1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Smith Signed

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Kerry, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Malapoo

Malapoo Full Access Member

:applause: :cheers: :kiss: :banana: :banana: :invasion: :aok: :boune: :jump:

2. sec551

sec551 more pissed off than ever

I had an authentic custom one made his rookie year (which I wear when I don't wear my Cooper!) and I was sweatin'.

3. luchadore

luchadore A joke is a serious thing

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Smith's deal is worth approximately $28 million and includes about $11 million in signing and option bonuses.

5. Sackem90

Sackem90 Misplaced Panthers Fan

I thought this was interesting.

Remember how it was discussed on here if the Panthers were going to include a behavior clause in Smith's contract if we offered him an extension? Well, it looks to be none was written into the contract. This excerpt comes from Darin Gantt's column:

But as electrifying as the on-field highlights have been, his off-field problems often looked like they were going to derail his promising career.

In 2002, he was suspended one week by the team for punching teammate Anthony Bright in the face, breaking his nose in the process. And early this season, he went on a profanity-laced tirade about the lack of an extension the day defensive tackle Kris Jenkins received a new contract.

However, his agent said that didn't factor into negotiations. Some teams include clauses into contracts which allow them to recoup parts of signing bonuses if players are arrested or misbehave, but Fox said Monday that wasn't a part of Smith's new deal. Panthers general manager Marty Hurney wouldn't comment on the issue other than to say the team wrote the deal with the standard language regarding conduct.

"Through the whole process, there was never one mention by the team about Steve's behavior," Fox said. "That never became an issue in the negotiations.

"I think Steve's grown a great deal as a person through some of those things. He's a young man with a strong personality, but he's matured over the years."

>>Maybe the Panthers think that Steve has grown up some and has his temper pretty well in check. But, I thought that that was interesting.

6. The Cat

The Cat Full Access Member

They just didn't want to piss him off. You know how he gets!

7. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

No additional behavior clause for insurance is a mistake, IMO. Mark my words -- it will come back to bite this organization.

8. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

he can still be fined by the team for his behavior

9. Reznor

Reznor Sunspots

Yeah, but that obviously wouldn't alleviate eating all the bonus money in a one year cap hit if he were to be convicted of murder or something. I agree that it's a mistake, I was hoping for some behavioral clauses. Any word on if the deal can potentially grow through performance-based incentives?

10. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

Sure, but compare even a stiff fine or suspension to denial of a bonus, or even terminating the contract without penalty. That's got some teeth. It's a deterrent. Fining a guy with a $30M contract a few thou is an annoyance. To some, it's even a badge of honor.