

Yeah, the penalties in the first half were unbelievable. Good point.

5. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

Unreal. We actually had an illegal formation on Baker's best punt, an amazing coffin corner that had the bears pinned inside the 10.

It didn't cost us in the end, but kicking to Hester again is never a good thing. I was about ready to run on the field and piss in Crossman's nose, at that point.

6. kickazzz2000

kickazzz2000 CURRENTLY ON THE CAN

During the two Stewart TD's I immediately ran to the bathroom to miss the inevitable holding penalty to nullify the play.

It worked.

7. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

Much better than the last 2 years. How much? We'll see. Whatever the answer is, it will be fun to find out, unlike either of the last 2 years.

The leadership situation seems to be much, much better, and that's a great step.

8. Dukesuckgounc

Dukesuckgounc Let's go Panthers

I think this 08 panthers is very much Similar to the 03 team.In we had SDavis and we were very good running the ball.The Defense was very good .And Jake was just Jake not very good but at the some time not bad either.I think if we can keep it simple as far as play calling .And avoid stupid penalties .Then we can really good maybe go 12-4

9. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I would give us an even shot against TEN, NE, BUF, ARI right now. I would say we would be underdogs against the rest.

10. Collin

Collin soap and water

As much as people bitch about Peppers not being vocal, he was all up in Charles Johnson's grill after that personal foul.