1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Senators Sabres brawl 2/22

Discussion in 'Carolina Hurricanes' started by Franchise, Feb 23, 2007.

1. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

Yes, they fight in other sports and get blasted by the fans and media for doing so. In hockey you personally applauded them for it. Do you applaud the players involved in NBA fights or call them thugs?

I'm not trying to bash hockey, I know you love it. I just can't help but notice how differantly the media treats fights in hockey compared to other sports. When a fight spontaneously erupts in the NBA now and then all you hear for weeks is a bunch of self rightous BS and how the league is in shambles but when a hockey coach sends out his meanest to intentionally start a small riot it's commendable.

2. chipshot

Who are the best/most feard enforcers right now?

3. Playa

Playa The coach is a near

Hockey fans are so sensitive.

4. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

thing is, fights in hockey have been around since the game was invented. Not so much in baseball, basketball, football, and so on. Yet those that thing hockey is "barbaric" because of the fights (not pointing a figner at you mind you), only see the fights and say "LOOK LOOK!!! OUR KIDS SHOULDN"T SEE THIS!!!" I prefer hockey games without fights, because I am seeing the skill and speed and the game itself. But, when the situation calls for it, things get done. My role when I played was defenseman, but I was usually the first guy to help out one of my teammates if it got ugly, which I didn't mind at all.

It's a part of the game--for better or worse--and those that think it's just stupid are only half right. It's also necessary (at times).

5. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

couldn't be said better Solarte. I really believe you have to grow up with hockey to understand the facets of the game, and how it's played.

I would also throw in, fighting in hockey isn't like any other sport. I've never done it, but I would imagine fighting with skates, on ice, is pretty tough...so typically, in majority of fights the amount of "landed punches" would be around 4-6? I'm not sure, but I'd rather get in a fight on the ice, than have a pitcher throw a 99 mph fastball at my head just because he got pissed off because someone threw at his teammate.

6. chipshot

I've been watching alot of fights on youtube via hockeyfights.com....they land alot of punches and the fights are much more brutal than those from other sports.

7. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

of course. They won't show the thousands more fights that go: skate in, attempted punch, fall down, opposing dude lands on top, refs get in...fight over. Those won't be found on youtube, those are the boring ones. There are good brutal fights with the more experienced players, that keep their balance better, but for one of those, there are 5 fights that may land a punch of two, and the player falls down.

8. imking4aday

imking4aday Senior Member

Just watch "Slapshot" - that's why there's fighting in hockey

9. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

:stfu: