1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Smith blows up verbally

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by batgrafix, Oct 2, 2003.

1. mattarific

mattarific Never Good Or Bad Just...

agreed. pisses me off though

2. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

Tell him Bright's agent is on the phone talking about pressing charges if he doesn't take what he's offered:D

3. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

Based on his play so far this year, I'd be offended if I were dubbed "marginal". Smith has played as well as any #2 in the league, IMO.
    However, he can't expect a contract NOW. He needs to sustain that productivity over time. Plus, see how he reacts w/ Dyson back in the line-up. I suspect that will be the key, if he holds off Dyson, he'll get a contract more to his likeing. Later is the time for this...not now. His agent needs to step the fuck off and not make waves right now when the team is rolling.
    His Return ability alone gives him great value and he is at worst an excellent #3, if not a decent #2.

4. luchadore

luchadore A joke is a serious thing

Smith deserves atleast the same as Az Hakim compare their best years in the NFL and Smith is better.

5. Paladin

Paladin Full Access Member

So who was actually pushing for a contract or at least contract talks right now? Smith, his agent, or the Panthers?

The whole blow-up worries me considerably. I was highly disturbed after the Bright situation, but was willing to give Smith a chance to reform himself. He seemed to matured significantly over the past year, going to anger managment classes, talking about only worrying about his own play and stuff. But after this incident, it seems little has changed. Even if this incident does not become disruptive to the team, how long will it be before he has another explosion? The guy is a freakin' time bomb.

6. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Son of Anarchy

I'm just worried this whole thing is gonna be a distraction that costs us the game, or worse, that Smith costs us the game because he makes a bonehead play. I don't think he'll intentionally screw up, but I'm not sure he should play this game. I say give Young a chance and let Smart return the kicks this week. We need this game bad. This is at home and we've got Indy away next week.

7. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Yeah, Az-Hakim is actually a decent comp:

Heavily backloaded, if all fails this is OK. I think Smith is a better receiver....

$5.25 million bonus
    Salary History

2002 525000.00 cap cost - $1.6 million
    2003 1000000.00 - cap cost - $2.05 million
    2004 1850000.00 - cap cost - $2.9 million
    2005 2350000.00 - cap cost - $3.4 million can be cut for smallsavings
    2006 4625000.00 - cap cost - $5.7 million (cut or extend)

I'd be OK with this ONLY if he really comes around, and continues to be a stud punt returner. Realistically, he'll get this in free agency because Hakim did. We could put the first round tender on him, and save the hassle of having to decide this year, and that may be wise - he might not INCREASE his market value in 2004 when we put the first rounder on him.

8. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

blame the agent........

......for using the Panthers good fortune as leverage in contract negotiations. IMO he has played Smith like the proverbial fiddle and knows that he can push his buttons. His hopes are that Carolina will be more willing to give in to his demands vs. risking team chemistry WHILE they are winning. Agents are scum.

9. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

He is lucky we did not cut his sorry ass last year. If I were Fox I would give him his walking papers. He loses as many games as he wins. Sure he helped win the Tampa game with his return in overtime but he lost the Tampa game last year with a late fumble. I would just as soon let Proehl start.

10. Sackem90

Sackem90 Misplaced Panthers Fan

I think Hurney may have tried to give SS some constructive criticism thru his agent, and the dumbass (the agent) took it the wrong way and "tattled" to SS.

Think back to a few years ago to KJ's situation. He was out partying all night and going to sleep in the team meetings. He also was eating crappy and not working out like he should've. He went "downhill" until the Panthers told him to shape up or ship out. He started eating healthier, lifting weights more, quit partying, and had his sleeping disorder taken care of this past offseason. Maybe Hurney told SS's agent to tell him to hone his skills a little more to be paid #2 WR $$. Hurney probably told SS's agent that he's a kickass PR & KR but needs to work on his receiving skills. Who knows what was really said in the meeting. I'm only guessing here.