1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Shadow Draft

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Collin, May 1, 2006.

1. Collin

Collin soap and water

And you thought mocks were geeky. With a shadow draft, you go back and re-do your team's picks however you would have made them. You can select any player who was taken at or below that particular selection.

#27) DeAngelo Williams (figure most everyone is going to keep that one)
    #58) Richard Marshall (only a guard would tempt me, and even then not very much)
    #88) Will Blackmon (Marshall would make him extraneous, but he's just too good to pass up)
    #89) Ko Simpson (Not Fox's type of safety, but it would still make me feel better)
    #121) Jonathan Scott (have to get that backup OT at some point)
    #155) Jeff King (really tempted by Nicholson and Matua, but I think King will eventually be a starter)
    #234) Will Montgomery (versatility is hard to pass up)
    #237) Stanley McClover (I'm really excited about his potential, so I hope he makes the team)

2. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

27) DeAngelo Williams RB
    58) Darryl Tapp DE
    88) Ko Simpson FS
    89) Will Blackmon CB/KR
    121) Jonathan Scott OT
    155) Kevin Boothe G
    234) Tim Day TE
    237) Spencer Havner OLB

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I'm gonna leave these two, though it would be tempting to take Pope here. If you take Pope, you take Blackmon at 88. I'd have never thought to take Marshall at all, but I warmed to it quickly.

#88) Ko Simpson, S; we needed a guy here. It's hard going DB/DB back to back, but IMO we needed a S more than a CB; we just had a dynamite CB fall into our laps.
    I like the Anderson pick for the most part, but never would've picked an OLB that high with our need set (oddly enough, the next OLB to go after Anderson would be Nande at 137, a full 49 picks away). I can't say I'd have picked an OLB later, and especially not after Nande and Brandon Johnson went in the mid-5th.

#89) Guy Whimper, OT - he or Scott would've made more sense, to me. Scott has the strength issues too, and that's a reason I suggested he might not be a great pick; but he seemed to have a more solid overall game.

#121) This pick would've been a good value time to pick up an Alan Zemaitis to convert to S, or if we hadn't picked up a corner, he'd obviously be good for that as well. I'd as well convert a corner with toughness and physicality as have a limited S. Also, Skyler Green would've made sense as a WR/RS, but not if they do plan on utilizing both Williams and Marshall (names of our 2001 coordinators, to boot) there.
    But since I know I would've taken Matua by 155, and can't settle between a few names here that make any sense given the above quartet I drafted, I'd take Matua here.

#155) Wali Lundy, RB - not a huge need here obviously; however, it sounds as if we're thinking of keeping Robertson onboard. The roster logistics aside, Lundy's an upgrade at both returns and at RB. Or, if it's all the same, I could keep King, in the scenario that wouldn't have me picking Pope at 58.

agreed, these were fine picks.
    Getting Matua might preclude a need for Montgomery, and Massequoi would've made sense there without the King pick in 5. But Montgomery's good enough to be an inactive 9th OL, and as I said before, Montgomery would allow Hangartner to be an active practicing guard as well as active on the roster as a backup C.

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  4. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

I am burnt out on this stuff for another 8 months or so...:thud:

5. rake

rake Need one of these

Was going to post picks but realized I wouldn't be knowing what the hell I was doing.)
    I liked Manning, Harper and Simpson and would have felt good enough about any of them over Salley. However, they seem more like FS types and we need SS . .. maybe Salley will be a decent SS option for us . . . but I still keep thinking TD is going to end up starting at SS. Like our first two picks and our last two picks I will have to believe that our guys took the best value on the board at the positions of need with Salley, Anderson, Butler, and King. Nande and Johnson both timed faster than Anderson and he is not in the same speed class as Spoon either so I'll believe he can play when I see it. Butler seems like a big long-term project and I would think that we could get a RT off the wire to help us more effectively short-term if we really need better backup at OT. Though I really would have wanted Scheffler or even Thomas they both went (like Manning and Harper and several other safeties) sooner than expected. Maybe King can legitimately beat out either Seidman or Gaines. Oddly I feel like our last three picks (6,7, and 8) have a better shot of sticking than picks 3, 4, and 5.
    In conclusion I think our pickers were the victims of positions of need for us getting thinned out too soon for us to do a damn thing about it. There just doesn’t appear to be any other choice than to just reach for a few positions of minor need in the mid rounds. I still think we can find decent vet help on the wire for this year or on our own roster. We could probably use a vet RT and SS . . . maybe a TE if no one else rises to join Mangum in average goodness. Our draft may not be worthy of an A grade but by the early impression it's a good enough draft and I definately can't come up with anything appreciably better. :thumbup:

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  6. Collin

Collin soap and water

Nah, he's quite a bit faster than that one combine 40 time. Whether or he slipped or whatever, he's a legitimate 4.45-4.55 guy.

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Hope so. Certainly, having that range, he's a much stronger prospect than if he's a 4.62 guy.

8. Meth

Meth Member

It's hillarious to me, a fan of a team that won three Super Bowls, that you mere mortals care so much about your shitty draft. lmao......god you fucking Panther fans kill me. It's almost as funny as you claiming to have a rivalry with Atlanta. I mean shit, when they pack 40-50 percent of your stadium, I hardly call that a rivalry. Same with Dallas, I went to that game and it was almost 50/50. lmfao.

9. klgeorge13

klgeorge13 Molon Labe

Hey Meth,

[​IMG]

10. Meth

Meth Member

I love you too Jesus!