1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Smith blows up verbally

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by batgrafix, Oct 2, 2003.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I don't know what Hakim signed for, but I'll take a stab. You write in an extension that starts next year - you give him three years more, total of $8 mil. $2 mil up front (costs us $500k this year), $1 mil next year, roster bonuses the two years after that of $500k more. Next year's salary's $1 mil, same for 05, give $2 mil for 06. That's all I'd give him. It's way heavy on bonus, and I hate that, but I think it'll have to be heavy on bonus to get him to sign something like this. The thing is, with that staggered bonus, you say he's getting a total of $4 mil in bonuses, but you're not giving it all up to him immediately. Meaning he still has to play to earn some of it. Meaning he's tradeable/cuttable.

That, or you add another two years to it, put $4 mil salaries on it, and sell it as a 5 year $16 mil contract, and never intend to pay him that last two years.

I dunno. I'd sweat him. if he's gonna start getting like he's playing for a contract, maybe he'll start playing better. Motivate himself selfishly.

2. DaveW

DaveW Super Moderator

If he wants a boatload fuck him let him bitch and "not be distracted".

They should tell him he's got 15 games to earn a boatload of $$.

3. DaveW

DaveW Super Moderator

4. batgrafix

batgrafix hannle yo biddness

Smith said he was a young guy, and should have kept his mouth shut. He's been really classy. Said he doesn't want more money, but wants to have stability here for his family. Honestly, very classy in the way he's handling it, what do you think Meat? I know you are listening...

5. LitterBox999

LitterBox999 Enjoy your winter.Scumbag

What the fuck is it with this guy? Shit was flowing along smoothly and then the bottom drops out.

It's a negotiation....... Things get said that sway the process in your favor. His agent should be shot in the neck! It sounds to me like he was trying to sabotage the negotiation and get Smith out on the open market.

6. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

He sounds extremely mature and contrite. I'm stunned.

7. lj4three

lj4three Resident Non-A-Rab

Wow. Steve Smith is pissed. He has admitted that he shouldnt have exploded and his excuse was that he was inexperienced. He had a meeting with the team but didnt voice his opinion, and vented in the media. Packman is telling his personal experience about his negotiations with WFNZ that "things are said by agents and the other side" and dont take it personal. Packman tells him not to get emotional because contract negotiations are messy- and that things will work out the best for you in the end. Smith agrees. But he is voicing that his reason for wanting a contract is not the $$- but he wants a contract because he wants to raise a family in charlotte and he felt insulted. Smith says he's young and the contract is not about the money and he wont let the game effect his play- he lives for sunday and not collecting his paycheck. He doesnt want to even deal or think about a contract now because he thinks it will disrupt the team. He says he'll put his agent in his place (to basically STFU and stop talking to the panthers).

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

What's more important - how Smith controls his media situation and plays damage control, or how he reacted?
    What's more important - how he acts toward WFNZ, or how he acted around and to his players? He can be a media distraction all day. A team distraction is bad news.

9. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

It's more important to not spout off at the mouth for no good reason.

But since THAT'S not what happened, I was impressed that he was immediately contrite. If I was a teammate with someone, that would matter.

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof