1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Sendek gone?

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by Wp28, Apr 1, 2006.

1. 44Magnum

44Magnum Full Access Member

Ok, so at UNC or Duke, or Kentucky, or UCLA, or any other school with dreams of playing for a National Title just getting there should be enough? I don't think that would cut it. Same thing at NC State, that's not good enough. As for 8-20, yeah UNC did that. Yeah, that was reason enough, so what about the previous 5 years at NCSU (before the "unbelievable" feat of 5 straight tournament appearances?) I was wanting him fired then. For the same reason you guys wanted Doherty (sp?) gone. Secondly, when UNC won the NC a couple years later, who recruited those players? The man you fired. Could Doherty have won a NC with those same players? Who can say for certain? I believe that part of the reason for the 8-20 record wasn't so much the coach as it was his predecessor, Bill Guthridge's ability (or inability) while he was the head coach to recruit quality basketball players. Anyone associated with UNC basketball can tell you they weren't happy with his recruiting, yet they fire one of their alumni because of a bad season? I'm just saying that no matter how outlandish it might seem to some, us State fans have reason to believe that we can compete nationally. Sendek will run a clean program and he will make the NCAA tournament some years and not some others. But he will always struggle to win big without some type of change to his philosophy, and he hasn't shown that he's willing to do that in the 10 years he's been in Raleigh. So, in my own opinion it is the best time for something like this to happen and I hope he does well at ASU. Also, I don't blame the UNC or Duke fans for being protective of him, I would be too if he were coaching them. Now maybe we can give them something to worry about with a new coach and philosophy in town.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  2. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

FYI, 44, I am not a UNC fan or alum. I didn't fire anyone.

I am, however, a fan of Herb. Class individual, solid coach, just didn't do enough fast enough to appease the Wolfpack fans.

3. 44Magnum

^That's cool. Herb is a class individual, but we're dealing with a million dollar a year salary. This is a business, no matter what way you look at it. So, are we getting the best bang for our buck, so to speak, with Sendek? No. The UNC fans are trying to act like we were when all of us State fans know we weren't. As I have said many times before, I wish him the best of luck. I just don't think any other school should tell us we don't have a top notch athletic program and shouldn't try to achieve the best we can. So, no offense towards you.

4. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

Why was I under the impression Sendek was pulling down 600K in Raleigh and will go to 1.3 in AZ?

5. The_professor

The_professor ★☆☆☆

let it go mike.

6. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

ok

7. The_professor

The_professor ★☆☆☆

hehe

8. Odin

Odin Full Access Member

Nope, 10 years is certainly not fast enough. Herb's a good guy, a quality guy, but he will never be a top line coach. He's taken us a far as he ever will, it's time to move on.

9. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

how many post season appearances did NCSU make in the 10 years before Herb?

Herb left with 9 all told, albeit 4 were NIT's.

10. 44Magnum

Yeah, as a true State fan I was excited as hell when we went to the NIT. Just couldn't hold it all in, sure wish we could have won it though. Then we could have been the 66th best team in the nation. As for the 10 years before that, didn't we get rid of that coach too?

As for the salary, check your source. He made over a million dollars a year when you add base salary, camp income, endorsement income and appearance fees (few and far between). All contracts are based on this. Ask any DI coach and you'll see that camps and endorsements are a major factor in salaries. But let's say he did just have a salary of 600K, still too much.

Anyway, Solarte, we will just have to agree to disagree I guess. You like Herb and his style, I don't. I'm glad he's gone, evidently you aren't. So, on to more important things...our next coach!