1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Sendek gone?

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by Wp28, Apr 1, 2006.

1. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

this board's still broke

2. sockittome16

sockittome16 Full Access Member

I always see Calipari as a slimeball. Didn't he get caught at UMASS for paying Camby, and I wouldn't doubt it at all if his Memphis program is extremely corrupt. He's a slimeball but he can coach. I think State fans need someone who can come in and win right away. I think the coach from Wichita State would be a great choice. Just don't know anything about him.

3. stickwolf

stickwolf Full Access Member

The only problem with him is and Mark it down......If He comes to State, All the crap from UMASS will once again be a hot topic. State Sells out blah blah blah. I can hear it. And It will come to light. Do I want to win BB games ......Yes........Do I think He would......Yes...But the guys in the media......(And He** No I'm not one of those conspiracy guys,) will have a Field Day. And keep trying to paint it in a negative light. Don't know if the negative pub is worth it. Nevermind whether anythings happened since or not.

I Do Think That After what happened in the 80's The Administration and Faculty will watch ANYBODY very, very close. So Yes Calapari or anybody else,would have to mind his P's And Q's, But we would be reminded every day about what happened at UMASS,IMO

4. stickwolf

See what I mean, As Far As I know hes never had a problem at Memphis, But Perception is What do they say?? First Time He beat Roy or K or Got a recruit from them it would be the same stuff and I just don't know if its worth it.

5. stickwolf

As Far As Barnes not being "Interested" Or What he told the paper in Austin

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060403/NEWS/60402015/1005/FRONTPAGE

Once Again FWIW

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  6. 44Magnum

44Magnum Full Access Member

You know what I'm tired of hearing? All these UNC fans blasting State fans for the way they treated Sendek. How about how you guys treated your last coach, after Roy turned you down the first time? How was that again? Didn't the players come in and have him fired? Don't say a thing about treating a coach the way you guys do. On that same note, I understand why you guys wanted a change, and its the same thing in Raleigh. We just want to compete at a high level, much like UNC and Duke does. And the brass at NCSU will put up the cash to do it. Being 3rd fiddle doesn't cut it and with Sendek that's what we were (and sometimes 4th when you include Wake). If the next coach comes in and does like Sendek and just barely sneaks in to the NCAA tournament we will be unhappy then as well. I don't buy for one minute that NCSU can't compete for the sole reason that you have programs like George Mason, Wichita State, etc. making it deep in to the NCAA tournament. If they can compete, I'm sure a school with 2 NCs and many ACC titles thrown in with a ton of money can compete.

7. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

point taken, but who is to say that Herb wasn't the guy that could do it? Perhaps support from the entire fanbase, not just a small portion of it, would have done wonders for the guy. But hey, it is what it is.

8. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

The Tarheel responses to about how Herb was treated is .01% as bad as how the Wolfettes treated him

9. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Arizona St. to name Sendek its coach today; Barnes not interested

INDIANAPOLIS - A day after coach Herb Sendek decided to leave N.C. State for Arizona State, the Wolfpack's top recruit in the class of 2007 said he has withdrawn his commitment.

Chris Wright, a 6-foot-1 junior point guard from St. John's College High in Washington, D.C., said Sunday he will reopen his recruitment. Wright said that though Sendek wasn't the sole reason for his commitment, he was a significant factor.

"It was probably the best decision for him the way things were playing out for him at State with the way the fans were getting on him," Wright said.

Scout.com ranks Wright as the 30th-best player overall in his class. Wright said he did not have a list of schools he will consider.

Arizona State is expected to introduce Sendek as its head coach at a news conference Monday. Sendek left N.C. State after going 191-132 there over 10 seasons with five straight NCAA tournament appearances but waning fan support.

Texas' Rick Barnes of Hickory, one of the coaches atop N.C. State fans' wish list, told the Austin (Texas) American-Statesman on Sunday that he is not looking to leave Texas and is happy there. Barnes also said last month before facing N.C. State in the NCAA tournament in Dallas that he was not interested in coaching in the ACC.

"I feel the same as I felt when I was asked that question in Dallas," Barnes said Sunday, according to the Austin paper's Web site. "I have one of the best jobs in the country. I've got no other thoughts about (N.C. State)."

Former N.C. State player Nate McMillan, the Portland Trail Blazers coach, reportedly told The Columbian Newspaper of Vancouver, Wash., that he has no interest in leaving the Blazers to coach at N.C. State.

"They haven't contacted me, and that's not something that I would do right now," McMillan said in a report on the paper's Web site.

Other candidates for the N.C. State job could include Memphis' John Calipari, Miami's Frank Haith of Burlington, N.C., Fordham's Dereck Whittenburg, New Orleans' Monte Towe and George Mason's Jim Larranaga. Whittenburg and Towe played on NCAA champion teams at N.C. State.

N.C. State athletics director Lee Fowler had been in Indianapolis for the Final Four, but flew back to Raleigh on Sunday to meet with the team. Efforts to reach him on his cell phone Sunday were unsuccessful.

Sendek met with the team at 9 a.m. Sunday, said Mark Brackman, the father of N.C. State player Andrew Brackman, and explained that he was leaving to do what's best for his family.

Mark Brackman said it's far too early for Andrew to decide what his plans might be. Brackman, a sophomore forward, also is a top baseball prospect and a pitcher for the Wolfpack. Larry Davis, N.C. State's top senior signee, also is adopting a wait-and-see approach, according to his mother, Regina Davis. Larry Davis, a 6-3 shooting guard from Middle Village, N.Y., is ranked 79th in his class by Scout.com and has signed scholarship papers committing him to N.C. State.

10. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

Agreed. And they also had the team mutiny in Chapel Hill to deal with, the 8-20 season. The players opinions of Doherty also. The scene on Chapel Hill was far worse considering all the crap that surrounded it. Herb getting gone was the byproduct of making 5 NCAA's in a row, and having it not be good enough.